Help With Publishing!!!

AadeeAadee Member Posts: 24

Hey, I'm having trouble with publishing my game by html5. I have looked at many tutorials but none seem to work. Every time I download my game, the game shows up as a black screen where all I can hear is the music. I don't know what I did wrong and I really need help fast! Please help!

Comments

• Twayne2Twayne2 Member Posts: 458
    edited April 2020

Well I recently went through some of this. Apparently you need a place to host your game. Also, did you unzip the folder that the files came in? Apparently you did. I really can't help much. If your game is a complete game, (or a demo, at least that's what I did,) you can upload to Kongregate games portal and that will be your server. Since the last update to the HTML5 engine by @adent42, apparently files don't work locally anymore. (They did beforehand, at least well on Internet Explorer). Myabe he can get you an older publishing gse file or something.

• Twayne2Twayne2 Member Posts: 458
    edited April 2020

Wish I could help you more.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034
    edited April 2020

@Aadee due to how we need to load fonts and a few other things, a server is required to properly view html5 games (i.e. you can't just double click on the sample-index.html file).

Here's a handy guide from Mozilla. I'm not 100% sure, but I think python comes with Mac and you can download it for Windows.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/Common_questions/set_up_a_local_testing_server

• greglevygreglevy Member, PRO Posts: 85

Hi

Does this mean that we cannot host our games on our WordPress websites?

Thanks

Greg

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

@greglevy, you should be able to host on your own server, wordpress or not. It just has to be uploaded to a server.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

@greglevy what @jamie_c said, you can host on wordpress. You can host on any web server. You just can't double click and run the games from your own file system.