Just use this software for mac
    http://pngmini.com/

or this for windows users:
    http://x128.ho.ua/color-quantizer.html

Open your Image then save it = done

Or directly online:
    https://tinypng.com/

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

@araPix‌ have you tried with tinypng.com? Are images ran through this still supported?

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited May 2014

@JodyMitoma said:
    I had no idea you could drag .PSD's into Game Salad. SCORE.

Yeah, that's how I've always worked, you can have a PSD with all the layers and alpha channels and paths (or whatever you've got going on in your PSD) and simply drag the PSD into GameSalad . . . . no need to save as or otherwise convert.

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685
  • PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@The_Gamesalad_Guru‌ Dave this is brilliant. Everyone with a Mac has Preview already, so this is so simple compared to messing around in Terminal.

• WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621
  • kongPLUSkongPLUS Member, PRO Posts: 20

I woke up this morning to find all of my art doing crazy things, but your method one fixed it all! Thanks a bunch!

• ChechesoftChechesoft Member, PRO Posts: 171

I am out of luck, preview freezes when trying to bacht convert with "export selected images".. it only works exporting individual images...

In the end, I used Photoshop, created a new action and then running a batch process...
    http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Batch_Process_Images_in_Photoshop

• radagarradagar Member, PRO Posts: 47

method one seems to have worked perfectly thank you very much took away the yellow wash on my images.

edited May 2014

@Chunkypixels said:
    Yup... I agree... Seems very confusing.

photoshop 8 bit PNG format can hardly be called non-standard, exotic or irregular. It's one of the most widely used formats in mobile gaming... Generated from the most widely used image processing software in the world.

It should be one of the first formats that GameSalad test against, and have support for... And should be one of the most widely documented PNG graphics formats out there.

So for it to now be broken and not supported, and labelled as non-standard, exotic or irregular is a joke.

I don't see how improved ingame image processing speed, at the cost of increased app size, increased loading times, and the removal of support of one of the most widely used graphics formats can be an overall improvement... Surely that's steps backwards...

What's really odd is that all this effort has been made to point people towards using 24/32 bit images and away from 8 bit images . . . yet a bug exists where all 24 bit images passed from GameSalad to iOS are then converted back to an 8 bit palette !

I would have thought it should be a priority to resolve this issue before forcing people into a 24/32 bit workflow ?

As it stands at the moment - and specifically if you are unaware of the single-transprent-pixel-trick ( STPT™©2011 :) ) - GameSalad effectively doesn't support 24 bit images on iOS devices, the conversion from 8 bit images to 24 bit images does nothing more than make your file sizes a lot bigger when on disk (although I'd have to admit to not knowing how bit depth impacts on the new image handling system).

As I have come to understand, many of us where confused about the whole 8 bits, and 8 bits per channel difference. They are not the same thing. You should not save your work as a 8bit png, but it should in 8bit/channel mode....

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274

This has really been a pain. I have images all created the same way, some are washed out, some are perfectly fine. This spreads across a number of projects, mostly newer projects.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

Just a tip on another GS compatible PNG creating app:

As well as FireWorks, I also use "Art Text 2 Lite" (Mac) to create title graphics, buttons and game characters/pieces. It only exports PNGs as 32bit with transparency and they work fine in both 0.10.4.1 and 0.11.0.13

• aaronforsteraaronforster Member Posts: 28

Tinypng.com is an awesome little tool. It's brought the memory needed down by about 50% and they don't even look any different. Happy for that little gem.

Saying that, I'm still getting some strange behaviors though. It seems from the community that anyone on a PC is heading for headache.

• joyseekerjoyseeker Member, PRO Posts: 8

Thank you! My png images were pixelating on the edges when my png was a dark color on my Android. I ran the image through tinypng.com, and it fixed the problem.

• joyseekerjoyseeker Member, PRO Posts: 8

Tinypng.com helped somewhat but didn't completely alleviate the problem with the edges of my images. I put a 1 px transparent border around my image, and that totally worked.

• QwazzMeQwazzMe Member, PRO Posts: 39

I don't understand it. You write that PROs accounts can still use the PNG images, but mine aren't working. I use Illustrator and Photoshop, the pngs should work fine, right?

Please help! I can't get the transparency to work....

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@QwazzMe said:
    I don't understand it. You write that PROs accounts can still use the PNG images, but mine aren't working. I use Illustrator and Photoshop, the pngs should work fine, right?

Please help! I can't get the transparency to work....

Use "save for web" and check the transparency box. In the new versions of photoshop it's under File>export> save for web (legacy).

Also, make sure you have no backgrounds on when using transparency.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    Use "save for web" and check the transparency box. In the new versions of photoshop it's under File>export> save for web (legacy).

You can just use a normal save command (cmd+s) as well.

edited February 2016

@Socks said:

@AlchimiaStudios said:

You can just use a normal save command (cmd+s) as well.

Sure, if it's already a png and not a psd, or another file format. I was giving explicit instructions on how one can ensure they are saving with transparency and as a png.

edited February 2016

//

edited February 2016

@Socks said:

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    Sure, if it's already a png . . .

I mean if you are creating a new image in Photoshop, you can simply hit Save.

If the image is like you say already a png you can still simply hit Save.

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    and not a psd, or another file format.

Most other file formats - like .psd - import into GameSalad just fine. I always use PSDs as you can have a layered file that you can work on and edit as you please - and also drag into GameSalad.

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    I was giving explicit instructions on how one can ensure they are saving with transparency and as a png.

Simply using the normal Save command will do this as well.

