Free Version

What are the "setbacks" of the free version vs pro? Back when I was pro, there was the game salad splashscreen after publishing. what is it now? Thanks

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

• RabidParrotRabidParrot Formally RabidParrot. Member Posts: 956
  • tylerglessnertylerglessner Member Posts: 246

what are the mandatory ads? the GS logo still or something else?

• scottharrrules43scottharrrules43 Tulsa, OklahomaMember, PRO Posts: 694

You need pro to turn that off.

• gamestudentgamestudent Member Posts: 504

Mandatory ads are advertisments that GS insets automatically, for which you don't get paid.

• RabidParrotRabidParrot Formally RabidParrot. Member Posts: 956
    edited March 2015

@tylerglessner

The mandatory ads are advertisements that Gamesalad will place in your game. Gamesalad will earn all the revenue through these ads. This is a small price-to-pay for this awesome software.

• SoccerboystlSoccerboystl Member Posts: 1

I'm very butthurt that there isn't a free version anymore. Game Salad gave us something really nice. Then in one fell update, took it all away for money. Why... Why does greed ruin everything...

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

@Soccerboystl said:
    I'm very butthurt that there isn't a free version anymore. Game Salad gave us something really nice. Then in one fell update, took it all away for money. Why... Why does greed ruin everything...

You can call it greed or you can call it making a living. Everything's relative. Free doesn't pay the bills or keep a company in business. I miss the free version as much as anyone else but I do understand the reasoning behind ditching it.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

@Soccerboystl said:

Unless you were never planning on making any money from your game that's a pretty weird argument.

I'd rather pay and keep the software alive (and know the developers can put food on their table) than see it disappear.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Soccerboystl said:

I hate to point out the obvious, but 'greed' is defined as a selfish desire for something . . . wanting people to work full-time, without pay, to meet your desire for free software, certainly fits the definition of 'greed' in that it's very selfish to want others to work for you for nothing.

I would't say your greed ruins everything, I'd just say you've not given this a lot of thought.