RC3 and Premultiplied Alpha when using Fireworks

stueynetstueynet TorontoMember Posts: 166

I wanted to start this thread in relation to the PNG image issues a lot of people are having. Please reference the release thread for the gist:

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/66601/release-candidate-0-11-0-3-is-available

So after searching, I have found that Adobe Fireworks premultiplies alpha in pngs and there does not appear to be a way around it. The problem this causes is if you use a Fireworks produced png file, assign it to an actor, and then adjust the actor's alpha in Game Salad, you get a desaturation and de-contrasting effect. I am hoping someone knows a good way around this other than not using Fireworks.

I have attached a project file that demonstrates the issue. The image created is a default 32bit png exported from fireworks.

My Latest GS Game - Tiny Spirit
My First GS Game - Dashing Ralph

Comments

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@stueynet I'm glad you started a separate thread about this. It becomes too hard to follow multiple topics in one thread. Let's see who else can help us sort this out.

• lukejnrlukejnr Member, PRO Posts: 63

Thanks for the thread. I use Fireworks CS6 for all my PNG export and editing so this is a potential issue for me.

Out of interest what are people using to export to TGA, from what I can tell only Photoshop and Gimp support exporting to these formats from the mainstream graphic applications.

• stueynetstueynet TorontoMember Posts: 166

@lukecurley said:
    Thanks for the thread. I use Fireworks CS6 for all my PNG export and editing so this is a potential issue for me.

Out of interest what are people using to export to TGA, from what I can tell only Photoshop and Gimp support exporting to these formats from the mainstream graphic applications.

I have tried the exact same thing with both Photoshop compressed PNG and non Compressed PNG and they have the same issue as the attached file above. If someone can create a png and have it look correct please provide the steps.

• TinpotTinpot Member Posts: 54
    edited April 2014

@stueynet did this fix with any later release candidate versions for you?

Similar issue for me still, but not using Fireworks. Thinking it might be the compressed png images no longer compatible with the new engine in the 0.11 release.
    Going back to 0.10.4.1 seems to still work without the washed out look.

Looking at my options at the moment. Wasn't sure if re-importing the "washed out" images into say GIMP/Photoshop, and exporting to TGA would help fix this up?

• stueynetstueynet TorontoMember Posts: 166

@Tinpot said:
    stueynet did this fix with any later release candidate versions for you?

Similar issue for me still, but not using Fireworks. Thinking it might be the compressed png images no longer compatible with the new engine in the 0.11 release.
    Going back to 0.10.4.1 seems to still work without the washed out look.

Looking at my options at the moment. Wasn't sure if re-importing the "washed out" images into say GIMP/Photoshop, and exporting to TGA would help fix this up?

Yes this was fixed as of RC4

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

Incase you guys didn't notice it yet, under the topic Release Candidate 0.11.0.5 BlackCloakGS said,

"...We will be moving the engine (not creator ) to use a proprietary file format that should beat out any png image for loading speed and memory usage. We are looking into what we can do about bring the file size down however there are trade off for getting the faster loading times and smaller memory foot print."

I responded "Everything was looking roses until you mentioned introducing a proprietary image format.

Is GS going to provide us will all the image preparation and manipulation tools in a free application that will replace FireWorks, Photoshop, Motion, Vue, Final Cut Pro, Anime Studio, Poser et al? That would be Awesome!

Or do you mean the new engine will convert our PNGs to a GS proprietary format, the way the previous versions convert JPGs to PNG on upload?"