>> SORT 'EM! puzzle app • progress thread

gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
edited November 2013 in Announce Your Game!
Hi, while I've been waiting for my 3rd app to be reviewed (and a little before that) I started a new project.

So this one is called SORT 'EM!; a word puzzle game which I'll be giving away free with 10% of the puzzles that can be played and IAP to unlock the full game.

I hope to have it finished in a couple of weeks and then in the store before Christmas, with any luck, although before that, another of my mini apps will hit the store. So I've probably confused you now… here's the state of play with my apps, if interested (all for the iPad):

---------------------------------
* Build the Earth Puzzle: iTunes store
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/build-the-earth-puzzle/id501390758?mt=8

* Mega Clock Alarm Date and Timer Deluxe: iTunes store
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/mega-clock-alarm-date-timer/id726496735?mt=8

* Mega Conversion Calculators Deluxe:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/mega-conversion-calculators/id733271423?mt=8

* Xxxxx Xxxxxx : small entertainment app in progress, hopefully be ready in a week or so

* SORT 'EM! puzzle game, finished and in the stores before Christmas, fingers crossed.
---------------------------------

Here's the first progress video… please note, although any constructive criticisms are welcomed, it still has a way to go visually, I realise… (oh, and the title on the main card is SORT IT! which was my original title for it… yet to replace…)

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

Comments

• SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Looks nice Dave! Best of luck with it. Can't wait to see the final product!
  • mataruamatarua Auckland, New ZealandMember Posts: 854
    @gyroscope be busy!
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited November 2013

Cheers, @SnapFireStudios, @Braydon_SFX @matarua :-)

Update on progress: I've been doing a fair bit of yet more laborious programming in each of the 25 buttons over the last two days - pretty much non-stop for hours on end - finished 20 mins ago, tested it and…. whooped out loud… somehow, not one mistake, and now, I can put any size grid (3x3, 4x3, 4x4, 3x5, 4x5 or 5x5) on any level, just by changing two attributes for each level (as well as changing the table entry accordingly), it'll set up correctly on the scene. I'm a bit chuffed, though I say it myself… :-) Also makes it so much easier to add new levels in updates without any worries, just adding table entries and changing the two atts. per level (all in the one scene too).

For interest, I also worked out a simple algorithm for a randomising system for each grid, based on which level it's on… sort of difficult to explain further, but really straightforward if you saw how it's done… working that out has certainly saved me hours, if not days, of extra programming.

So now, what I've got to do: just to finalise the showing of completed groups with the names of the groups, and sort out the scoring system, followed by the IAP stuff, (then type in the words for the 60 levels in the Table), the graphics stuff to finalise, then SORT 'EM! will be ready to fire; but I'll post another progress vid. before that anyhow.

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

Cheers, @timolapre1998 :-)

For info, I think I'm trying to do too much… I'll be very surprised if this is ready before Christmas now, and even the mini app I wanted to get out there maybe not this side either… I'll plough on and see what happens anyhow.

I hope to put up another progress video of SORT 'EM! soon though… maybe tonight but more than likely tomorrow.

• FallingBoxStudiosFallingBoxStudios Freelance Graphic Designer Member Posts: 822
    edited December 2013
    @gyroscope Can't wait :) may I ask what font you used for the logo? Thanks :) image
    edited December 2013
    @gyroscope Can't wait :)
    Hi @RockitGames Glad you're keen to try the game too, thanks! :-) I'm ploughing on and I've made a couple of major advances today. Unlike my last 2 apps, this one is getting easier as I go, rather than the other way around. :-)
    may I ask what font you used for the logo? Thanks :) * game name pic *
    Sure: that typeface is called ShakeItUp (can't remember where I got it from tho', good luck with a Google search.)
    -----------------------
    *bumped comment* a second progress video of Sort 'Em possibly tonight, but more than likely tomorrow now, either way ,keep your eyes peeled for this thread if you'll like to see it.

edited December 2013

Hi. I found time to finish off all the programming for the levels tonight, and make a 2nd progress video (I have a very understanding wife! :x ).

