Mysterious game lockup

johnnykjohnnyk Member Posts: 3

I am using Gamesalad for a game design class. We use an internal network to create and save games. One of the students can bring in art, create and save a game. When she re-opens the game, the all the art is missing. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited March 2014

@johnnyk said:
    We use an internal network to create and save games.

GameSalad does not support network home directories. GameSalad project files will need to be created and saved on a local hard drive or in Dropbox.

Also make sure that only one student is using a project file at any given time, otherwise it may corrupt the files.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• johnnykjohnnyk Member Posts: 3

Thanks for the correspondence. I am at a private Catholic high school, and we have been able to work via networks with the exception of a few isolated cases. I will have 3 student teams working on final projects and it would be more convenient if they could share game versions without using flash/hard drives. Unfortunately Dropbox is blocked on our network. Any suggestions?

My suggestion is to ask your tech department to allow Dropbox. Beyond that, I imagine that if they are blocking Dropbox they are also blocking other file-sharing services.

If your students have Google Apps accounts, they can share smaller project files (under 25 MB) with each other using email or Drive.

The missing images issue is a known bug related to networked file servers. In my experience, it occurs even with project files that were created on a network file server and then moved to a non-networked drive or Dropbox.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

Thanks! I have our network guy looking at the issue. This could be a good way to advocate the use of Dropbox. The mystery is why the one student is having issues with the game she is creating in her own documents folder. All software and files are operating via the network so I am assuming it must be related to that.

I have a hard time understanding why a school wouldn't allow Dropbox. And I manage our content filter so I'm well aware of arguments for and against certain services and sites. We even suggest it as a replacement for flash drives among our elementary school age students since flash drives break and get lost so easily. We're also not a Catholic school, so I admit ignorance there.

I have a question on project files. Right now I have the students organize their folders as Sprites, Games, Backgrounds and Sounds. All are under a root folder called Assets. The games are saved in the Games folder. Would you suggest something else? Thanks for all your help.