Legends of Learning + GameSalad + YOU!
GameSalad & Legends of Learning are coming together to bring educational games to kids all over the world.
Legends of Learning is a marketplace of web based video games that engages students with gamified learning.
Replace Unity & Construct 2 with GameSalad in the following video:
Now GameSalad games can become Legends of Learning games! You just need to build your games for our HTML5 engine and use the sample-legendsoflearning.html file as your game’s index file! (Well there's more to it than that, but we'll send you the details once you get accepted into the program).
Now a word from Brian Dallesasse, who oversees new curriculum and content at Legends of Learning:
My name is Brian, I oversee new curriculum and new content for Legends of Learning and I’ll be your direct contact.
We are looking to hire independent contractors to design, build and deliver an educational game for one of 236 different Learning Objectives (LO's) in our math sprint. Our Learning Objectives come from the USA Math teaching standards, covering grades 3rd-8th (roughly ages 8-14).
We’ll give you the concepts you need to teach inside your game, and you decide how to make the best game to teach them.
Know how to teach “Adding Fractions” with a side-scroller? Great!
Think you can make an awesome tower defense game to teach “Multiplication by 10”? Go for it!
Games are paid on a revenue share basis, calculated by your game’s playtime relative to total playtime of all games in the sprint or on the platform. To date, we’ve paid out over $4 million to game developers on our platform.
Here's an example of the model:
Guaranteed Payment Periods (First two years of sprint)
- For the first two years on the platform, games are paid on what we call a “Guaranteed Royalty Rate” where only games in the sprint share a pool of dollars allocated directly to this sprint. In this case, across the two years, there are 4 periods with a total payout of $472,000 in each period (~ $1.9 million overall).
- We are currently in the middle of the 2nd period. The 2nd period ends June 30th. Period 3 runs July 1st - Dec. 31st 2020. Period 4 runs Jan. 1st 2021 - June 30th 2021.
- Ex: Game totals 2,000 minutes in one period. There are 400,000 total gameplay minutes in the period.
- The Guaranteed Royalty Rate would be (0.05%)*$472,000.00 = $2,360.
Primary Payment Periods
- After the guaranteed royalty rate periods, games move into payment in our primary royalty rate. Here, games are paid quarterly and are paid based on their playtime relative to all other games on the platform, and the dollar pool is Legends of Learning’s net revenue for that quarter.
- Ex: Game gets played for 1,500 minutes during the quarter. Overall, during the quarter, games are played 1,500,000 minutes. Company’s net revenue is $200,000 during the period.
- The Primary Royalty Rate would be (0.01%)*$200,000 = $2,000.
You will receive more details, including specific contract details, available topics, and how to submit games once you become an approved developer.
I’m happy to provide feedback if you have questions or are stuck, but I really just want a great final product and how you get there is up to you.
Looking forward to seeing your creativity for a math game!
They have very high standards, so don’t expect to make it in without bringing your ‘A’ game (in terms of gameplay and visuals). Here are some examples:
The Fractions Space Tournament (3.NF.A.1 / Understand Fractions as Part of a Whole)
Math Garden: Fluently Multiply and Divide (3.OA.C.7 / Fluently Multiply and Divide within 100)
I encourage you to create a free teacher account on the Legends of Learning platform and explore some of the top-rated games across the math topics!
For their current sprint, Legend of Learning is soliciting Math games. The application flow is as follows:
- Submit an application and samples to Legends of Learning via this form. You are competing against pro developers and game studios, so submit your best work!
- Once you become an approved developer, you will gain access to the Legends of Learning developer forum. Brian will send further administrative details to get you settled. He will send you a list of available learning objectives to choose from, and you will receive a concept document for the learning objective (LO) awarded to you. It is on a first come, first serve model.
- If you are approved as a developer for this sprint, you will also get a contract. Get that signed and returned to them ASAP!
- Make games, submit them, get approved, make money!
We've been cooking this up since the beginning of the year