Playing with 'Big Top Blast' template - encountering an issue

LokitoesLokitoes Member, PRO Posts: 187

Hi guys,

I'm playing around with a template that comes with GS, I think it's called Big Top Blast - it's an Angry Birds style template.

I had a question about it - when you start playing it, it has a big 'play' button on the screen that you need to press to get started. It renders everything else on the screen unusable until it is pressed. I had hoped to remove this button and use an opening scene instead. I'm going to use an full opening scene instead so that people can choose some other levels/functions first rather than just having this one level that the game opens on. But if I remove that Play button actor, the whole thing becomes unplayable!

Does anyone mind opening up that template on their screen real quick and having a look in the actor 'titleElements' for me? (Otherwise I can send through my code as well). The play button actor is called titleElements I believe, and it's linked to attributes called 'gameState' and 'type' which may be where my headaches are coming from. Is there a way to unlink them and still have the game work?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

depending on what you’re trying to do, you could just have an actor offscreen that triggers the attribute the play button does without being pressed, and get rid of the play button.

i used that template as the base of my current project and used a scene controller actor to switch the game state (between show scene, play, level finish, level fail and show splash screen before starting a level for the first time), as shown here, in a vid of where i was at a few weeks back:

the scene controller starts with the attribute gamesState=0 (unless there’s a pre-level splash screen). then there’s a bunch of rules that that say if gameState = 0 interpolate camera position to...., if the camera position >=.... interpolate back to start (x= -1 actually). if camera position =-1, change gsmeState to 1 (ie play scene), then rules checking if all enemies hit/frozen viking freed then either level finish or fail (gameState 3 or 4).

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

it’s also set up to unlock more weapons as you progress.