Game Idea

DjipDjip Member Posts: 45
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
Some one ther have a good game idea i could make. I have a little experience in gamesalad. So give me some ideas. :)

Comments

• olster1olster1 Member Posts: 396
    Start simple. Play some of the other games on there and let you creativity take over... and all that good stuff.
  • DjipDjip Member Posts: 45
    olster1 said:
    Start simple. Play some of the other games on there and let you creativity take over... and all that good stuff.

Maybe and idea.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    That is an idea. If someone one here had a game idea don't you think they would save it to make for themselves?

How about hey olster1 thanks thats some great advice to give me some inspiration on a new game.
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Ok...lets see...random game idea... Something hopefully unique...but quite easy...and also fun...

(I actually quite like the idea below...but damn it I have about 5 unfinished projects as it is)...

Game Name:
    'COUNT TAP MEMORY MADNESS!'

A game where you have to tap the screen as many times as a voice shouts out.

It says '5..1..8..3' you have to tape the screen five times, pause, then 1 time, pause...8...pause... 3...pause...

On each pause the screen will give you an indication that you last number of taps was correct.

It gets harder and harder as the number sequence gets longer...

Visually make it look awesome maybe a cartoon animal pops up to shout out the numbers (penguins are always cool) and your onto a winner....You could add an indicator so they know they need to tap out a number sequence of a certain length...
    I have a problem. I am a not good to make graphics. :I
  • iTouchGameriTouchGamer Member Posts: 681
    stormystudio said:
    Ok...lets see...random game idea... Something hopefully unique...but quite easy...and also fun...

(I actually quite like the idea below...but damn it I have about 5 unfinished projects as it is)...

Game Name:
    'COUNT TAP MEMORY MADNESS!'

A game where you have to tap the screen as many times as a voice shouts out.

It says '5..1..8..3' you have to tape the screen five times, pause, then 1 time, pause...8...pause... 3...pause...

On each pause the screen will give you an indication that you last number of taps was correct.

It gets harder and harder as the number sequence gets longer...

Visually make it look awesome maybe a cartoon animal pops up to shout out the numbers (penguins are always cool) and your onto a winner....You could add an indicator so they know they need to tap out a number sequence of a certain length...

Do you mind if I use this for my next game?? lol, great imagination!
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    djip123 said:
    I have a problem. I am a not good to make graphics. :I

I guess your gonna expect someone to offer up those ideas and even art too?

Sorry i'm getting harsh.

Heres your answer make a game and find a way to put art in it. if you cant make art find free art. if you cant find good free art then hire someone to make the art. Whether your new at this or been doing it ten years the process is the same. Once you get the process down you'll be fine. just don't expect others to take care of your process for you. we're glad to help but if you never take the Raines the help will stop coming. you cant expect a game idea to be given, and then the art to be given and then next you will be asking for someone to make a demo of the entire game.

___________________________________________________________________________________
    GS BubbleBall Template HERE!!
    Stacks Level Selection Template HERE!!
    AppSolute Entertainment on Facebook
    I'm with iTouchGamer on that one. That sounds quite good!
    tenrdrmer said:
    I guess your gonna expect someone to offer up those ideas and even art too?

Sorry i'm getting harsh.

Heres your answer make a game and find a way to put art in it. if you cant make art find free art. if you cant find good free art then hire someone to make the art. Whether your new at this or been doing it ten years the process is the same. Once you get the process down you'll be fine. just don't expect others to take care of your process for you. we're glad to help but if you never take the Raines the help will stop coming. you cant expect a game idea to be given, and then the art to be given and then next you will be asking for someone to make a demo of the entire game.

I will find some art or trying at my self.
    Also djip123, you said you had little experience with game salad. Try and create the game that stormystudio suggested first, just to undertand the tools your working with a bit more. Nail down the concept first then worry about art. :D
    olster1 said:
    Also djip123, you said you had little experience with game salad. Try and create the game that stormystudio suggested first, just to undertand the tools your working with a bit more. Nail down the concept first then worry about art. :D

that i will do.
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Glad people likes the idea.

I find ideas are generally the easy bit, everyone you meet will have a few ideas for a 'great' game.

It's actually having the patience to start and finish a game that's the biggest challenge. Once you can do that it's teaching yourself to do it again but much better and with more polish.

