Publishing to GS Arcade - doesn't work

BrandonDBrandonD Member Posts: 12
edited October 2012 in Working with GS (Mac)
Hi I posted this in a thread before but didn't receive any replies, hopefully if I try again someone out there might be able to offer some assistance.

I created a simple game in GS with some elementary school students, it's not very complex and works just fine in Web Preview - but when I publish it to GS arcade the title screen flashes for a moment and then everything just goes black.

Also, when I try to create a mac app I get to the part where you sign the app and GS crashes. There is no explanation of the error, and it does this every time I try to create the app.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, here is a link to the game: http://arcade.gamesalad.com/game/106660

Comments

• LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880
    First thing that came to mind was tables don't work in arcade but you say web preview works so that I guess you do not use tables?
    What I would do myself is check if there are any faulty images or sounds.
    Are they all .png for images and a supported sound format?

If that is in order try the following:
    Make a copy of your project (!) delete them and try arcade or create a macapp again.
    The best way if debugging is to eliminate in steps.
    If deleting assets solve the problem put them back in by making a new copy of the original project and start with deleting 50% of the images and try publishing. Keep track of what you delete. If publishing fails delete half of what is left of the images again and repeat.
    If at some point it works you know the last half of the deleted images has the faulty one. Take half of that group and put it back in. Does it work? Throw in half of the rest of the 'faulty' group etc until it stops working. Then drag half of the last group out until you find the faulty one.
    I know it sounds like a lot of work but it's in fact a fast process of debugging.
    I believe it should always take only 7 steps (or was it 5?) no matter how many images you have.
    You can also do this with sound, actors (by removing them from a scene), scenes) by removing them from a project) etc.
    When you find an image to be faulty, open it in photoshop (or another graphic program you use), select all, make a new document with the same dimensions and paste it. Then save it as a .png. This removes any faults in the image. You can do a similar thing with sounds, copying and pasting a wave to a new sound file in your sound program of choice.

Let me know if this helps.
  • BrandonDBrandonD Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2012
    I was planning to use tables but changed my mind. Now that you mentioned the problem with tables and GS arcade I'm glad I made that decision.

I'll do what you suggest, but first let me mention one other thing. GS arcade will also not allow me to delete the game! I uploaded it twice, thinking that perhaps something screwy happened in the upload process. When I went to delete the previous game, it asked if I was sure I wanted to delete it permanently, then it just sat there for a long time before going to a "no data received" screen. I tried to delete the game over and over, and each time the same thing happened. I thought, perhaps it's the internet connection? So I tried it much later and still the same result. In fact, I tried it again just now and I'm still unable to delete the game. This leads me to suspect that there may be an error on the GS arcade side of things, even if I downloaded a faulty game I should still be able to delete it, right?
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880
    I am not sure if deleting can be done. I don't think that is the problem though.
    Perhaps we should ask @SaladStraightShooter

BTW it takes 8 steps and my method of elimination is called a binary search ;)
  • BoxedpigBoxedpig Member Posts: 24
    is your game portrait?
    Hi SaladStraightShooter, I noticed that the recent changes you mentioned have made a difference in the gameplay. Now if I try to play the game, the title screen loads just fine. I can also go to the instruction screen without any issues. However, when I go to the main playing scene the screen freezes and creeps along at a snail's pace.

I will keep working with debugging on my end just in case there is a problem on my side, but I wanted to keep you updated on the results on this end.
    @Boxedpig: the game is landscape. The very first simple game I made was portrait and I noticed that when I published it, it was stretched into landscape. So the second game I made with my elementary school class was intentionally made landscape so that it wouldn't have to be stretched out.
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    Wow!

@BrandonD … works fine now! … loving the music!

@SaladStraightShooter … thank you! and thank the guys for the fixes in Arcade!

image MH
    Hi, just wanted to give you guys an update - the game has been loading but it has been REALLY lagging for me. I went through the troubleshooting process that Ludwig recommended, and discovered that the background png image is causing the lagging. It is a 4-frame animation. When it is not in the scene, the game goes much faster.

So I took the image into photoshop and resized it to a size divisible by 8 (just in case that was causing the problem), then re-saved it. I also saved it as a jpg, just in case that would change anything. I imported it back into the game, but it still lags just as it did.

The game works smoothly when testing it, it is only when published online that it lags. Does anyone have a recommendation of how to fix the image?
  • WarduckWarduck Member Posts: 2
    I uploaded my game to the arcade and it freezes everytime my ball hits the wall or solids
    so i feel your pain