Is GameSalad Right for me?

I just spent $300 plus on a tutorial series that will teach me how to create games with GameSalad and Construct 2. Now looking at both pieces of software I see they work very much alike so there is no problem with the basics. My only worry is HOW MUCH control do I have with GS vs C2. Here is a list of things I need in order to make my final decision :

1. Does GS Allow you to publish games on your OWN site. IE HTML 5 embed?

2. If embedding is allowed, are there any watermarks or credits once game is published on said site?

3. Does the Windows Creator function like the Mac Creator?

4. Can you embed videos into the game?

I really want to be part of the GS publisher/Pro crowd, but these things must work work in my favor.

Thanks GS Community!

Comments

• LiquidGameworksLiquidGameworks Anchorage, AKMember, Sous Chef Posts: 956
    To answer your questions, in short... no. GS HTML5 is severely lacking, and comes with branded player, and has to be hosted through the arcade. It can technically be placed on your website, but its essentially an imprint from the GS arcade. Windows Creator can't do anything iOS, and has a different UI. GS cannot support videos at this time.

GS has not indicated, even in the roadmap, that they will improve the HTML5 experience for those who want to host independent instances.

If HTML5 is your primary goal, I would also look at Stencyl and YoYo Gamemaker as potential solutions (Stencyl in particular).

Though, these are all questions that could have been answered prior to a paid tutorial series. :P
  • neontetraneontetra Member Posts: 9
    I am in a similar situation to you Vectology. Though my earlier post was deleted because i was also asking for comparisons between GS and C2. Not sure why as i gave the thumbs up to GS for mobile. I see Construct 2 as the best HTML5 desktop game engine out there at the moment. It has great 2D Physics and is well suited to your needs. However, if you're looking to create apps for iOS, Android and Windows Phone 8, then GS is the clear winner here. Publishing to those native platforms is far easier. Looking at the C2 forums, it seems that even when using third party services like appmobi and cocoonjs, the process is a real pain and still much work needed for a smooth app compilation process.
    #Liquidgameworks, you say windows creator can't do anything in IOS! What do you mean? Can i not build an app and publish to iOS using a service like macincloud? They have a virtual mac server and software including GS, so couldn't i build on my windows pc and export to their GS mac version.
  • wpatenwpaten Member, PRO Posts: 281
    edited November 2012
    I am in a similar situation to you Vectology. Though my earlier post was deleted because i was also asking for comparisons between GS and C2. Not sure why as i gave the thumbs up to GS for mobile. I see Construct 2 as the best HTML5 desktop game engine out there at the moment. It has great 2D Physics and is well suited to your needs. However, if you're looking to create apps for iOS, Android and Windows Phone 8, then GS is the clear winner here. Publishing to those native platforms is far easier. Looking at the C2 forums, it seems that even when using third party services like appmobi and cocoonjs, the process is a real pain and still much work needed for a smooth app compilation process.
    #Liquidgameworks, you say windows creator can't do anything in IOS! What do you mean? Can i not build an app and publish to iOS using a service like macincloud? They have a virtual mac server and software including GS, so couldn't i build on my windows pc and export to their GS mac version.
    The problem with that solution @neontetra is the provisioning files that you will still need to install on that virtual server, for you to upload. I have no idea here (so please forgive me if I am speaking out of turn), but they may have a problem with you installing IOS Provisioning files on their machine. If they do actually allow that, then that may be a good workaround.

I think it's obvious that LiquidGamesworks was referring to a "Non-Virtual" machine when he was speaking of the difference between the Windows version and the Mac version.

• famekraftsfamekrafts Member, BASIC Posts: 834
    Macincloud allows provisioning profile.They allow xcode publishing and Allow profiles to be installed. Send them an email if you have doubts. What you can do is install gs in their virtual mac instead of using windows gs.
  • wpatenwpaten Member, PRO Posts: 281
    edited November 2012
    Yeah I don't need to check them out. I already have a Mac. ;-)

I was just pointing something out for you. But it looks like you have it covered.
  • neontetraneontetra Member Posts: 9
    Thanks wpaten and wickedsunny. macincloud seems like a good option for windows developers. But i would build on my pc and hopefully be able to export it to their cloud software GS version. Not sure if that's been done before. There must be plenty of devs doing this - no!
  • famekraftsfamekrafts Member, BASIC Posts: 834
    edited November 2012
    Windows version has its own problems. I couldnot seem to even get any templates loaded in win version. I would suggest install gs on Macincloud mac and use that. You will save yourself loads of trouble.
  • VectologyVectology Member Posts: 23
    Thank you everyone for your feedback! I think GameSalad is what im looking for :) Now I'm off to create some awesome games!
  • GamEasy EntertainmentGamEasy Entertainment IndiaMember Posts: 5

GS is Good but has it's own drawback like in the windows version (I Have Windows 7)

1. No TEMPLATES in the welcome screen

2. Crashes Without REASONS! sometime you will get incensed on the crashes of GS like For Ex:- You have been working on a project for quite a while and suddenly you lose your all work,Well That seriously Hurts

3. GameSalad Kind Distinguishes Between the mac and the Windows version.

But, At the end of the day i prefer GameSalad. Easy,Simple,Fantastic

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

GameEasy Entertainment,

This thread is almost 2 years old - there is no need to revive it, especially since the post by @Vectology‌ right above yours states that he found what he was looking for.

This discussion has been closed.