What program should i use for art?

SteakSauceSteakSauce Member Posts: 29
I have little knowledge with photoshop and was wondering if there are other programs to use. I'm not sure what kind of style my art will be, maybe vector, maybe 8 bit, maybe some style i don't know the name of. Maybe the art style used in plants vs zombies.

Cheers

Best Answers

• petercoupepetercoupe Posts: 94
    Accepted Answer
    Have a look at GIMP (free) and also SketchBookPro (not free but quite inexpensive)
    These are what I use for all my graphic work now.
  • SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Posts: 524
    Accepted Answer
    I would suggest a look at inkscape - free vector tool - and to make it the learning curve a little less steep a glance at my blog might help as well...

http://2dgameartforprogrammers.blogspot.com/
  • EddietheFistMonkeyEddietheFistMonkey Posts: 12
    Accepted Answer
    SketchBookExpress is a good application available for free with a premium option. Might be a good program to play around with while you decide on a style, vector, digital painting or hand drawn etc, you might even decide to stick with it. I find it very useful for sketching ideas although I would always start with pen and paper first. Good luck :)
  • lycettebroslycettebros Posts: 1,598
    Accepted Answer
    Recommend using vector programs (I use flash) so you can easily scale graphics for various screen sizes/formats.
  • SethsAppsSethsApps Posts: 328
    Accepted Answer
    I use pixelmator for a lot of graphics but the vector side of it isn't that great...

Answers

• SteakSauceSteakSauce Member Posts: 29
    hm ill have a look thanks!
    edited June 2012
    @SpriteAttack wow thanks! your art looks amazing!

@EddietheFistMonkey hm, ill also try it out, sounds good, thanks a lot! :D
    Oh, but its for mac, sorry i have windows ): do you suggest any other like that one?
    Recommend using vector programs (I use flash) so you can easily scale graphics for various screen sizes/formats.
    hm my friend also recommended flash, ill also try it out, thanks!
    I use pixelmator for a lot of graphics but the vector side of it isn't that great...
    ill have a look at it, thanks :D
    oh wait, sorry, i forgot to say i use windows /: looks really good though, thanks anyway!
  • AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    I would suggest a look at inkscape - free vector tool - and to make it the learning curve a little less steep a glance at my blog might help as well...

This.

• APPlauseAPPlause Member Posts: 29
    Paintshop Pro is what I use. It very affordable.
  • carlblanchetcarlblanchet Member Posts: 755
    Great question! I was actually researching this at the moment. :D
  • chaleychaley Member, PRO Posts: 226
    For vector art... I recommend Adobe Illustrator... For pixel art... I recommend Adobe Photoshop... For 3D art... I recommend Autodesk Maya.

I've worked professionally as an artist for the past 17 years. One thing I've learned is that... While tools don't make the artist... BETTER tools make the artist's life easier. A LOT easier.
    Paintshop Pro is what I use. It very affordable.
    oh ill check it out , ive been working with inkscape recently, doing alright!
    For vector art... I recommend Adobe Illustrator... For pixel art... I recommend Adobe Photoshop... For 3D art... I recommend Autodesk Maya.

I've worked professionally as an artist for the past 17 years. One thing I've learned is that... While tools don't make the artist... BETTER tools make the artist's life easier. A LOT easier.
    im sure adobe photoshop will be a lot better than my microsoft paint! haha thanks for the tips :D
    Great question! I was actually researching this at the moment. :D
    haha, try inkscape, its been going pretty good for me so far :)
  • BrynjeBamsenBrynjeBamsen Member Posts: 188
    edited July 2012

Using @spriteattack blog and inkskape made me from zero to hero regarding graphics.
    Many of the technics can be applied to many other things.

a few examples

and i have never done art before
    @BrynjeBamsen wow! thats darn good! and you learnt all this from his blog? i've been on his blog a lot, and i've done a couple of tutorials, but nothing i make ever ends up how i want it to
    edited July 2012
    @SteakSauce i actually tried a couple of times first and failed HARD - Then i contacted spriteattack because i wanted some payed help with a project - Needed a meteor for a game iam making. understable he had million things on his plate (no hard feelings :) )

So i tried again with a little more dedication.... and presto
    First draft - Done several changes to afterwords - but i think its a good start :)

@BrynjeBamsen god damn! thats good as! well i guess ill keep playing around with inkscape haha :)
  • Benjamin_m5Benjamin_m5 Member Posts: 646
    INKSCAPE and Photoshop!!! A combination of these two programs is awesome!! Make the art with inkscape and resize to right dpi with photoshop!! Works nice!
    If you don't have photoshop you can use the free application Paint.NET but it's not as good as photoshop is to resize images :D

Cheers
    ---
    Benjamin