Whole art exhibition made in GS

LokitoesLokitoes Member, PRO Posts: 187

Hi guys, here's another older one from 2017 - as you can see I like using GS in perhaps unintended ways. Six different screen outputs of different sizes shown in a gallery.

Some ended up being video output only so I just screencaptured what I had done in GS and I think one was done in javascript instead, can't quite remember, but the main one was gamified where you use a series of buttons and a joystick to explore. I started by reviewing a lot of scientific literature on how different animals are having their sensorial perceptions changed by climate change, then used the game navigation to allow people to turn the temperature up and down and see visualisations of how that might change things for them. I focused on species for whom the literature is more apparent - echolocating bats, wild horses, alpine lizards, sea turtles, certain fish, and wood lice. Each has their senses of perceiving and moving through the world around them affected by climate change in a different way. For instance the horses feel the ground differently and walk differently as their proprioception is being changed in New Zealand. The alpine lizards are having their ability to smell chemicals change meaning their mating with the wrong mates rather than the healthiest mate option. The rolly bugs sense of heat affects their movement, and the echolocating bats will be able to see different ranges depending on where they live. And the turtles ability to sense the magnetic field to find their home is being upset so they can't go back to their special places to give birth. I just find it so fascinating and cool and scary.

Anyway this post is about the GS... underneath they're just basic games where things happen on key press and a butt-load of animations go on with a butt-load of timed things and sounds happening to make it all look randomised rather than really looking like a game. It's all 2D so it isn't meant to be immersive, instead its more an artistic interpretation of the statistics. I started out with GS making arcade games so experimenting with different ways to use buttons and joysticks is a bit of a go-to move for me that I'm trying to move away from these days. I pulled this whole thing together in 1.5 months while working full-time and living on the other side of the planet from where I come from with none of my arcade equipment available so I'm glad it all worked at least. hah! I'd really like to use this same theme again one day but make it for touchscreen and hopefully get to spend a bit more time on it.

:) cheers!