Game developer required

urbntravelurbntravel Member Posts: 2
Hi,

I'm looking for someone to work on a quick project (there is a budget) with me. I'm looking to build a simple driving game - something like this - the game is about a delivery with the goal of the game being to get from point A to B. Approximate time limit of the game should be around 3-4 min. It should be a simple game, not taking too long to finish.

It should be done in 2D. The feeling is old arcade game style. It's going to be part of a promotional campaign, so it doesn't need to be Gran Turismo - just simple, easy and quick.

How to win the game: Either by highest score, or fastest time, or a combination of both.

There should be obstacles in the game, ways to gain points, turbo speed etc.

If possible, I'd like to do two versions of the game - one for online use and one for iPad. However, if time is an issue, then I'd rather just do an iPad version.

We have all of the graphical assets that you'd need, and we can create any other outstanding assets quite quickly if required. The one proviso is that we're looking to turn this around quite quickly - I'd like to be able to submit this to the app store in mid-October. Once we agree terms, we can pay 40% of your fee up front, with the remaining payments being made as progress is made with the game.

If you've already created a similar game - I have no issue with you reusing the existing platform with the new graphical assets - like I said - this is part of a promotional campaign - so the emphasis is getting a good, well designed game into the marketplace as quickly as possible.

Feel free to get in touch with any questions or thoughts. Even if you could give me a rough guesstimate as to how much this would cost and how long it would take, I can bring that to the client and hopefully get the ball rolling this week.

Comments

• BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    I'd be happy to look at this for you. Email me: barkbarkco at gmail dot com
  • ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    If you are looking for more of the same 3d scenery passing you by like the video then I'd say too complex for GameSalad but more of an old school rad racer could be possible with much work
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    Ha! I actually own that full-size arcade game! It's called Radikal Bikers. You deliver pizzas on your little scooter through the streets of Rome. Great game!

I don't have time to work on this, just thought I'd mention the game.

Anything is possible of course, but creating a racing game like that will be extremely difficult in GameSalad. It requires you to pull off some pretty heavy math, even for a game like OutRun, Rad Racer, Mario Kart, Pole Position, Night Driver, etc...

Those games require you to be able to manipulate bitmap data, something you don't have access to in GameSalad.

The best you can do is approximate it with the scaling of an Actor, but that is really processor intensive, and would be tough to do with more than just a few actors on screen at a time.
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    Ya, I agree with FMG, it's possible in GameSalad but will look ugly and not play to GameSalad's strengths.
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    just to point out in the original post :
    "It should be done in 2D."

I took that to mean in an overhead style?
    Can you confirm for everyone's benefit @urbntravel

feel free to email us with a full brief

markc(at)flamingmitten(dot)co(dot)uk
  • stanimationstanimation Member Posts: 406
    @ FMG. Man we find our more and more about you all of the time! Its a cool game. What programs did you use to make it? Is it profitable?

@Urbntravel. Gonna be tough in GS. Would love to see it done though. Please keep us up to date on your progress! Good luck!
  • synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 1,693
    @stanimation...
    I don't think FMG meant he developed the game...I think he meant he owns a box tower of the game (the old school arcade type...like pinballs). He said once he owns about 50 old arcade games and pinball machines.
    @stan: I didn't make that game... I wish! It was put out by Atari in the late '90s. I own one though. I have a bunch of old arcade games and pinball machines.
  • BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    I'm guessing they want 2.5D; 2D with 3D pre-rendered graphics.
  • stanimationstanimation Member Posts: 406
    @ FMG: My bad. You still rock!
    Thanks Stan! You too!
  • vegasmike1vegasmike1 Member Posts: 192
    Shoot me an email and tell me exactly what you want but I think by now you know that 3D is a bitch to resolve in a 2D world. There are some tricks with actors that could be done, I have an idea that might work. Shoot me an email
    imone@coam.net
    Mike
  • urbntravelurbntravel Member Posts: 2
    Hi all - sorry for the delay in getting back to you - am in house moving hell at the moment.

To clarify - the game should be in 2D - although some sort of 2.5D trickery would be good. However, our client has a pretty tight timeframe on this, so I'm thinking that the simplest way to go would be to use the pre-existing top down view that's been used in a bunch of games to date.

The idea is similar to Radical Bikers or Paperboy or any delivery type game - you have to navigate through the streets of a city, dodging obstacles and potentially picking up powerups along the way.

It should be pretty simple to use and understand. It's for a promotional campaign - so the game itself only needs to be about five minutes long. We'll probably need to incorporate some sort of basic info/contact page into the app as well.

I hope that helps. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to get in touch. Those of you who left contact email addresses can expect more detailed replies shortly.