Save Progress

Like the title of this says, i'm not sure how to save my progress for my game. Is there an actor that will save the game every second that I need to make? If so can someone please help me how to make it. I want it so it saves how far you went in your game even if you quit it and then join it again.

Comments

• Twayne2Twayne2 Member Posts: 458

So, do you want to save it mid-level, like, pick up where you left off? Or do you want to save what level the player has unlocked? There are three ways you can branch that I will bring up, (avoiding using a network or something, which is beyond my skills in this case): 1. You can have the player save when he/she completes a level automatically (this is for saving how many levels are unlocked); 2. You can have a player press a button to make the level save the current position of your player and they can pick up where they left off; and 3., You can have a player's position continuously saved, so if they leave at any point they can come back. The third option is more strenuous on the system, and it might not be a good idea to try, because the system will have to save the position continuously AND consecutively save it. So I would recommend option 2 if you are trying to save a level mid-way, and option 1 if you want to save unlocked levels.

I typed up some stuff but this is going to be longer than I thought for option 1, (at least), so, could you please tell me if you want to save levels unlocked, or the player's position in a level mid-way? So the player can continue where he/she left off? That's what it sounds like you want.

By-the-way, by mid-way I mean at any point in the level.

• AadeeAadee Member Posts: 24

@Twayne2 said:
    So, do you want to save it mid-level, like, pick up where you left off? Or do you want to save what level the player has unlocked? There are three ways you can branch that I will bring up, (avoiding using a network or something, which is beyond my skills in this case): 1. You can have the player save when he/she completes a level automatically (this is for saving how many levels are unlocked); 2. You can have a player press a button to make the level save the current position of your player and they can pick up where they left off; and 3., You can have a player's position continuously saved, so if they leave at any point they can come back. The third option is more strenuous on the system, and it might not be a good idea to try, because the system will have to save the position continuously AND consecutively save it. So I would recommend option 2 if you are trying to save a level mid-way, and option 1 if you want to save unlocked levels.

I typed up some stuff but this is going to be longer than I thought for option 1, (at least), so, could you please tell me if you want to save levels unlocked, or the player's position in a level mid-way? So the player can continue where he/she left off? That's what it sounds like you want.

Hey, thanks a lot. So I want it both ways actually. I have coins which you can pick up and stuff, but when you die the coins respond, so I want to make it so what ever you have done it saves the coins you have picked up. I thought of making a check point for that and I found some video guides...tell me if you think this is a good idea. I also want it where they can press a save button like you said or even better it automatically saves (either way is fine...which ever is more beneficial). I feel like the player pressing the save button is better and I know we have to use the save attribute for this, but I don't know how to do it. Thanks for helping....this is a really important project for me.

edited March 2020

To me a checkpoint seems unnecessary, and the reason I think so is because we can make the game track how many coins as you collect them, then if you get hit, we can save the coins. Unless you want the coins to only save if you have reached the checkpoint. :)

To save, (which I would just go with instead of automatically saving), we will need to make a pause button actor. And you're right, we will use the save attribute behavior! :smiley:

I will quickly make you something. (I had typed up a lot, but now I decided to do it this way).

@Twayne2 said:
    To me a checkpoint seems unnecessary, and the reason I think so is because we can make the game track how many coins as you collect them, then if you get hit, we can save the coins. Unless you want the coins to only save if you have reached the checkpoint. :)

To save, (which I would just go with instead of automatically saving), we will need to make a pause button actor. And you're right, we will use the save attribute behavior! :smiley:

I will quickly make you something. (I had typed up a lot, but now I decided to do it this way).

Okay! Thank you so much!

Okay it will take me a little bit.

Okay, here you go! :grin:

edited March 2020

If you have any questions, just let me know! Also, if anything doesn't work, I've never done this before saving progress like this and then using a control camera and loading stuff together and so fast, so let me know if there are any apparent problems as well! Maybe I can fix them haha, but then again, maybe not. :grimace: Haha. :lol: :grin:

@Twayne2 said:
    If you have any questions, just let me know! Also, if anything doesn't work, I've never done this before saving progress like this and then using a control camera and loading stuff together and so fast, so let me know if there are any apparent problems as well! Maybe I can fix them haha, but then again, maybe not. :grimace: Haha. :lol: :grin:

Thank you so much, but I have a problem. When I click on your link and try to open it....nothing shows up...litterly nothing. If you could just take screen shots or something so I could see it. Im so sorry and thank you so much!

That's weird, it downloaded for me. What browser are you using? Try right-clicking it then selecting save as or download if any of that works/is an option.

@Twayne2 said:
    That's weird, it downloaded for me. What browser are you using? Try right-clicking it then selecting save as or download if any of that works/is an option.

I did...it even shows in my folder... I don't know whats wrong. Try sending screen shots or something....it's okay if you can't...Thanks tho!

So you are going to have to unzip the folder first, then get in the Gamesalad Creator and click the Gamesalad file. (By opening it). If nothing works, I'll put pictures or something. :smiley:

@Twayne2 said:
    So you are going to have to unzip the folder first, then get in the Gamesalad Creator and click the Gamesalad file. (By opening it). If nothing works, I'll put pictures or something. :smiley:

Okay that worked! Thank you so much!!!!