Is it possible to create your own leaderboard?

Tried using the in-built GS leaderboard action, however my loading screen kept freezing as a result of it trying to auto sign in. I then added the platform login feature to another scene which did the trick, but the signing in process seems to always cut off the screen on a Samsung phone (home button appears). Additionally, the show leaderboard function doesn't even show an actual leaderboard once the user is signed in, kinda just does nothing.

Is there a way to make your own leaderboard and skip the headache of gamecentre and play leaderboard all together?

Comments

• adriangomezadriangomez Member, PRO Posts: 438

Yes. My game chancleta has its own leaderboard. I used it because my game isn't very popular but it is in a bunch of stores so when people visit the leaderboard at least they have some competition from all the stores.

As you can see it is stored in mongodb. I have a complicated way to generate the table:

But if you just want to store a table you can. And I have a series of youtube videos that might help.

https://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/617433#Comment_617433

• NuGamerNuGamer Member Posts: 25

@adriangomez sorry for the late response, thanks I'll check it out!!

@adriangomez if your game were to become super popular would you still use this method of creating a leaderboard? Or is that not advised?

• adriangomezadriangomez Member, PRO Posts: 438

What other options do I have? If I could I would use PlayFab I would, but I have not figured out a way to do so from GameSalad. My other option until recently has been storing the information on a file somewhere. Hardly a solution for a very popular game. Recently I found out I can get Lootlocker to work with GameSalad. So I plan to try it out for my next GameSalad game. That being said MongoDB is a first-tier service provider, they could probably handle a Wordle at the height of its popularity (of course not on the free tier). So yes, if Chancleta gets mildly popular I don't plan to switch the provider. If it gets insanely popular, I would have a team to worry about these types of concerns.

@adriangomez that's a very comprehensive answer and covers a lot of options, so thank you. If I may ask, why not use the in-built google play/app store Leaderboard function on Gamesalad (sign in to specific platform and post highscore to google store leaderboard)?