macOS Creator 1.25.105 Beta

adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,065

It's marked beta because it's incomplete for what we want for the 105 release, but it's stable and has the new video playback via Tweet Sheet and the new keyboard capture support in the keyboard behavior.

https://releases.gamesalad.com/creator/GameSalad-Creator-1.25.105-beta.dmg

As always, be sure to back up files before working with them in beta software, but we think this should be pretty safe.

We want to make some fixes to iOS app signing and add the "gs:play*" Audio handlers before we finalize 105 as a non-beta release, but I thought it would be worth getting into people's hands for now.

Comments

• The GlessnerdThe Glessnerd Member Posts: 63

How does video playback work exactly?

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,065
    edited February 2023

In the tweet sheet behavior:

"gs:playVideoURL" in the Message

url to the video (mp4) in the Image

Since we're using the native video view, I guess anything the platform supports will work, but mp4 is a pretty safe bet cross platform.

Video will play back with no UI and uninterrupted (we'll build in things like full control or just skip and mute later. Figured a default case of unskippable videos works for thinks like cut scenes and training videos for now.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,065

I had forgotten where the play audio code was, so it should actually be in there too.

In Message put one of:

gs:playSound - plays sound, stops if behavior is out of scope

gs:playSoundLoop - plays sound on loop, stops if behavior is out of scope

gs:playSoundComplete - plays sound til end, even if behavior goes out of scope

gs:playMusic - starts playing music until track end

gs:playMusicLoop - starts playing music and loops on track end.

In Image put the name of the sound to play with either a literal string or an expression

• zarzirzarzir Member, PRO Posts: 128

Hi @adent42 Great news thanks! But is windows creator also coming soon?

• The GlessnerdThe Glessnerd Member Posts: 63

Is the video feature available in the online creator?

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334
    edited February 2023

Hating to be a debbie downer, but this version is considerably slower for me. Not just a little slower but massively slower. (Eh, I rebooted and tried a less bloated project and it's not as bad as I implied. A little slower. Mostly with editing attributes.) Also it's impossible to see the names of attributes in rules. Years ago, mousing over an attribute would show it. In the last couple of years, mousing over an attribute makes it do a little dance and amongst the jittering you could still see the attribute name. This version just does nothing when mousing over, making it a guessing game if you have attributes like game.Credit 1 and game.Credit 2 or something. This is a pretty critical issue for me.

Looking forward to having a good excuse to use the new stuff but for now I'll have to stick to 104 for day-to-day working.

I can't edit my last comment, so I'll have to grudgingly apologise :D I went back to 104 and it too was slow. I made a new account on my computer and tried 104 there, and it's speedy speedy. I have no idea what made my GS go so slow, and why it started at the same time as I tried 105, but it can't be purely a 105 issue. So sorry @adent42, I appear to have blamed 105 for something that is related to my system, though I have no idea what! Will update if I can establish the cause.

@zarzir it will be at least the end of the month, since we're still working on the current feature set on the Mac creator before moving to windows.

@The Glessnerd not yet, but it's possible to add yourself on the HTML5 engine using the tweetsheet. Similar to the Windows answer.

Overall here's what we're going for and priority / order:

• Features complete and working on RC binaries
    • Feature preview on macOS creator
    • Feature preview on Creator 2 (HTML5)
    • Feature preview on Windows creator

So there may be a few explanations @Armelline . The only code difference in 105 vs 104 is the video stuff (the sound behavior works in engine so doesn't affect the main system so much). Soooo it could be anything from:

• We compiled with current Xcode, updated SDK, so somethings may just be different under the hood
    • We still have leaky code in places that depends on Garbage Collection, which is no longer a thing.
    • Did you upgrade OSes?

My guess is it's a combination of all of the above and some temp files from GameSalad attached to your user directories slowing things down. I don't think we'll do a lot of work to fix it for now, since we want to spend a much time as possible moving to Creator 2, but we'll at least take a look and see if we can clean things up in the user temp directories after closing / opening the app.

The change was literally "it's fine" one minute and "it's not" the next, but using a different user clears things (though I didn't test 105 with another user account yet) so it really is likely to be a problem on my end. On the other user account GS is absolutely fine. I did try deleting all GameSalad cache files before trying a second account, but it's possible I (or rather AppCleaner) missed some.

When a more compact UI is available for Creator 2 I'll finally make a real effort to switch to it. I've been using Mac GS since the 2009 though so it's hard for me to let go :D

Hi, has anyone experimented with the video playback yet? would love to see an example.

@adent42 I wonder what URL is needed to deliver the video, will a YouTube URL will work?

@zarzir a youtube url won't work (they use a proprietary system and we'd need to use a youtube specific player). You just need a URL to a standard MP4 video.

I'll throw a url to our test project shortly.

Ok thanks, would be greet to see this in action and also if anyone can share where to host the video that will be great.

Fixed an issue with the keyboard capture preview. Note that on macOS it won't pull up a keyboard, it will just assume you're about to type stuff.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/crwvc61wzcna3kt/GameSalad-1.25.105-beta2.zip?dl=0

And here's a sample project:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfy0ch20l1tqoom/KeyboardVideoSoundTest.gameproj.zip?dl=0

@zarzir For testing, I've been hosting video files on amazon s3, but pretty much anywhere you can drop a file and pull it up directly in a browser works.

@adent42 please give us an update

Not sure why I'm getting ignore for 3 weeks but I'm not giving up!

@adent42 any update please?

Sorry about that @zarzir , but we haven't started looking at it yet. A combination of SXSW (partner and investor networking) and fixing some other bugs that came up.

So you are saying not to look forward for this 😕

• marionwoodmarionwood Member, PRO Posts: 34

This sounds amazingly cool - in my case mostly for the PlaySound part...

BUT, is there any way to pass a Pitch attribute? For a synth or music-based app, there isn't a sample for every (e.g.) piano note, instead for every third or fourth note, with pitch-adjust to fill in the gaps. (Otherwise the app would be enormous.)

Any way to play sound with an expression is super exciting! GRRRReat work GS team :-)

• mullerJmullerJ Member Posts: 12
    edited July 2023

This version is marked as beta because it is incomplete for what the developers intend for the 1.25.105 non-beta release. However, it is considered stable and comes with new features, such as video playback via Tweet Sheet and keyboard capture support in the keyboard behavior.

Users are advised to back up their files before working with this beta software, but the developers believe it should be relatively safe to use. They plan to make some fixes to iOS app signing and add the "gs:play*" Audio handlers before finalizing version 1.25.105 as a non-beta release.