weird?

eboyeboy Member Posts: 239
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
Hello, everytime I enter a value into the CHANGE ATTRIBUTE fields or CONSTRAIN ATTRIBUTE field, I try to run it and nothing happens. Then when I look at it the left field is blank. I tried it again and then same thing happens...The left field is blank and wiped out what I entered but the right field is as I typed it....Any ideas?

Comments

• CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    are you manually typing in stuff on the left side instead of the proper way by selecting from the Attribute Browser?
  • eboyeboy Member Posts: 239
    yes, I manually typed it in...that is wrong? sorry I dont understand how to start an attribute with self.InitialY?

how do you set this attribute? How do you set it in the attribute Browser...???

will there be a manual for GS....the wiki goes only so far...its sorta confusing to figure out...
    thanks for the help.
  • ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    nope, don't manually type it in; instead, just choose it from the browser.

when they say self, they mean the actor's name when its at Game, Devices, and the actor name

Also, is your initialY a game or actor attribute?
    Hello, thanks for the info.....
    the initialY is for an actor, please excuse my ignorance but i really dont know what I am doing...

I have an actor graphic, and I thought I could just plop it into the scene and add the
    CHANGE ATTRIBUTE fields or CONSTRAIN ATTRIBUTE behaviors...

I didnt create a custom attribute, do I have too? Sorry but its all new to me...I really dont know what I am doing so I need all the help I can get.

thanks
    yeah, you create a custom attribute.
    Can you talk me through that...how do I create a custom attribute.....is it an integer? Do I just assign it the name initialY?

and where would that show up in the browser? so many ?'s
    um, usually it could be an integer, but first, what is the initialY for specifically?
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    initialY is probably a position of an actor. So use a real type attribute.

http://gamesalad.com/wiki/how_tos:gsc_create_attribute