Actor disappears from stage when scrolling up/down (file attached)

Can anyone tell why the scrolling actor in this scene disappears when scrolled too high or low? My guess is that too much of the actor is moving beyond the boundary of the stage. If this is true, is there workaround?

Comments

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

I believe when an actors origin moves more than 500 pixels out of a scene it is automatically deleted by the engine. I'm not sure of a workaround.

• sinbotsinbot Member Posts: 232

Isn't there a way to wrap an actor or something? Like to have it reappear on other side of stage? Do you think this would work in this case?> @jamie_c said:

I believe when an actors origin moves more than 500 pixels out of a scene it is automatically deleted by the engine. I'm not sure of a workaround.

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793
    edited February 2020

? if self position.x >= change self position.x to a position just off camera on the opposite side - and flipped for an actor going the other way.

there should be a gshelper/t-shirt booth video on youtube that goes through this (uses clouds to illustrate).

or you could check ‘wrap x’ on your scene properties, but then whatever portion of the actor goes off the edge will appear on the opposite side when it scrolls.

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

now having looked at it, that’s a massive actor you’re sliding. you probably need to make the scene bigger (same size as the actor), and try positioning the scene camera in the middle of the y.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

The 500px limit is right near the top of my wishlist for @adent42's time. Being able to adjust it would be amazingly helpful.

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

I agree with @Armelline. Having the limit made sense when the iPhone display resolution was 320x480. But that was a long time ago! Time to update....

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Am I imagining this or wasn't the limit once more like 1000 or even 1500 pixels? I seem to remember being able to let actors drift for a long time off-screen and even needing to remember to delete them to save on memory/processing effects.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• sinbotsinbot Member Posts: 232

excellent idea! didn't occur to me. I will try this.> @bob loblaw said:

now having looked at it, that’s a massive actor you’re sliding. you probably need to make the scene bigger (same size as the actor), and try positioning the scene camera in the middle of the y.