FYI - Kindle Hibernate and Android Camera Bug Work Arounds

ellfireellfire Member Posts: 187
edited July 2012 in Working with GS (Mac)
Hey, Gang. Well, after having my game, Metrop-A-Stomp, rejected from the Kindle Fire for not properly using the hibernate option, I decided to take a day and dig in. Here are some of my findings that will hopefully be helpful to others.

Hibernate Works on Kindle...well kinda.
You can create a rule that will use Hibernate on Kindle as you would with a Nook app. I had it setup to simply Pause the game when the Hibernate button is pressed. This didn't fully work in my case because 1) My music tracks kept playing even when paired with a pause music behavior on hibernate button and 2) It reveals that Android camera bug something fierce.

How I worked around it.
1) I created an actor that had two behaviors when Hibernate button is pushed: Pause Game and Stop Music. If you don't have background music in that particular scene, then you can skip that last part. If you use a pause music behavior, you're okay unless the user has a lock screen setup on their Kindle. With a normal pause music behavior, the music will end up playing under the lock screen. Assuming this may get you rejected if spotted by an eagle eyed reviewer, I went with the super cautious approach below.
2) Next, I created a special Hibernate Pause scene so that the player would know that it isn't the standard pause screen. In my case, my pause screens used translucent backgrounds which showed up the camera bug as well. Basically, my Hibernate Pause screens are a black screen with the game logo and a continue button. The continue button unpauses the game and starts playing a specified music track when pressed. If your BG music really is just BG music as in my game, having it start over here isn't so bad.
3) If you are using your Hibernate Pause as I described above, you will need to create a copy for each level/scene that needs a specific music track playing. Ex. I have a mini intro and a level that have one continuous track that plays over them. Each of these levels can use the same Hibernate Pause menu because its the same music launched when the user hits continue. I had to create other pause menus for the main game, opening menus, etc. because they all use different music tracks.

This got me around the hibernate issue, but is, as you can imagine, a major pain in the butt and doesn't work in all circumstances. Ex. In my main game's story intro, the whole soundtrack is a "music" file that syncs to picture. If a user hibernates here, they are going to end up listening to a music track when they come back, not the real soundtrack. I'm okay with this because it is likely a very rare occurrence.

Okay, now on to the Android camera bug.

How I worked around it.
I first need to caveat that my game doesn't have any moving cameras except for my opening menus which swish in a t-bar kind of motion. So, like everyone else has been seeing, whenever you pause Android (I'm testing on a Kindle), the camera origin gets set up in random places for any scene that is bigger than the actual camera size and with a camera origin other than 0,0. This is 99% of my levels and many other folk's as well. Here's a way I got around it that was pretty simple: constrain your camera origin.

For Non-moving cameras
1) Setup up two real scene variables in your scene called Lock_X and Lock_Y or something similar. Set these to whatever values you are using for your camera's X and Y origin.
2) Create a hidden actor with two constrain behaviors. Set the first to constrain CurrentScene-Camera-Origin-X to Lock_X and the second to CurrentScene-Camera-Origin-Y to Lock_Y. Plop that into any given scene. No rules required, just use the constraints.
3) Now whenever you pop back into your scene, it will snap back to wherever you set it no matter where the bug throws it. You may see it wrong for a split second, but nothing that will really hamper game play.
4) I should note that if you are using pause menus that are translucent, you will see the android bug through the background, but it will still be fixed when you unpause your scene. A opaque pause screen BG will fix that issue.
5) You can also skip step one and just manually set values in the constrain behaviors and adjust the prototype for each scene you put it into.

For basic moving scenes.
My menus are setup with four screens arranged in a "T" shape in a scene that is 3 screens wide by 2 tall. The lower left and right thirds are blank, but never seen. When a user picks a menu option, the camera pans to that location (interpolates for 1 second) and stops. I hope you can picture that or this explanation may not make sense.

1) Setup up two real scene variables in your scene called Lock_X and Lock_Y or something similar. Set these to whatever values you are using for your camera's starting X and Y origin.
2) Create a boolean scene attribute called Cam_Move_OK or whatever you want. Set this to false.
2) Create a hidden actor with two constrain behaviors in a rule. The rule should be: When Cam_Move_OK = False, Constrain CurrentScene-Camera-Origin-X to Lock_X and constrain CurrentScene-Camera-Origin-Y to Lock_Y.
3) Now your scene is locked down like in the first example.
4) When you need to trigger a move, (in my case, user pushes button and camera pans on menu), make whatever is triggering the move do three additional things:
a. On BLANK, set Cam_Move_OK to True
b. Set Lock_X and Lock_Y to target camera origin coordinates
c. Set timer for after X time, set Cam_Move_OK to false.

What this step does is unconstrains your camera for a set amount of time and lets it move. Once it is done moving, it locks it down in that position so that the bug will be fixed when coming back from pause.

Now, I know this workaround for moving scenes will not work for everybody, especially if your camera is very dynamic, but if you are doing something simple (Pan to the left over the course of a second. etc.) it should work for you.

I apologize if this post is more confusing than helpful. I guess the main take aways are hibernate works on Kindle sorta, and constraining your camera can easily fix the Android pause camera bug.

Answers

• deadlightsdeadlights Member, PRO Posts: 235
    Thank you for posting this. Once I wrap my head around it all, I am going to try it :)
  • deadlightsdeadlights Member, PRO Posts: 235
    OK I tried the non-moving camera fix for the rotation issue, but it's not working for me on the Nook :(
    I set up the actors as described.. maybe it works on the Kindle but not the Nook I'm using. Maybe others will have better luck :)
  • ellfireellfire Member Posts: 187
    @deadlights It is completely possible that this doesn't work on Nook. I only have a Kindle Fire to test on. Ironically, the same build that was rejected by Amazon for Kindle was accepted for Nook who, judging by there sign up process, seem really picky.
  • JustMe74JustMe74 Member, PRO Posts: 542
    Thanks, this is some good information.
    I had tried the same thing with the camera and it didn't work -- however, maybe I did something a little different, so I'll try again.
    Quick update, my Kindle Fire app that used the above methods made it through Kindle Fire approval in 4 days. ;)
  • PixelPunPixelPun Member Posts: 324
    @ellfire my app just failed because the screen distorted when returning from hibernation on the kindle fire... Is that what your work around fixes? My game only has 1 scene so it seems like it would be easy to implement....?
  • JustMe74JustMe74 Member, PRO Posts: 542
    @PixelPun - I can confirm that this fix (constraining the camera as described here) does indeed work on the Kindle Fire and Nook.
    @PixelPun Yep, this should work just fine for you. I also had my app approved on Nook and it also uses this same method.
  • greenrhynogreenrhyno Member, PRO Posts: 152
    @ellfire
    -I saw in another thread you were thinking of using .9.92 because there were issues with this rule in .9.94

Which version did you end up using to build your accepted game?
    @greenrhyno I was able to stay at .9.94 by using this fix. If it hadn't work, hacking my way back to 0.9.92 was the fallback plan. ;)
  • PixelPunPixelPun Member Posts: 324
    @ellfire do you know if this was fixed in .10? I'm just curious I haven't gotten around to trying to fix my game for the Kindle fire... and I was curious if I still need to do it. Amazon rejected my app for the screen distorting after hibernation.... I was just curious If I still would need to use this work around. Thanks!