RPG isometric view games

elmkomelmkom Member Posts: 4
edited November -1 in Introductions
Hi Is it posible to create RPG games like the old final fantasy games where one actor walks infront or behind another depending on their Y position. That is the fake 3d isometric view.

Comments

• DrGlickertDrGlickert Member Posts: 1,135
    You could use a constrain attribute. The actor that moves is moved by the player and the 2nd actor (the other character) you could put at like -15 (or whatever, depending on the size of your actors) on the Y-axis.

I think that would work.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    elmkom said:
    Hi Is it posible to create RPG games like the old final fantasy games where one actor walks infront or behind another depending on their Y position.

Basically, constrain the main actor's Y location to an attribute. Then, you have a choice to make...

Create two copies of each actor, one above and one below.
    ...or...
    Create a background and put a copy of the images on top.

When the character's Y position is below the layered image, the image goes invisible.
  • elmkomelmkom Member Posts: 4
    So if I understand what you are saying there is no way to set the Z order I need to have a background and foreground actors that are the same and then hide the foreground image if my main caracter is infront (low on screen) and show it if behind (high on screen). Sounds very tedious if I have a lot of objects in my scene. Every time I move I would have to go through all objects and set their visibility based on my Y position.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    You don't have to change numbers. The alpha is adjusted relative to the main actor's position.

The hero has this...
    Constrain attribute Hero-Y to self.position.Y

The props have this...
    If Hero-Y is > self.position.Y
    Then alpha color = 1
    Otherwise alpha color = 0

If you don't know about rules and attributes, The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook might be helpful to you.
  • elmkomelmkom Member Posts: 4
    Yes I understand rules and how to do what you are suggesting but it means I have to have two of every prop and add the rule to ever prop, seems a little inefficient but I guess it would work.