Good luck with the project.
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    Sometimes I like to start with a control system. Get a square actor to be controlled in a certain way that feels right, then think about a story or a character that would fit with that control system. Pretty soon it will come together. There are lots of free demos of ways to control an actor in the New section of the Gs creator start window.
  • EatingMyHatEatingMyHat Member Posts: 1,246
    Write a game about a cute penguin that wants to fly but he can't so he uses the snowy hills to gain momentum and than fly from one iceberg to another using his small wings? you can call the game 'small wings', and make sure to have cool sounds and music. Another option is to make the penguins piss of at some seals that stole his eggs and just fire the penguins away to crash the seals ice castles, call this one 'furious penguins'. Both sounds like a hit to me and since most games with birds seems to make lots of money, penguins are the next big thing.

And on a serious note... you might try starting with something that is not even a game or have very basic physics/movement. My first app was a soundboard, but it helped me understand the tool without going into anything overly complex. My second was a game which was crap because I was still doing spawn and destroy, I bought a quality template and learned some tricks - now my next game is going to actually worth something.

Don't start with the template, the good one will be hard to understand if you didn't got your hands wet.
  • ChristianpowerChristianpower Member Posts: 12
    EatingMyHat said:
    Write a game about a cute penguin that wants to fly but he can't so he uses the snowy hills to gain momentum and than fly from one iceberg to another using his small wings? you can call the game 'small wings', and make sure to have cool sounds and music. Another option is to make the penguins piss of at some seals that stole his eggs and just fire the penguins away to crash the seals ice castles, call this one 'furious penguins'. Both sounds like a hit to me and since most games with birds seems to make lots of money, penguins are the next big thing.

And on a serious note... you might try starting with something that is not even a game or have very basic physics/movement. My first app was a soundboard, but it helped me understand the tool without going into anything overly complex. My second was a game which was crap because I was still doing spawn and destroy, I bought a quality template and learned some tricks - now my next game is going to actually worth something.

Don't start with the template, the good one will be hard to understand if you didn't got your hands wet.

ahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha idk if you just made that as a joke or someone actually took your idea and made one of the best IPhone games ever "tiny wings"
  • ChristianpowerChristianpower Member Posts: 12
    oh and I found this thread searching for a way to make a kind of control system like puzzle dozer has, buttons that control the actor, so if anyone has an answer on how to that would be great.
  • 3d103d10 Member Posts: 471
    A top down racer with some logic will be simple enough for the first timer.
  • 11clock11clock Member Posts: 450
    Here is a good tip. If you are not good at art, make your games 8-bit!

It's simple to make 8-bit graphics. Make the sprite at a very small size, then increase the size 4-8 times in poor quality. Like if you wanted to make a 32x32 sprite, make it in 4x4 or 8x8 and stretch it out to 32x32! I do it all the time and it works very well!

As for game ideas, just come up with anything in your head. If you want to make games that will give you a lot of money, DO NOT MAKE RIP OFFS. I REPEAT, DO NOT MAKE RIP OFFS! I consider it a crime to take a game idea and make your own version of it without adding anything. Many games are inspired by others, yes, but if you make a direct clone without adding any sort of twist I will hunt you down. I get angry just thinking about all of those Rushhour games. There's so many of them I don't know what the original is!
  • JeffreyShimaneJeffreyShimane Member Posts: 372
    I think cloning games is a great way to learn how to use GS because you don't have to get bogged down coming up with an idea, gameplay, etc. You can focus strictly on figuring out how to get GS to do what you want. Obviously, releasing a clone/rip-off into the App Store is not a good idea though.
  • kapserkapser Member Posts: 458
    Jeffrey is right. You might even make millions making a clone. *stares at angry birds and tiny wings*

You can also pick one or two type of game and try to tweak it or merge them. For example, take Canabalt and VVVVVV and you get Gravity Guy.

I'd love to give new examples but I'll keep them for myself XD
  • gamedivisiongamedivision Member Posts: 807
    Try graphics yourself, also look at images you like and try to replicate them,this process will teach you how to use the program and how to creat good art,I'm not an artist and only decided to make a game 2 and half months ago,I didn't even know about game salad but if you immerse yourself in something you learn quick,just don't rush you have all the time in the world
  • 11clock11clock Member Posts: 450
    Cloning is a good way to learn, yes, but I'm mainly talking about releasing clones into the App Store. That is being unoriginal and means that you have no taste. (Sorry if I'm insulting some of you, but it is my opinion.)

I don't mind fan games, but Apple wouldn't allow those.

Merging 2 games I'm fine with. I normally like merged games, as long as it's different themed.