HTML5 Publishing Needs Coding?

Twayne2Twayne2 Member Posts: 458
edited March 2020 in Working with GS (Online)

Let me start out quite honestly. I don't know what I am doing when it comes to actual code almost completely. I can read, and I can change values. I don't know the lingo squat. So, I wanted to publish a HTML5 game to some browser portals, but here I come to a standstill. I don't know how/what to upload. When you have the HTML5 files, there are some sample files of what things should look like I assume. Unfortunately, actually uploading one of them failed. I don't know how to package everything up. How am I supposed to turn 4 folders of stuff apparently, into a cohesive HTML5 file? I assume I am going to need paid help for this, am I correct? Without actually good coding skills, I managed to upload to the Google Play Store, because there was no coding that I actually had to use! I expect this is beast that has to involve coding of sorts, and not basic stuff that I could learn quickly. (Maybe basic for other advanced coders). Is there a way to package everything, specifying my viewing range and all that, easily? And by easily, you know how bad I am, something in my range? Or do I need to create a thread in the programming services area, (if I end up doing this), asking for paid help? :confounded:
Or maybe just use Google Play again? :weary:

Comments

• Twayne2Twayne2 Member Posts: 458

So, one way some instructions in the index file say to go is to upload an iframe to a server, then upload that page to the place you want to put it. Sounds simple enough. I tried google drive though and it didn't work out. Maybe I did something wrong. Any other suggestions? I haven't given up on Google Drove yet though, I guess. I don't really know what else to try in regards to it though.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,054

HTML5 requires some knowledge about how to host web pages. Can you let us know what sites/portals you want to share your games on? The community may have some experience.

edited March 2020

Armorgames and Kongregate.
    Kognregate has an iframe option and a HTML5 option. But I don't have a set HTML5 file, and like I said, don't know what to do about that, except try iframe.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,054

i think you can use the index-sample.html. Just delete the other index files and rename it to index.html

I'm still looking into it to verify what is needed.

After typing up a lot, I decided to backspace it all and say that I think I screwed up when submitting to Kongregate the other day. I may have tried submitting a sample file to an iframe submission... So that index.html file will actually work probably. But, I'm gonna check if I just forgot something that went wrong. I'll report here what the index.html file does tomorrow! Does renaming the file to index.html do anything to the actual file? Also, do I need to subtract the green text in the index file? Does that make it a bigger file? Does that matter for an online portal? I guess for intial loading times maybe, but I don't want to accidentally delete anything important.
    I also will need to resize the index to smaller, which is viewing-area related in the code?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm... can you export an iframe from GS arcade?

No luck. Index.html didn't work, at least on Kongregate preview.

We'll look into the kongregate specs to see if we can help.

Okay, so I was able to upload a game to kongregate:

Step 1: rename sample-index.html to index.html.
    Step 2: On macOS, go into the game package and multi-select: css, game, images, js.
    Step 3: Right Click and "Compress 4 Items"

This will give you two files to use: index.html and Archive.zip. You can rename Archive.zip to something more helpful. (e.g. MyGameNameGameAsset-2020-03-27.zip)

When uploading your game to Kongregate, choose: HTML5/WebGL. Upload index.html where requested. Upload the zip file in the "Additional Files" field.

Fill in everything else like normal.

Hope that helps!

This sounds like it will actually work! (And it did for you, so it should!) Yeah!!!!!! :smiley:

edited March 2020

Success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smiley: :smiley: :grin: