Updated privacy policy and data collection summary

CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
edited November 2013 in GameSalad Kitchen
It's been a long time coming but we've finally updated our privacy policy and summarized the events we collect in GameSalad applications.

You can see the privacy policy here: http://www.gamesalad.com/privacy
You can see the event summary here: http://www.gamesalad.com/application-events

For those of you that don't want to dig into the depths of the privacy policy to find the relevant information. Here it is:

Data Collection in Apps Created with GameSalad

When you install or run Apps or Games developed with GameSalad, we may collect some or all of the following information about the App or Game and your device hardware and software:

- GameSalad App ID
- Platform App ID
- GameSalad User ID of the user that created the Application
- Version of GameSalad Creator used to create the Application
- Device Model and Manufacturer
- Device OS version
- Network and Carrier
- IP Address
- Device Locale Country and Language
- Device Memory
- Unique Device Identifier
- Application Events

We collect this data for quality assurance purposes and to support the internal operations of our platform.

Comments

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    Having access to some of those events would be awesome! :)
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    We have the data... and also have some work done on a system to allow you to view this data yourself. But it's not ready yet. :D
  • KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    We have the data... and also have some work done on a system to allow you to view this data yourself. But it's not ready yet. :D
    Amazing! That would definitely be useful, especially the last few events like opening and closing the app

• HalfBakedProductionsHalfBakedProductions Member, PRO Posts: 248
    That's great! Thank You :D
  • GLAGLA Member, PRO Posts: 60
    wow! that's awesome!
  • SirioGarciaSirioGarcia Member Posts: 52
    Great!
  • colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610
    Adding a Device Type attribute should be a snap when can we have that?
  • neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826
    edited November 2013
    Fantastic !!! Thank you for the info.
  • mataruamatarua Auckland, New ZealandMember Posts: 854
    Nice one :D
  • solnikasolnika Member Posts: 132
    Thanks for the info.
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 554
    It'll be awesome to have such a utility. It'll provide us a great insight into how players are interacting with the app. Will be eagerly looking forward to this one.
  • lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
  • vafurlogivafurlogi Member, PRO Posts: 203
    What is the reason for collecting IP numbers and Unique Device Identifier?
  • vafurlogivafurlogi Member, PRO Posts: 203
    edited June 2014

@vafurlogi said:
    What is the reason for collecting IP numbers and Unique Device Identifier?

@CodeWizard‌ I'd like to ask the above question again. Also I'd like to know if any of those permissions are not used if no ads are used in the app? You say "we may collect some or all of the following information..." how do we know, is there a way? I'm constructing a privacy policy for a kids app that ideally should not require any permissions at all, and I'm struggling how to justify them all. Saying something along the lines of "The platform that I used to make my game may possibly collect this data for quality assurance purposes and to support the internal operations of their platform, and I have no control or even access to it or knowledge how it's used or to whom it's given." is not putting many paranoid parents at ease. Some of the permissions are just for advertising purposes right?

Also, didn't I read something about IOS 7 not allowing apps that use the Unique Device Identifier since last year? In any case people are getting more aware (paranoid?) of app permissions and I think it would be nice to have a better explanation of why (and even when) you are collecting info.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,318

Any update on the possibility for Pro users to disable this data collection in their apps?

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

@Armelline it is on our radar but i don't have a time line for you.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@BlackCloakGS‌ , @CodeWizard‌ ,

the following would be great to get access to

specially Language, Country and Device Model

@CodeWizard said:

• Platform App ID
    • Device Model and Manufacturer
    • Device OS version
    • Network and Carrier
    • Device Locale Country and Language
  • MarchiefMarchief Member, PRO Posts: 98

Gamesalad analytics? About time

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 679

You can see a lot of this data with Google analytics. The Amazon reporting stats are also really cool...you can see how many times your app was used on a particular day for example.

• MarchiefMarchief Member, PRO Posts: 98

@strag said:
    You can see a lot of this data with Google analytics. The Amazon reporting stats are also really cool...you can see how many times your app was used on a particular day for example.

Google analytics in gamesalad? How? I never found anything about it.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 679
    edited October 2014

@Back2Code Sorry if I'm confusing things...it's when you have published to Google Play or the Amazon store, this data is available via their respective developer dashboards and is massively useful for the tweaking of your apps.

• jorkosjorkos Member, PRO Posts: 353

Dear GS team, I hope would pay a small amount per month for this data.....please consider making this available. Without this data we don't really know how our apps are doing in terms of engagement - which is very critical!

• HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792

@BlackCloakGS @CodeWizard‌

There is a new question in the new iTunes Connect. For GS games do we say yes or no? Apparently vengeance will be swift and merciless if we get it wrong.

"Does this app use the Advertising Identifier (IDFA)?

The Advertising Identifier (IDFA) is a unique ID for each iOS device and is the only way to offer targeted ads. Users can choose to limit ad targeting on their iOS device.

Ensure that you select the correct answer for Advertising Identifier (IDFA) usage. If your app does contain the IDFA and you select No, the binary will be permanently rejected and you will have to submit a different binary."

• iamcarteziamcartez Houston, TexasMember Posts: 648
    edited October 2014

@HoneyTribeStudios said:
    BlackCloakGS CodeWizard‌

There is a new question in the new iTunes Connect. For GS games do we say yes or no? Apparently vengeance will be swift and merciless if we get it wrong.

"Does this app use the Advertising Identifier (IDFA)?

The Advertising Identifier (IDFA) is a unique ID for each iOS device and is the only way to offer targeted ads. Users can choose to limit ad targeting on their iOS device.

Ensure that you select the correct answer for Advertising Identifier (IDFA) usage. If your app does contain the IDFA and you select No, the binary will be permanently rejected and you will have to submit a different binary."

If your game uses 3rd party ads such as RevMob or Chartboost, YES.

If your game only uses iAds then NO.

That question was added a few months ago and gave all of us hell, an Apple reviewer even called me to give me the answer... -_-

• HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792

@iamcartez said:
    That question was added a few months ago and gave all of us hell, an Apple reviewer even called me to give me the answer... -_-

Cool, thanks for clarifying and posting.

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483
    edited September 2015

@Armelline said:
    Any update on the possibility for Pro users to disable this data collection in their apps?

@BlackCloakGS said:
    Armelline it is on our radar but i don't have a time line for you.

@BlackCloakGS Said that year back, Any updates on this ,it is becoming more difficult who is publish for kids under COPPA Act.

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    edited September 2015

Also this....

@CodeWizard said:

...quote from November 2013...thats coming up to almost two years... is it any closer to being ready yet?

If the software is pulling data, then it really should be available to us to see, and make use of.

Like @NimbleBug mentioned above, the long requested data collection opt-out for pro users, is something else. Again, promised for so long... and the lack of it probably drives potential customers away, especially those looking to build clean Child friendly apps, that don't want, or need to pull any kind of data at all.

These really are good examples of low hanging fruits that GS should just get sorted out... no reason why they shouldn't be relatively quick and easy to implement (they already have everything available internally), but have a wide reaching effect on many current and potentially new users....

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483

@Chunkypixels said:
    Also this....

@CodeWizard @BlackCloakGS Please ....please ............please....add this feature .