Unnecessary permissions on Android are KILLING sales (still)!

2»

Comments

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

Also I sent a second email to Gamesalad Support (about a billing propose) with no response (5 working days already in the second email). I think they just treat well who keep pro subscription on, total disrespectful.
    @mmzbr,

Can you send me a PM with the details of your support ticket? That should not happen and we certainly do take our Pro user support requests seriously. I will personally ensure we get the issue resolved if need be.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• mataruamatarua Auckland, New ZealandMember Posts: 854
    @dgackey thanks Dan - I do hope this can be resolved, cheers, M@
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    When I first read the title of this thread, I thought there was a new GameSalad game called "Unnecessary Permissions" that was doing well with sales.

Heh, then I realized it was the pesky "Metrics Gathering" issue again.

This one issue is what stops me from renewing my GameSalad pro subscription.
    Truthfully we can't even do a privacy policy for our stuff because we really don't know what's going on with the info.
    Exactly! The problem with GameSalad becomes quite clear when you think about it on this level.

Seriously, GameSalad... stop hurting yourself and others. Just turn off Metrics Gathering for Pro users! You can live without metrics from Pro subscribers, but I'm thinking you can't live without Pro subscribers.
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    We're still in communication with the folks at AVG. It's taking time for them to tell us what they find so offensive about the APKs we generate.

More info when it's available!
    @CodeWizard - what about...

Lookout?
    Avast?
    TrustGo?
    Symantec?
    Antiy?
    AVL?
    Bitdefender?

Do you have a definitive list of what security platforms flag each APK?

Cheers, M@
    @matarua
    A/V providers are generally follow-the-leader in my experience. Once one adds detection for something the others follow suit quickly. So I think dealing with a couple of them and figuring out exactly what the problem is will give us the guidance we need to resolve the problem across the board.

At least that's my dream! :D
    @Matarua I'm in communication with Symantec now as well. We're contacting vendors based on the frequency and severity of reports we're receiving.

Your list is a big one (and not even comprehensive, amazingly) but as @CodeWizard mentions, the vast majority of reports are coming from the biggest players in that space. Obviously if a bunch of users report issues with another vendor we'll queue up a plan of attack for them too, but for now we are focusing fire on the biggest offenders.

• solnikasolnika Member Posts: 132
    that's good to hear that you guys are working on the issue.

In the meanwhile it will be extremely useful if there was a list that summarize the information about the data you are tracking, so we could at least make a proper privacy policy.
    May 2
    To be honest, I don't have the full list of stats that we track off the top of my head. Let me do some research and summarize it for you. More news soon.
    August 20
    We're also preparing some information about the kinds of data we are tracking. This'll be useful for you to better understand what's going on. We're committed to complying with COPA regulations, of course. We'll post more on this soon.
    August 20
    We're working on providing an authoritative list for what metrics we gather. We'll post more information when it's ready.

Thanks!
    Just saying :)

Please don't leave this behind.
    I'll be the first to purchase pro when this will be sorted out

Thanks
    I do believe we'll be posting this data in the next day or so.
    that's good to hear that you guys are working on the issue.
    Please don't leave this behind.
    I'll be the first to purchase pro when this will be sorted out

Thanks
    @Solnika,

I can assure you that this issue was being resolved in emails literally while you posted that. @Codewizard will have something to share on this front end of the week at the latest.

It should not have taken this long for us to get this information collected, but as often happens, well-meaning attorneys seek to protect their clients from threats, and sometimes that gets in the way of common sense.

Let it be known that today, common sense prevailed ;)

• solnikasolnika Member Posts: 132
    edited November 2013
    @CodeWizard, @dgackey

That's great to hear, Thanks for the answers.

Regards
    Alex
    @CodeWizard, @dgackey

That's great to hear, Thanks for the answers.

Regards
    Alex
    You're welcome. Sorry it took so long.

Dished out two Awesomes - thanks guys - awesome update and can understand the time things take.

Would it be an option to allow pro users to disable the free to play APK, metrics etc. on their paid apps? I remember it being said that the services are all together - rolled out in each app whether needed or not. Is that still the case?

And @dgackey it is great to hear some common sense is prevailing. #:-S

As for a comprehensive list? That makes me shudder - these things are a scourge on the net - hate em! Really what's worse - the problem or the solution? So glad Windows made their own - one that you can hopefully trust to not cripple your machine.

@CodeWizard may you live out your dreams :)>-
  • artfishartfish Member, PRO Posts: 369
    Thank you for addressing this! :)]
    edited November 2013

Would it be an option to allow pro users to disable the free to play APK, metrics etc. on their paid apps? I remember it being said that the services are all together - rolled out in each app whether needed or not. Is that still the case?
    Yes, this is something we know some of you want and we'd like to put more control in users' hands here. Can't really get too much into business side specifics, but it's a tricky thing to get right and we need to make sure we don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Ace - sounds like you guys are all over this now and that is great to hear :)
  • mmzbrmmzbr Member Posts: 311
    @dgackey I sent you a message, thanks for that.
    Thanks @mmzbr, going through my backlog of mails now :)

We have a bit more information on this. Check out the following thread and give us some info on your apps if you're seeing these false positive reports.

The thread is: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/61932/getting-false-antivirus-warnings-on-your-android-apk

It looks like it may be Mobwin that's causing the false positives. We're doing tests in the nightly builds tomorrow to see if we can stop the false positives. The "test" will be removing Mobwin and Mobclix from the code.

More news soon!
    Some great news for this thread - @BlackCloakGS has announced no virus alerts with the latest build and is in the nightly - how is that people?

Awesome.