Change scene rules and behaviours not working after restart game

Hi guys,

I have about 5 rules (for different enemy actors) on my main actor. These rules are all the same (when main actor overlaps/collides with actor X) and have the following behaviours:

1. Change scene to Game Over Scene
  2. If game.score > game.highscore {change attribute: game.highscore to game.score; save attribute: game.highscore}

This works fine the first time I play the game. However, if I go from the Game Over scene to Main Menu scene and then play the game again, none of the overlap/collide rules trigger.

Seems strange as I'm not using any attributes for this, so there is nothing to reset when loading the main scene again. It seems like the rule(s) only works once!

How can I make it work every time?

Thanks!

Answers

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

You don't have any other conditions in the rule besides the overlap condition? Is that rule nested inside of any other rule(s)?

What happens when you put a Log Debugging Statement inside of the rule and then watch the Debugger window both the first time you play the game and after restarting? Does the statement appear both times?

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• karlpowerkarlpower Member Posts: 17

Hi tatiang thanks for your response and sorry for slow reply. Hopefully you're still around to help.

I have no other conditions in the rule, and it isn't nested in anything, just sitting there on my main actor.

The debugger shows that the rule is triggering on subsequent plays, but still...the scene doesn't change!

So frustrating!

• karlpowerkarlpower Member Posts: 17

I can get it to work if I place a "Reset Scene" behaviour before the "Change Scene" behaviour. The problem with this is that it flickers a little before changing the scene.

However, it does point to something in the scene that changes when leaving to go to another scene. Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Hmm, I'm not sure. Feel free to .zip the file, upload it to a file-sharing site and send me the download link via private message. I can take a look and see if it's something simple.

It could just be a corrupt scene or corrupt file. You might try rebuilding the scene by first creating a new blank scene and then adding the actors to it.

Also, when notifying someone on the forums, use the '@' symbol before their nickname like @karlpower.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• honeymimi56honeymimi56 Member, PRO Posts: 24

I'm having the same problem. Have you solved your problem?
    Cheers