GameSalad Creator 1.25.98 for macOS Release

13»

Comments

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

@Armelline the 100x100 is the default custom resolution, but you should be able to rename it when you set it. I think it just defaults to 100x100 as a label if you don't put anything (which should be fixed).

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

So we'll be doing some more memory testing to be sure, but based on @bob loblaw 's numbers and the ones I saw when developing, I think .100 is safe to release as it's in a similar magnitude of memory usage and keep iterating on memory usage for future release. Unfortunately, the developer that would be best to help with this is working on the Window's build update right now, but we'll do what we can!

So the current intent is for targeting more by aspect ratio than resolution, but we do include multiple resolutions for the 16:9 aspect ratio including the iPhone 6/7 Plus resolution and the 1080p resolutions.

Though I definitely agree we should include iPhone X as a preview target.

• adriangomezadriangomez Member, PRO Posts: 436

@adent42 So what is the signing problem and why don't I ever have a problem with signing? Just trying to figure out if I should update to .100 or not bother.

@adriangomez .100 just works with android apksigner instead of jarsigner (so it works correctly like the manual signing).

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327
    edited October 2020

Ah I never named anything as it's only good for one preview so always seemed pointless.. Previously it showed the custom dimensions you used, now it shows 100x100, so although a tiny issue there's definitely been a change.

There is currently no option to create a project or preview at iPhone X aspect ratio, which is definitely not 16:9. It's the most popular iPhone aspect ratio these days so it's a real hinderance not having that option at all. As @strag said, so much time could be saved by including one or even just getting custom resolutions to persist.

Android signing works great with 100, though. Thanks for fixing that! One minor issue, though - it forgets the location of apksigner each time. Might be because I don't have mine stored in my user folder? It defaults to looking there.

Weird. It saves for us, but I've noticed a few other places where user settings aren't getting saved, so it might all be related. We'll look into it for .101

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

''There is currently no option to create a project or preview at iPhone X aspect ratio, which is definitely not 16:9.''

+1

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

sooo...

iphonex(r/s) : 19.5:9

iphonex: 13:6

iphone8: 16:9

I think our short term idea was to just have you make 16:9 games and adjust to to overflow by detecting the aspect ratio and adjusting your game and UI.

Looking at the difference, it looks like people want to do the iphonex or xr aspect ratios and cut the sides rather than the top/bottom.

For now I'm inclined to leave 16:9 (as it's the most common phone aspect ratio) and have you adjust from there. Once we get the Windows build updated with APK fixes, we'll look into adding something for the iPhoneX or XR ratio (or pick something that's in between that's easier to adjust for).

Doing some more reading, the most common ratios are: 16:9, 18:9, and 19:9 I'll play with overlaying them with each other to see what works out the best.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680

iPhone X has a ratio of 2.17 to 1. By far the longest phone I develop for. It is essential to test for this.

For my testing purposes I usually create a custom resolution of 890x410, purely because it fits nicely on the screen for viewing.

Trouble is it doesn't retain that custom resolution so I'm having to create it every single time.

Surely the easiest fix your end is to enable GameSalad to retain user custom resolutions then we can create anything we need ourselves.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

I'd still recommend people start with 16:9 and adapt at runtime like you say. But previewing those adaptations are such a pain right now, having to input the custom resolution each time. I'd honestly be happy with just having the aspect ratio added to previews, but it seemed it might as well be added to the project resolution options too if you were doing that.

iPhone 8+ with Stretch and camera resizing and actor repositioning is still the best way to go imo. But it would be nice to have the option to go the other way, and being able to preview what something will look like on an iPhone X is essential.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680

Just for the record, I generally create a universal build using iPad as my base.

I then detect device aspect ratio within the app and shift icons around as necessary, using Overscan to clip the sides on longer aspect ratio devices.

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

Yep, previewing those adaptations are the real problem for me. I always start the project using iPad as my base, like @strag

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

@adent42 just thought of something else that might be useful to add to the list of things to tweak in gs. custom fonts have been a great addition to the engine, but one thing they can’t do is change their size relative to a camera size shift. so if a project has a score actor, for example, if the game zooms in/out, and the size of the score actor is constrained to maintain its size, the text it displays will still stay at whatever it is set to display at. might be useful for the display text behaviour to either have a formula option for the text size, or to keep its relative size consistent with the actor is displayed in, if that makes sense.

i noticed this in my current project, where i use custom actors that constrain their size with the zoom (so 4-5 unlocked instances on each scene, which chews up some memory). if i just use one actor with display text i can just use the prototype actor, which has the problem that the actor adjusts its size, but the score doesn’t.