Maximum games size on the playstore

I just came across a discussion that says that with Gamesalad you can publish games of maximum 100 MB on the playstore .... is that true? Practically cut the legs to any game that is not miniscule, I could never do anything I want, it seems like a nightmare, but it seems strange to me such a limitation, can anyone clarify this?

Comments

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069
    edited February 2020

Yes that's right, it is a limitation of GS not supporting something called android expansion files

This is a process where you offload the main assets of an app to a different location and expand/move them upon first time launch and is a requirement of Google Play.

Because GS packages everything into the APK and doesn't support expansion files, we cannot use google play for large games.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• UltraLionBluUltraLionBlu Member Posts: 157

I was shocked I was so launched in using gamesalad ... 100 MB is not a small limitation but a gigantic limitation, fortunately I discovered this thing in time.
    So it's also true that for the App Store there are no problems but going ahead to try the game I would need an iPhone that I don't have: /
    thanks for the clarification

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,054

@UltraLionBlu something that helps is to uncheck "Use load time optimized images." Most modern devices are fast enough that this doesn't make too big a difference and will let your images stay their smaller png size instead of our larger preprocessed images.

And yes, I know 100MB would still be a limitation, but that can help. I need to get a few more things finished, but hope to be working on the expansion file sometime in Q2 (Apri-June).

@adent42 said:
    @UltraLionBlu something that helps is to uncheck "Use load time optimized images." Most modern devices are fast enough that this doesn't make too big a difference and will let your images stay their smaller png size instead of our larger preprocessed images.

And yes, I know 100MB would still be a limitation, but that can help. I need to get a few more things finished, but hope to be working on the expansion file sometime in Q2 (Apri-June).

I will check the option in question, thanks for the advice, I think it would still be little for my crazy mind: D
    If this limitation is overcome it would be fantastic, I think it would open up a world, thanks for your work

• jubejube Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2020

Like Apple, Google lets developers use expansion files to exceed the limit to 4GB.
    MyCCPay Portal

@jube said:
    Like Apple, Google lets developers use expansion files to exceed the limit to 4GB.

On the Playstore there is a limit of 100 MB just because Gamesalad does not support these expansion files
    But they will work between April and June to overcome this great limitation. It says right above

@adent42 said:
    @UltraLionBlu

@adent42 can I ask you if something is moving to publish bigger games on android?

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,054

Not yet, we've been concentrating on updates to iOS for the new app store requirements.