It shows a typical level, this one a 5x5 grid (there are other sizes too, 60 levels in total, although there might be more, I haven't finalised that yet). Anyhow, hope you like it… I also hope SORT 'EM! becomes addictive for some people when it's finished… :D

edited December 2013
    It's coming along very nicely!! However, I'm not actually sure how the game plays. What's the goal in each play session? I want to understand completely so I can enjoy the updates more than I do already! <:-P
  • FallingBoxStudiosFallingBoxStudios Freelance Graphic Designer Member Posts: 822
    edited December 2013
    @gyroscope Thank you so much! :D But the only problem with google is it brings up searches for the font of this.....
    edited December 2013
    @gyroscope Thank you so much! :D But the only problem with google is it brings up searches for the font of this.....
    *pic*
    You're welcome! And I see what you mean… either the Disney ref. or a different style font with the same name… hmm, sorry can't help more really…. I honestly can't remember where I bought/acquired that font from… good luck tracking it down and if I remember/find out more I'll let you know in this thread for sure.
    It's coming along very nicely!! However, I'm not actually sure how the game plays. What's the goal in each play session? I want to understand completely so I can enjoy the updates more than I do already! <:-P </blockquote>
    Cheers, Bray. :-) It's a very straightforward game with just one principle, being to sort words into groups.

There are 60 levels, and these are a mixture of certain grid sizes: 3x3,4x3,4x4,3x5,4x5 and 5x5. So in any level/gridsize, you are presented with a set of mixed-up words… the user has to group them together…. that's it! Eventually I'll do the scoring system… score for each group, bonus scores for completing a level first time, but minus score if you make a mistake in selecting a group. (Ability to play through any played games again too, the score only updating if you beat your previous score).

Here's an example: grid of 3x3:

shark pink boiled
    brown fried whale
    mashed scarlet dolphin

That's obviously an easy one, which the user sorts as: shark whale dolphin & brown, pink, scarlet & mashed, fried, boiled.

Some grids will be a mixture, some will be specifically a subject, Astronomy or Geography, for instance.

Here's an example 5x5 grid (another mixture one):

exhaust pipe pug carnation sapphire rose
    greyhound amethyst cricket battery quartz
    bonnet football tulip emerald engine
    terrier daffodil onyx baseball boxer
    golf tyres beagle chrysanthemum basketball

which the user sorts to 5 groups: FIELD GAMES, PARTS OF A CAR, SEMI-PRECIOUS GEMSTONES, BREEDS OF DOG and TYPES OF FLOWERS

Also the 60 levels, a well as being different grid sizes, are different levels of difficulty, i.e: easy, medium, hard and expert. An expert 5x5 level might be medical anatomy words, for instance.

I'm planning on having "top-ups" eventually which the user can buy via IAP (i.e another 60 levels each time/each upgrade) and some of these will be on specific subjects, 60 levels all on history, for instance. (I also might make a symbols version as well as a numbers version for mathematically-minded users).

Hope I've explained it better now! It's perhaps easier to play than explain… ;-)

@gyroscope - Ah! I see! Very nice idea! Sounds fun! Looking forward to future updates! :bz
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    Nice concept. The relaxing feel of it is good too. :)
    @gyroscope no problem :) Thanks.
    @gyroscope - Ah! I see! Very nice idea! Sounds fun! Looking forward to future updates! :bz
    Cheers, Bray. :-)
    Nice concept. The relaxing feel of it is good too. :)
    Thanks v.much too, Shaz. :-) I'm keeping fingers crossed this'll be addictive for some people… I wait to see.

---------------------
    **bumped progress vid.2 (same as above)**

Progress update: Sorted the menu card out now (slightly different presentation of it) and decided there's going to be 72 levels (not 60). I'm still having problems with the programming of when a user makes a mistake… I must have tried at least 4, if not 5 approaches to this, and none of them seem to work for me, all for different reasons, so I'll keep trying till I succeed...

edited December 2013

Hi, if you've been interested to follow this thread, I've another progress video of my game SORT 'EM! for you.

• I made the decision to have 72 levels in the final game (from 60)

• Updated the main card, still not finished quite yet though, + am adding a button to go to an advert screen showing my other 3 apps

• Bit more work on the level select screen, still not finished either (obvious to see…)

• After 4 or was it 5 different approaches to programming for when a user makes a mistake, every time not working as it should, I realised that every go at it involved changing colours in touch released rules, and these were activated by other actors (bit more detail than that involved, but you get the picture)… it surely is/was a bug, which I've reported… anyhow, I took the change of colour "out of the equation" as they say, and updated all the buttons with the extra "when a mistake is made" rules, so that's all now in place. You'll see in the video I'll make mistakes a couple of times (on purpose ;-) ) so you can see what happens.

