Vector Object Support

Hi All:
I've been away from GS for a long time (wow, I think my last post was almost 3 years ago?) and was wondering if GS now has (or has plans to support) vector objects at all. I've been looking/waiting for a long time for some game or app development tool to offer this. Maybe there's another tool out there that does? Thanks in advance for any info.

Comments

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

It doesn't currently support direct use of vector images and I don't believe I've seen it on the roadmap. But it is a nice idea!

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Can you clarify what you mean by vector objects? Do you mean custom collisions? If so, it's being worked on and will be introduced in a future release. It's been asked for many times and it's good to see it finally coming.

• netdzynrnetdzynr Member Posts: 296

Hi Braydon_SFX, what I mean by vector objects is objects defined by sets of points, as opposed to bitmapped images. Primitive vectors are rectangles, rounded rectangles, circles, and polygons, and these objects are resolution independent. Typically you have control over the color of the fill and stroke (line) weight of the object.

Anything like these in GS now? Or plans to support in the near future?

@netdzynr said:
    Hi Braydon_SFX, what I mean by vector objects is objects defined by sets of points, as opposed to bitmapped images. Primitive vectors are rectangles, rounded rectangles, circles, and polygons, and these objects are resolution independent. Typically you have control over the color of the fill and stroke (line) weight of the object.

Anything like these in GS now? Or plans to support in the near future?

Understood. Thanks for clarifying. Unfortunately, no. This is not in gameSalad at this time and I'm not sure if it's on the Roadmap. However, you can submit a feature request.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@netdzynr said:
    Hi All:
    I've been away from GS for a long time (wow, I think my last post was almost 3 years ago?) and was wondering if GS now has (or has plans to support) vector objects at all. I've been looking/waiting for a long time for some game or app development tool to offer this. Maybe there's another tool out there that does? Thanks in advance for any info.

I suspect GameSalad will support vector images (to some limited extent) in the future - custom fonts are on the roadmap, and implementing custom fonts means we would be able to generate our own fonts (which are vector based) and use these to 'smuggle' in scalable vector images - although they would be monotone - and ultimately would need to be rasterized by the device . . .

Thanks Socks. Custom fonts could work (icon fonts are a perfect example). But I should have mentioned SVG earlier -- this has become the ubiquitous standard for most vector art. GS would do well to support display of this type of object, which is much more efficient and much less heavy than bitmap images. Of course some effects are more suited to bitmaps, but it would be great if GS supported both types of objects.

edited February 2015

Feature request done!

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=788

I'll be back in about a year when SVG support is completed. :smiley:

@netdzynr said:
    Feature request done!
    I'll be back in about a year when SVG support is completed. :smiley:

Hopefully it won't be that long! See you soon!

Also, maybe you could post the link to the feature request here so others can vote on it. The more people who vote the quicker it'll be picked up and worked on.

@Braydon_SFX said:
    Also, maybe you could post the link to the feature request here so others can vote on it. The more people who vote the quicker it'll be picked up and worked on.

Thanks for the suggestion. Edited my original post, and I'll toss the link out here for good measure:

SVG Support
    http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=788

I would imagine that most of the Illustrator artists in the community would appreciate the addition, but beyond that, it's probably a pipe dream.

Anyway, fingers crossed. :smiley:

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited February 2015

@netdzynr said:
    Thanks Socks. Custom fonts could work (icon fonts are a perfect example). But I should have mentioned SVG earlier -- this has become the ubiquitous standard for most vector art. GS would do well to support display of this type of object, which is much more efficient and much less heavy than bitmap images.

A vector image's memory footprint on disk would be smaller (much smaller) than a bitmap, but once in RAM there would be no real advantage memory-wise as you'd still have to rasterize the vectors to be able to display them, in fact I imagine they would be slower than bitmap images when it comes to loading into RAM as they would first have to be rasterized.

edited July 2017

I don't know if adding a comment here will bump this out, but I'll take a stab at it. I'm downloading the latest Creator, but 2-1/2 years later after my original question, has there been any movement on the vector support front? The title I want to build would benefit substantially from being able to dynamically modify scale/colorize/affect vector objects. Creating all assets in image form is seriously inefficient and will likely require the generation of near 1000 assets or more to handle different object states, sizes, etc. Fingers crossed that GameSalad has some option here. Thanks for any response... :-)

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Unfortunately, no. Don't hold your breath for it, I'd say, with GameSalad's new direction.