Spare Code ? Dump It here.

Comments

• MattButlerStudiosMattButlerStudios Member Posts: 486

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    Here is a Fireworks test project I made awhile ago for fun. It's not the most efficient code, and a few of these types of templates exist already. But I do love the effects it gives.

Very natural looking fireworks display. Well done!

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited January 2015

Numeric Keypad

@PRRP asked for a way to keep score for two players using a numeric keypad so I built a little demo. It limits entry to 2 digits and switches turns after each entry.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

Here is a small demo i just made for someone.

It is a random spawner that after 10 seconds it spawns an enemy every 4 to 8 seconds.

The difference here is that i don't use the timer behaviors or spawn and destroy the actors to achieve it. I simply use game salads internal clock, this is a great way to optimize gameplay.

You can change the values as you see fit to achieve the times you want.

Screenshot:

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@Lovejoy said:
    Here is a small demo i just made for someone.

It is a random spawner that after 10 seconds it spawns an enemy every 4 to 8 seconds.

The difference here is that i don't use the timer behaviors or spawn and destroy the actors to achieve it. I simply use game salads internal clock, this is a great way to optimize gameplay.

You can change the values as you see fit to achieve the times you want.

Screenshot:

Very nice and nifty! Thanks for sharing, sir!

edited January 2015

Copy Partial Table

This may have been done before but it keeps coming up as a request so here goes.

This copies a specified number of adjacent rows from one table to another table. The recipient table must be empty (have a single blank row) and have a data type specified that matches the master table. This is set up to work with text cells. Only the contents of column 1 are copied between tables.

I've tested this with small data sets (e.g. 10 rows) and with a single row, where self.startingRow=self.endingRow.

Made with Mac Creator 0.12.10

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880
    edited February 2015

Universal Build Stretch and actors keeping their aspect ratio

I wouldn't be surprised if someone else came up with the same code but this is my go on having actors keeping their aspect ratio when using stretched.
    I am using no extra attributes so the code can be thrown into any actor without further modification. There is a landscape and a portrait line, use accordingly. I added an extra actor as reference actor so you can see how much it stretches without the code inside an actor.

This is how it works for testing:
    In the project info change the Platform to whatever you want and then in the preview choose another platform (choose the same orientation as the project info) and stretch. Then hit the reload button.

Please let me know if it works for you, maybe I made some mistakes. If so I'd like to make it better.

NOTE! I just noticed that the portrait mode was on by default and switched it to landscape and reposted the file. Sorry for that.
    NOTE2! Another bug found. !
    NOTE3! Instead of just working for squares it now also works on non squares. Rotated actors behave wrong. Feel free to implement that ;)

Random Bonus Coin Spawner

This demo spawns a coin with a random table cell value. When clicked, each coin spawns a custom font that displays the value. The value is also added to game.money, which is displayed on-screen.

Note: Made with Mac Creator v0.12.10

edited February 2015

100% FREE Gamesalad Content LearnGS.com

Check out the thread here

• motorcycle boymotorcycle boy Member Posts: 429

@MattButlerStudios very nice, slick looking website. Just make sure you don't have old or out of date tutorials on there.

• LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880
    edited February 2015

This is a half witted attempt to create a slingshot behaviour. It can be a good base but needs polishing.

@dreichelt said:
    MattButlerStudios very nice, slick looking website. Just make sure you don't have old or out of date tutorials on there.

Thank you for the kind words. I pre-screen everything that is uploaded to be sure that there is only good content. I want to make it a large, but quality resource.

edited February 2015

Here is a quick template i just made for a recent thread. It is for anyone looking to make a huge map world without having to make an unnecessary number of scenes. This also work great for optimization.

Every color simulates a new 1024x768 screen when in reality its 256x192. So you're pretty much getting 4096x3072 out of a 1024x768 size image.

So making the scene size to say 2048x1536 and keeping the camera size at 256x192 will give you a 8192x6144 play area.

You can move the character actor with the directional keys so a better view.

You can change the values accordingly to suit your size needs. Just make sure to make your art small enough to be appropriate for whatever scene camera size you choose.

Game file attached.

EDIT: Obviously it would be hard to work on a project this small without a zoom function in gamesalad creator, but this is just showing you the idea and method. Camera size of 512x384 would probably be easier to work with, like i said change the values to suit your needs.

• dlaimdlaim Member Posts: 110

Smooth orbit movement ..

This is @Socks template with some touches :)

@Lovejoy very cool idea! I hadn't thought of using the camera in that way.

edited February 2015

Move to nearest enemy location

Here's a demo that stores enemy actor locations in a table and then moves the hero actor to the closest enemy. It's likely that to use this in an app, you'd need to constrain the table cells to the enemy positions by placing the Change Table Value behavior inside of a Timer.

Note: Made with Mac Creator 0.12.20

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@tatiang said:
    Move to nearest enemy location

Pretty useful for games where you have multiple enemies (homing missiles !)

edited February 2015

Here's a simple page turn thing, might work as a timer or countdown of some type, or maybe just a loading wheel.

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@Socks thats nice. Thanks for sharing.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Socks I have thought about making a storybook/game for little kids, and your page turn would be a great touch. Thank you.

@PhilipCC said:
    Socks I have thought about making a storybook/game for little kids, and your page turn would be a great touch. Thank you.

I want 200% of the profits and my name on the front cover, in gold.

@NipaDidIt said:
    Socks thats nice. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers ! :)

@Socks said:
    I want 200% of the profits and my name on the front cover, in gold.

Okay. Have your lawyer send the contract to my lawyer, gecko666@gmail.com

By the way, the app will be free.

Would you like to buy the advertising space? >:)

edited February 2015

Here's another page turn thing, it's all done with actors (no images) so you should be able to scale it up to whatever size you need, it's a bit thrown together so the code could be tided up.

Although you can't get the page contents to turn with the page, it still looks pretty good when the page contents fade on after the page has turned, and fade off just before the page turns.

GS file attached below.

@Socks that's a very nice effect. :) Probably the best one I've seen.

I stopped reading at page 63. Is there more to the story?

edited February 2015

@tatiang said:

I stopped reading at page 63. Is there more to the story?

The really good stuff kicks off around page 480, that's when Flappy Bird finds out who was behind the attempt to kill him.

@Socks said:
    The really good stuff kicks off around page 480, that's when Flappy Bird finds out who was behind the attempt to kill him.

It was Dong Nguyen! :p

@PhilipCC said:
    It was Dong Nguyen!

If you keep reading you will find out he wasn't the real Dong Nguyen, he was cloned and set up to trick the public.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Here is an EXP/Leveling system for RPG's that auto scales, so each level requires more exp than the previous. It also includes an exp bar/text representation of what each level requires. Great for RPG leveling system.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• Happy Family GamesHappy Family Games Member Posts: 25

@TheMoonwalls said:
    Socks is awesome, LudwigHeijden is awesome, this thread is awesome, GameSalad is awesome - I love everything, and everyone

Somebody besides me has been smoking the magic trees I see!

edited March 2015

Select touch controlled actor

Click on a colored dot to select it. Then use the arrow buttons to move the selected dot left or right.

Note: made with Mac Creator 12.20