• P.S I know the main heading on the level - mixture 3x3 is wrong, cheers! It should be Mixture 5x5 of course.

• Score system to tackle next, as well as finish writing the words in the tables for all 72 grids, as well as IAP to do.

So here's the latest progress video (3rd one) of the word game SORT 'EM! for the iPad which should, hopefully, be in the store mid to late Jan. Hope you like how it's coming on. :-)

I love that menu! Looks very professional!

As always, loving the video updates, Dave! Keep 'em coming!

@Braydon_SFX Cheers as always, Bray. :-) I'll keep the videos coming then! *-:)

• firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    Look great Dave! It reminds me of one of my favo(u)rite British game shows called Only Connect. I love playing the online Flash version.

I do okay at it until the game features famous English soccer players! :-)

Yours seems like a much more approachable version of that game. Which should hopefully appeal to a lot of people!

One thing that really ramps up the difficulty of Only Connect is that words seem like they could easily belong to several groups, but only one grouping works for the solution. Maybe something to try for an expert edition ;-)

Can't wait to play!
    Joe
    edited December 2013

@firemaplegames Hey, Joe, great to hear from you! Long time no hear; I hope all's well - thanks very much too for your encouragement, it means a lot. :-)
    Look great Dave! It reminds me of one of my favo(u)rite British game shows called Only Connect. I love playing the online Flash version.

I do okay at it until the game features famous English soccer players! :-)

Yours seems like a much more approachable version of that game. Which should hopefully appeal to a lot of people!
    Joe
    Now the secret you must keep is: I got the idea from watching Only Connect… drat, I shouldn't have written that down… ;-) I really was going to mention that in the first post of this thread but I had forgotten what the quiz show was called! (Honest!)

I didn't realise there's an online version, I'll have to check it out. :-)

I'm trying/tried to put my own spin on it so it's nice to hear you think it's a more approachable version, thanks. I've programmed it so I only need to update about 5 attributes, fill up a new table and point 25 buttons to it each time for any future versions… I'm hoping it'll be popular so I'm prepared if it is!

One thing that really ramps up the difficulty of Only Connect is that words seem like they could easily belong to several groups, but only one grouping works for the solution. Maybe something to try for an expert edition ;-)

Can't wait to play!
    Joe
    Really good idea, thanks. :-) I do need to make some of the expert levels more "expert" and that's really good advice of another way of doing it. B-)

Cheers, Joe. :-)

edited December 2013

Hello, here's the 4th progress video for my latest app if you'd like to check it out - the puzzle game called SORT 'EM! It'll probably be the last progress video I'm thinking, as it all should be ready for submission in the middle of Jan.

• Still need more work on the Name Card

• Almost finished with the level select card

• Need to update the new level and return buttons with proper graphics

• A few fine adjustments (better transition to next level, for instance)

• Do the scoring system

• Do the IAP stuff

• Finish all the grid copy in the Table

So..not much different from last time… ;-) Well, mainly got the level select card updated, more grid groups in the table, and the colours and patterns sorted (6 patterns and 4 colours making 24 combinations depending on degree of hardness and size of grid).

4th progress vid. of SORT 'EM! puzzle game; hope you like it:

Excellent as always Dave. Really shaping up!
    edited December 2013

@Braydon_SFX

Thanks yet again, Bray. :-) You're persistent encouragement is brill and very much appreciated!

edited December 2013

*** bump *** :P \m/

----vid. same as above (4th progress video of SORT 'EM!)----

• Tiny_IdeasTiny_Ideas Member Posts: 326
    Looking great, its really taking shape. I liked the online version of Only connect so hopefully this will be just as good or better?
    Keep on developing!
    edited December 2013

Thanks as well, @Jeromy, your positive words are appreciated. :-)

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Somehow I missed this thread but I'd like to play this game so... motivation to finish it? ;)

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

edited June 2014

@tatiang

Thank you very much, Tatian - appreciated. :smiley:

Definitely gives me the motivation to finish it; actually, all of the programming is done except the IAP stuff; other than that, I just need to make the rest of the puzzles (just "compose" them on paper) and put them into the Table, then it's ready to fire.

I'll be posting progress again over the next couple of weeks. Here's a wild estimate: finished by end of June, published and in the iTunes store the end of the first week of July... right, better get my skates on...

:smile:

Ohh yeah - Almost forgot about this one! Really want to take a crack at it on my iPad! Love the look of it!