Yup, not gonna get into one of these with you @Socks I was trying to help someone out, you're just providing potentially confusing information.

I really don't need a tutorial on how to use Photoshop. You're leaving out so many variables just to make sure you can get some weird point across.

So you're right. Using plain old save is always going to work in every situation, and I shouldn't suggest using save for web. In fact it should have been removed from Photoshop as with every other export capability.

Don't know why they even bothered keeping it as legacy when they switched to the new export engine.

edited February 2016

//

edited February 2016

@Socks said:

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    Yup, not gonna get into one of these with you @Socks I was trying to help someone out, you're just providing potentially confusing information.

'get into one of these' ?

I added to your comment, I said you can also use Save.

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    I really don't need a tutorial on how to use Photoshop. You're leaving out so many variables just to make sure you can get some weird point across.

Pointing out you can simply use Save is not a 'weird point'.

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    So you're right. Using plain old save is always going to work in every situation, and I shouldn't suggest using save for web.

Straw man argument, I've not said any of that.

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    In fact it should have been removed from Photoshop as with every other export capability.

Hmmmm . . . . like I say you can also simply use Save, any idea that there is anything to 'get into' ('not gonna get into one of these with you') or that pointing out that you can very straightforwardly use Save is an attempt to 'get some weird point across' is mistaken.

:) Alright then. I don't think it's something you do consciously. But often times in the forums you get into very long winded discussions that don't even need to happen half the time. After all you have 10k posts. I doubt i'm the only one who notices this.

Of course you do provide good information a lot of the time. Nothing against that.

Point is, he had an issue with transparency of PNG's. If he's using an actual .png, exported from adobe suite (which appears to be the case) and it doesn't have transparency.

Opening and doing a "save" isn't going to solve anything.

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    :) Alright then. I don't think it's something you do consciously. But often times in the forums you get into very long winded discussions that don't even need to happen half the time. After all you have 10k posts. I doubt i'm the only one who notices this.

Why not make your case instead of snidely alluding to 'After all you have 10k posts' ? Why make this so personal, what on earth has "you have 10k posts" and "I doubt i'm the only one who notices this" got to do with saving PNGs ?

What does that even mean, that I should make my posts shorter or post less ?

Again, what does the my post count have to do with anything ?

Honestly I'm not going to even read the rest of your post, I added that you can very simply use Save, you are presumably in a bad mood (?) and so feel the need to pick a fight ? You say you're 'not gonna get into one of these with' yet have decided to make this personal ?

Let's leave it there, reply if you want I won't read it, but others will, so play to them, I'll remove my post so you are left in no doubt that you are right and I am wrong, and that I'm trying to make a weird point, and trying to 'get into' something and giving out 'potentially confusing information' and trying to give you a 'tutorial on how to use Photoshop' and the rest of your nonsense !

@Socks said:

@AlchimiaStudios said:

Why not make your case instead of snidely alluding to 'After all you have 10k posts' ? Why make this so personal, what on earth has "you have 10k posts" and "I doubt i'm the only one who notices this" got to do with saving PNGs ?

What does that even mean, that I should make my posts shorter or post less ?

Again, what does the my post count have to do with anything ?

Honestly I'm not going to even read the rest of your post, I added that you can very simply use Save, you are presumably in a bad mood (?) and so feel the need to pick a fight ? You say you're 'not gonna get into one of these with' yet have decided to make this personal ?

Let's leave it there, reply if you want I won't read it, but others will, so play to them, I'll remove my post so you are left in no doubt that you are right and I am wrong, and that I'm trying to make a weird point, and trying to 'get into' something and giving out 'potentially confusing information' and trying to give you a 'tutorial on how to use Photoshop' and the rest of your nonsense !

Not about playing to anyone. I simply don't care about that at all.

The point remains that if you want to explicitly and 100% make sure that regardless of the document type you are saving as .png with transparency, that's how you do it.

It will even show you that it's saving as 24bit png with 8 bit transparency on that export page.

Hard to get it wrong when you can see exactly what your exporting as.

Is it the only way? No.

But when someone has an issue like this, and they export from the program itself and do not achieve transparency, then I would say they should absolutely use this method as the next step.

But each time I replied you continued to break down my posts as to why it wasn't the way you do it. Do you really believe in this case simply using "save" would resolve the issue?

Or did you just want to start a discussion?

So that's my point, you post a lot in this way. Leading discussion into what were currently doing, getting off topic and adding extra information that's probably not needed.

I know I came off as a little harsh, but believe it or not, so do you.

• QwazzMeQwazzMe Member, PRO Posts: 39

Also, make sure you have no backgrounds on when using transparency.

That's what I do and always have done (and I had no problems before). I even tried to save both in png-8 and in png-24, but I still get the white background...
    (I have CS5)

All my previous apps had transparency, and it worked fine, now I can't get it to work... This is a bug that should be fixed! It shouldn't be our problem to solve, that GameSalad can't show transparency...

I'm really frustrated...

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

@QwazzMe said:
    That's what I do and always have done (and I had no problems before). I even tried to save both in png-8 and in png-24, but I still get the white background...
    (I have CS5)

All my previous apps had transparency, and it worked fine, now I can't get it to work... This is a bug that should be fixed! It shouldn't be our problem to solve, that GameSalad can't show transparency...

I'm really frustrated...

GameSalad can show transparency. Since this works for the vast majority of people, the problem is much more likely with your image or how you've saved it or the format you've used than it is a problem with GameSalad. Perhaps post a sample image that you can't get to import into GameSalad with transparency and we'll take a look at it.