Help Opening GS Templates in Windows

TiluTilu PRO Posts: 18
edited January 2013 in Working with GS (PC)
I bought the Cheeseman and Doodle Jump templates in early December, but I couldn't open them with with GameSalad for Windows (I don't own any Apple products) because they both seemed to lack a 'GameSalad Creator game project file'. I believe they lack the file because the GS version used to release the latest marketplace versions may not have been up-to-date enough to support Windows/or maybe because they needed to specifically set up the templates to support Windows GameSalad when exporting to the marketplace (?).

I suspect this because GS for Windows only went into beta in around May 2012, while Doodle Jump was released just about the same time and Cheeseman not too long thereafter.

So you know what I'm talking about, attached is a comparison of the Doodle Jump style template and the Platformer demo. The Platformer demo has the needed file (far right; has a purple stripe on top with cartoon eyes) while the Doodle Jump template does not.

I'm posting this to get some input on what exactly may be the issue, to publicly put the concerned vendors on notice, and also to encourage them and other template vendors to update their templates to provide support GameSalad on Windows. At least note that you don't support Windows if you don't. Otherwise upset customers might complain, and both Windows and other put off users might shop elsewhere. Although can live with losing $25 on templates I can't use, I would certainly prefer just being able to use them.

-Tilu

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited January 2013
    Hi,

This is common. You need to save the Mac file on the latest version of GSCreator. Then convert to windows. That'll take care of the problem. It you need someone to save the files for you, send me a message. Below is the conversion tutorial if you haven't seen it yet.

http://gshelper.com/?p=1655
  • atxryanatxryan Member, Microsoft Team Posts: 117
    FYI - I've downloaded templates from the marketplace that didn't have have a .gsproj (GameSalad Creator game project folder) in them.

I simply created a new file called game.gsproj or whatever I wanted to name it. The file can be blank. Opening this file in the Windows Creator would then just as Braydon_SFX's video tutorial shows.
  • atxryanatxryan Member, Microsoft Team Posts: 117
    @Tilu - in your case, you can simply copy the platformer.gsproj over to the Doodle Jump template folder. This has worked for me on other projects.
  • TiluTilu PRO Posts: 18
    @atxryan
    Thanks a lot for the clarification. I was under the impression that I needed to use an Apple computer to do this.

I tried this method with success so I think you solved my problem.

Cheers

Tilu
  • ingenious.applicationsingenious.applications Member Posts: 102
    I use an older version of GS on my mac mini (9.94 is the newest it can handle) for the bulk of my build right now. Would there be an issue if I tried this method so that I could work on my app with my windows tower and then copying it back over to my mini when I am complete?
  • Ij10281Ij10281 Member Posts: 35
    I did this with Zombie drop but there's no art is that how it's suppose to be? And when I try to drag and drop images Gamesalad crashes
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    edited July 2013
    We convert all ours to PC so you get 2 folders when you download 1 for Mac and 1 for PC as we found even using the trick some of the PC ones still didn't run as expected because the PC version is really a few versions behind the Mac so we edit where needed.

Darren.