Attention - It is possible now to make iPhone 5 games

AcceleratedGamesAcceleratedGames Member Posts: 201
edited September 2012 in Working with GS (Mac)
Hello GameSalad Community,
I have terrific news.
After testing, and testing, and testing with the GS viewer and the iOS Simulator, I have made a discovery. There is a way to make our games work with the iPhone 5's new screen size.
Here's how in 5 (what a coincidence) steps:

1. Find your GameSalad project in the finder.
2. Right click and select "Show Packaged Contents".
3. Find the file "object.xml" and open it.
4. Find and change {id="displaySize">320420} to {id="displaySize">568320} or if your game is portrait change it to {id="displaySize">320568}
5. Change all screen and camera sizes to 568x320 or 320x568.

This makes our games work with both the iPhone 5 and other iPhones without ANY real work on GameSalad's side.

But, there is a catch.
Actually 2.

1) I don't know if this works for windows.
2) GameSalad will have to let use upload a 4in and 3.5in load screens in order for this to work.

The great thing is, catch #2 can be quickly fixed now that we have web publishing.

Also, for best practices, here is something @TheMoonWalls suggested we do:

Rule if attribute (Devices/Screen/Size/Width or Height (depends on your game orientation)) is 480 (old iPhone):
Here put rules to change scene size, actor's positions, graphics, etc.

And second rule:
Rule if attribute (Devices/Screen/Size/Width or Height (depends on your game orientation)) is 568 (iPhone 5):
Here put rules to change scene size, actor's positions, graphics, etc.

Comments

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Just an FYI manually going in and editing your xml files, While it may work in some cases, can be taken as a TOS violation by GameSalad. It means when you send them a project that has jacked up XML. They are probably not going to provide you any support. It also means if they feel it violates it bad enough they COULD terminate your account.

Again just an FYI. its certainly not an official message from GameSalad regarding this. just wanted to make sure you understand what you could be getting into.

Cheers
  • AcceleratedGamesAcceleratedGames Member Posts: 201
    edited September 2012
    Just an FYI manually going in and editing your xml files, While it may work in some cases, can be taken as a TOS violation by GameSalad. It means when you send them a project that has jacked up XML. They are probably not going to provide you any support. It also means if they feel it violates it bad enough they COULD terminate your account.

Again just an FYI. its certainly not an official message from GameSalad regarding this. just wanted to make sure you understand what you could be getting into.

Cheers
    @tenrdrmer
    If that's the case, then @UtopianGames would have left a long time ago because that's all DBA does, edit GameSalad. Also, there have been many cases where people suggest editting the xml files in their game.

Why do you decide to speek now?
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Then knock yourself out…… Im sure GameSalad is thrilled at the money you have saved them. I think because of this find they will never even add support for iPhone 5 ^:)^

And I'm pretty sure DBA has a special arraignment with GameSalad regarding there tools.
  • AGsBuddyAGsBuddy Member Posts: 4
    Then knock yourself out…… Im sure GameSalad is thrilled at the money you have saved them. I think because of this find they will never even add support for iPhone 5 ^:)^

And I'm pretty sure DBA has a special arraignment with GameSalad regarding there tools.
    Dude, not cool.
    Why are you mocking him? He's just tring to help everyone.
  • lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
    Hmmm the initial reply from @AcceleratedGames was not exactly polite and that probably instigated the response he got.

@AcceleratedGames is certainly trying to help and his idea will I am sure be looked at and that is good - well done to @AcceleratedGames for that. He may well have enabled a workaround until a revised version of GS is released...and as @tenrdrmer suggests GS needs to approve these workarounds before we can use them.

...there now everyone can cool off :)
    edited September 2012
    Now that we've cooled off...

I also found that we could use this method to make universal apps.

P.S.
    @AGsBuddy and I are not the same person.
  • Fabri DamazioFabri Damazio Member Posts: 97
    Well done @AcceleratedGames !!!!

I'm very interested in make universal apps. How we can do it?

Thanks for the help!!!
  • ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207
    that's one way to look at it, but i'm much rather hope that GS would provide a separate "window/tab" that displays what the game will look like in different screen orientation/device, it's already a lot of trouble to go from vertical to horizontal, i think adding even more code based transition with-out the ability to see the changes on screen in real-time isn't what GS is about, might as well script the whole thing in XML or Corona, but there's a reason I like GS is that they did all the heavy lifting so i can focus on the content/experience. @saladstraightshooter if GS wants i can do a quick mock-up.
    edited September 2012
    Well done @AcceleratedGames !!!!

I'm very interested in make universal apps. How we can do it?

Thanks for the help!!!
    Just do the same steps I mentioned originally, but instead of the iPhone 5 resolution, use the iPad resolution.

But, GameSalad would have to let us publish the game with the correct size loading screen sizes.
  • ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207
    edited September 2012
    so you are saying we can do that but we won't be able to publish.. what is the point then? not trying to be dis-respectful, just that the same has been suggested to GS by a few other members, and unless they act upon it, what we do in our project files aren't really any solution at all.
  • CreeperWareCreeperWare Member Posts: 43
    Big surprise to see GS mods taking shots at community members just trying to help fellow members out /s.

Being disrespectful of your paying customers and playing the favorites game is not a good way to run a business, and I recommend GS be more selective in who they grant mod status.

Regardless, kudos to @acceleratedgames for an excellent find! This will certainly tide us over, at least for testing purposes, until we get official GS support for the iPhone 5 / new-gen iTouch screen resolutions.
    edited September 2012
    Hey guys,
    I think I have to clear some things up.

First, AGsBuddy and I are not the same person, we are partners in making games.

Second, we share the same computor when using GameSalad and making are game assets just to keep things organized.

Third, I was not aware editing XML files is against the rules.

Thanks @CreeperWare for your support and trust in me.
  • CreeperWareCreeperWare Member Posts: 43
    No problem @acceleratedgames.

I can understand that technically, modifying xml files may (or likely is) against the ToS for GameSalad.

But I think that sometimes we need to look at the big picture.

We are talking about editing some value, in a file, for some software designed to make games for smartphones.

All this, for the purpose of helping enthusiasts and budding programmers / entrepreneurs to get the most out of their hobby / scrape out a living.

We are NOT talking about a threat to national security here lol.
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    Okay so here I go. I am not as one can see a moderator or linecook but I am an long standing member of this community. First @tenrdrmr was just pointing out the facts. GS has a TOS for a reason. As was mentioned if you want to edit code then grow some big boy pants and learn JavaScript or C# and use one of the many powerful game creation tools out there and get on with it. I for one am sick of the impatient and complainers it's worse than ever. All these half a$$ developers get on here and bitch about the tool and blame it for not having sales. Here is a clue, look in the mirror if your games not selling it because people don't like it. making great games takes talent and GS can't give you that. game creation may be for everyone but talent isn't. And before you say it, yes I know I'm an ahole.
    Just talked to a friend of mine that codes iPhone/iPad apps using Xcode. He said that all we would need is a 4in spalsh screen because of the way GameSalad stretches the game to fit the screen. But, it would be nice to have official support.

Also, @FryingBaconStudios, you are right. We should not blame GameSalad for no sales, it's our fault. My game has received 40 daily purchases, which is proof that this software can do great things. We should probably have a section on the forums dedicated to game design and game theory.