Gamesalad versus Construct 2

neontetraneontetra Member Posts: 9
edited November 2012 in Miscellaneous
I am looking to create an interactive educational book app. I want all the cool physics and interaction like Alice for iPad. Been looking at these two game engines but confused which one to learn and stick with. C2 looked great until i read the forums on how few actual action games are published on the iTunes store - i'm not talking puzzles and jigsaws either. Seems like they still have problems even with third-party services like appmobi and cocoonjs and i'm not sure they should boast about how easy it is to export to native iOS, Android etc - forums make that clear. So i had another look at GS and you have some real nice games selling very well. As a designer, illustrator, i want to pick the right engine and get started asap. Okay, i know it's like a fox at a hen party asking if chickens are better than canines, but i'm pretty sure some of you here might have reasons to say Go with C2 or stick with GS. My money is waiting to be spent. Help!

Comments

• MantoManto Member Posts: 796
    edited November 2012
    From what I have tried Construct 2, I would say that it really is harder to publish the app. Anyway there're more build-in blocks of code, which makes Construct 2 sometimes faster. For example when building a platformer game you would need to "code" less to get the player working than in GameSalad.

I think there wasn't Construct 2 when I started with GS, but if I would have to choose one now I would say GS because I feel it easier to publish and easier to use. The UI in GS is better in my opinion. I find the "coding part" easier to understand. Also I think there's more tutorials to get started. The forums here are superb! You can ask anything and people will help you! :)

Anyway I'm sure you can create the app with both game engines. The choice is yours.

Notice: I have been using GS for over 2,5 years. C2 for just a few weeks in total.
  • PBEmpirePBEmpire Member Posts: 676
    I don't think you are allowed to compare
  • SearleSamaSearleSama Member Posts: 108
    Well for starters GS has a MacOSX creator (I hate windows). behaviours in GS are really really easy to learn and make sense. Construct and other windows builders like it for that matter, IMHO, have kindof a big learning curve because how confusing their layout is. GS was built to be a mobile app creator. Those other ones started as just a 2D windows game creator and tacked on the exporters to try and keep up with the mobile dev trend. Needless to say its overly complicated to get your games to compile and work well enough for mobile upload.

GS would be perfect for an interactive book, and I think it would play beautifully if constructed right. I hope my opinion helps! cheers.
  • neontetraneontetra Member Posts: 9
    Many thanks Manto1 and SearleSama. As a total noob, i have been comparing these two, trying to evaluate their strengths, but just as importantly, their ability to publish with ease. I was under the impression that C2's 2D physics engine was superior. You might want to comment on this! But i am not happy having to rely on third-party services like appmobi and taking a share of my revenue unless 100% necessary. I want to design, build and publish with ease. GS seems to be the daddy here, and you can publish to Windows 8 - that's a bit plus for me. As a windows XP user, i was looking at C2, but in delving deeper into the forums and reading pro C2 users gripes and complaints about publishing to mobile, it's put me off. Some member requested to see who had actually published a proper mobile game - not a puzzle or ebook, but a proper 60fps game. Nobody came forward with their amazing apps, not a sausage!
    So, looks like i have to get a Windows 7 PC or go for a mac.
    Thanks again for your help, and please add to the comments if you enlighten me any further.
  • JustMe74JustMe74 Member, PRO Posts: 542
    They're both good tools. There are also other "drag and drop" alternatives (like Stencyl). You should evaluate them all and choose the one that suits your needs the best.
  • neontetraneontetra Member Posts: 9
    Yes, i'll do that JustMe74. Thanks!
  • VolontaArtsVolontaArts Member Posts: 510
    @neontetra have your decided? because im thinking about this also, only because i dont think GS can hold the game im trying to make. too many actors.
  • MantoManto Member Posts: 796
    @BurberryArts If you're making a iOS/Android game with many actors, I would say Construct 2 is a big no. I've compared the performance between Construct 2 and GS, Construct 2 is a lot worse (on mobile).
    @manto1 thank you!
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    @BurBerryarts

Please don't resurrect nearly year old threads like this. Especially ones that serve no purpose in help gamesalad users better learn and understand GameSalad.
    @tenrdrmer im sorry i thought that was the purpose of the search
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    The purpose of the search is to find information to help you learn GameSalad. I fail to see how someone heehawing over moving to a different SDK helps anyone learn GameSalad.

Also in the case of old threads. you may very well be resurrecting outdated information. It would be far more appropriate, if the only thing you can find on a subject is a year old, To just simply make a new thread and ask your question so you can make sure you have recent up to date information.
    @tenrdrmer i agree just didnt want to get hit with the... "did you search?" comment. but i dont see anything wrong with discussing different SDK. We are suppose to be here to help eachother not help game salad. they have it made already. (speaking in a respectful way because i know they started at the bottom just like anyone else)

This discussion has been closed.