What language was GameSalad written in?

ElectroDiverElectroDiver Member, PRO Posts: 7

I'm just curious because if I learn GameSalad which I have. Should I then move to the language it was written in? Would it be similar to GameSalad?

Answers

• adriangomezadriangomez Member, PRO Posts: 438

Why move on? What you interact with is Lua, but there is really no reason to move on.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,060

The GameSalad Engine is written in Lua, C, C++. The HTML5 engine is written in Javascript.

You can't really access the languages when building with GameSalad except to a limited extent in the expression system. GameSalad is designed to minimize interaction with coding and even the game "code" is more like a document than a program.

If you're looking to grow beyond GameSalad, think of GameSalad as less being about the language and more about the structural concepts.

A number of our users move on to more complex game engine by applying concepts they learned about structuring games in GameSalad. The rest is just syntax (which even after over 20 years as a developer, I just google a lot of the time since I switch languages so much).

That being said, Lua is used a number of game engines as a scripting language, so it is definitely a good starting point if you want to learn something new.