GameSalad started to instantly freeze when I added a lot to my game.

danielchungrigbydanielchungrigby Member, PRO Posts: 3

I've been working on a mobile game for a month and a half now (I am a pro user), but now when I open up my actors in the hierarchy, GameSalad decides to instantly freeze. I get that I have a lot of actors, but that shouldn't be the issue because when I had just a few less than what I have now, the performance was spectacular! Now that I have a certain amount of actors, I can't work on the game anymore -- even on my $1,200 beefy desktop PC. I am very disappointed and I don't want my time, effort, and money just be for nothing. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Comments

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

did you change any rgb colour values of any of your actors?

the other day i wasted a few hours constructing, and reconstructing a level that kept freezing when i’d test it, even though initially it would work. seemed to be at least one actor (but possibly a cluster of them) that was causing it to freeze.

• danielchungrigbydanielchungrigby Member, PRO Posts: 3

I changed the transparency of some objects, but I've never had any problem with it until I've added a crap-ton of actors to my game.

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

that may be it then.

on mine, even changing the values back didn’t work. had to delete them all and redo with original actors. only seemed to happen when i changed the values manually.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,054

Oh, forgot to leave a note here since we handled this through the support channel. It turned out the images in the project were the culprit. They where about 5000px max on a given size. Seems like our code on Windows to handle graphics is not as robust as the macOS OpenGL integration, so the project would just chug at the prospect of handling so much texture memory.

So if you run into that problem on windows, go into your project and reduce your image to 4096 as a max on a given size. If you really need a bigger image, I think that's fine, just make sure it's not ALL of your images at that size!