All Keyboard Keys As Actor Event

danbru1989danbru1989 Member Posts: 3
edited December 2019 in Working with GS (Mac)

I think that I've come to a conclusion on this question...the answer being "No", but I just thought that I'd confirm.

Is there a simple way to add an actor event that will listen for ANY key being pressed and save the pressed key to an attribute? It's my first GameSalad creation and I just want to be able to type words into the game...

I don't want to use the Keyboard Input behavior because the interface will interrupt gameplay. (Unless I'm missing something there)

So the only way that I've found to be able to accomplish ANY key being pressed is to manually setup EVERY key on the keyboard as a rule on the actor. Also, I would have to manually assign EVERY key's result as well.

Example:
If "1" pressed, change attribute "Typing" to "game.Typing..1".
If "2" pressed, change attribute "Typing" to "game.Typing..2".
If "3" pressed, change attribute "Typing" to "game.Typing..3".
etc...

Is this the only way? Really disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a simpler solution for such a standard way of interaction.

Best Answer

Answers

• danbru1989danbru1989 Member Posts: 3

Thanks for clearing that up! Too bad...

I'm new to everything, but it seems like GS has gone through some relapse for the past several years. Is GS development ramping up again? It would be nice to see this issue addressed.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

As impressive as GameSalad is as a tool, there are some truly baffling aspects of having followed its development for many years now.

Things such as on-screen grids or even more standard features such as window memory (see below) are asked for over and over by users and nothing changes. I don't really understand it. I know they have to put their resources towards things like ad services because people want and need to be able to monetize a tool like this but at some point it's equally if not more important that the tool be user-friendly.

Your "any" key event detection would seem straight-forward to implement so I'm not sure why it's not included already.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• danbru1989danbru1989 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2019

...hmm...very unfortunate. :/

Yes, I fully expected things to snap to a grid when I first used it. I couldn't believe that basic functionality has been absent for many years.

• sinbotsinbot Member Posts: 232

Definitely. I also find that if I make the actor menu larger as you did the program tends to crash fairly soon after, especially if importing graphics.

the biggest gripe in that area for me is whenever I select an actor in the scene sub-menu, then make adjustment within that actor and click back, I am routed back to the main menu layout. the same thing happens when working with an actor in the main menu, so I have to keep scrolling back down to find the next actor to fine tune. super irritating.> @tatiang said:

As impressive as GameSalad is as a tool, there are some truly baffling aspects of having followed its development for many years now.

Things such as on-screen grids or even more standard features such as window memory (see below) are asked for over and over by users and nothing changes. I don't really understand it. I know they have to put their resources towards things like ad services because people want and need to be able to monetize a tool like this but at some point it's equally if not more important that the tool be user-friendly.

Your "any" key event detection would seem straight-forward to implement so I'm not sure why it's not included already.