How to add the Play Games services SDK to your APK to use the APIs

Is there any guide on how to do this on Gamesalad?

Comments

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,058
    edited April 2022
  • NuGamerNuGamer Member Posts: 25

@adent42 Thank you! Also, if I may add, I've just finished making my game on a windows laptop and noticed that app store publishing requires a mac. Can I simply put my gs game file on a usb and put it onto a mac laptop for publishing?

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,058

@NuGamer depends.

Mac is only required for Apple app store publishing. Google publishing can be done from Windows.

You don't need to bring the project over via USB drive. When you set up your app for publishing, you can push it from windows, generate it on the web. Then you'd only need the mac for signing.

After you install Xcode and log in to your developer account with it you can sign in one of two ways:

1) Download GameSalad, visit your game's publish.gamesalad.com page, and hit the "Sign" button.

2) Download the game .app (your publish page's Download button) and use another app like iOS App Signer to sign your app.

Hope that helps!

Hi @adent42 I want to be able to publish from my windows laptop to the Apple App Store. When you say "push it from windows and generate it on the web" you have me a little confused. I made the game on the windows desktop GS app. Are you saying I need to put that onto the web online version of GS or are you saying when I click publish on my desktop version it will take me to the generation screen on a publishing page? Then I'll simply hit the 'sign' button on a mac?

Sorry for the wordy question

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331

There are two stages to publishing a GS game.

1. You upload the game to the GameSalad servers, where it gets generated and turned into a iOS app. This stage can be done from any computer, as it all takes place on the GameSalad servers, and the game can be uploaded from a Mac, PC or the Online tool.
    2. Signing the iOS app generated by GameSalad. This can only be done on a Mac. This is a restriction imposed by Apple. You need to use a Mac to sign an iOS app and as far as I know there's no way around it. If you don't own a Mac, there are ways to rent access to one online, or you can hire someone like me to do it for you.

@armelline Ah, ok so I just click publish on my desktop version GS and add it to my portfolio then do every step until the signing part?

@adent42 @armelline Thanks, and is there a guide on how to create a leaderboard on iOS? I found how to add achievements: https://help.gamesalad.com/gamesalad-cookbook/7-using-pro-features/7-02-adding-achievements-to-your-game/

and it mentions leaderboards in passing, but I can't seem to find that specific section.

I'm asking the support team to find the docs and post them here but the short version is to set up your leaderboards on the Apple side, then get the leaderboard ID and use that with the post to leaderboard behavior. Then enable Apple leaderboards on publishing.

• uptimistikuptimistik Key Master, Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 255

GameSalad Templates and Custom Development at the Official Marketplace: http://gshelper.com

@uptimistik @adent42 great guide, very useful thank you!