Is there a maximum number of row in table?

stefdelecstefdelec Member, PRO Posts: 146
edited April 2015 in Working with GS (Mac)

Hi,

I am trying to import csv files with one column and 360 000 rows. GS is crashing each time I try. Is there a maximum row? Should I try to divided it in several column?

Tks,

Stéphane

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

GS typically crashes when trying to import ANY csv, so it might not be to do with the table size.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited April 2015

@Armelline said:
    GS typically crashes when trying to import ANY csv, so it might not be to do with the table size.

I've actually only had this problem once and I import csv files on a regular basis. I'll have over 8k (on occasion close to 100k) rows and it imports just fine. I'm using the latest stable build for Mac and running Mavericks.

I don't know if I've ever imported over 100k rows, but it does take a few minutes for GameSalad to import it. I've had to wait close to 15 minutes to get a 100k row csv file imported. It could be that 300k+ is too much, @stefdelec

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

@Braydon_SFX said:
    I don't know if I've ever imported over 100k rows, but it does take a few minutes for GameSalad to import it. I've had to wait close to 15 minutes to get a 100k row csv file imported. It could be that 300k+ is too much, stefdelec

You're lucky :( I work with tables a lot and 9/10 times it crashes when I try to import a csv.

@Armelline said:
    You're lucky :( I work with tables a lot and 9/10 times it crashes when I try to import a csv.

It's the bowlboy powers. Maybe I can rub some off on you.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

I'm always curious when someone says they are using 400 attributes or 75 rules in a single actor or 360,000 table rows. What kind of data do you have in them? Are you building terrain, for example? Might there be a way to simplify the data or use mathematical expressions to auto-generate it on the fly?

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

@tatiang said:
    I'm always curious when someone says they are using 400 attributes or 75 rules in a single actor or 360,000 table rows. What kind of data do you have in them? Are you building terrain, for example? Might there be a way to simplify the data or use mathematical expressions to auto-generate it on the fly?

I've had a 280k word dictionary before. :P

• stefdelecstefdelec Member, PRO Posts: 146

Tks all for answering.

Same here: I want a full dictionary!

I try again and wait for 30min then!

• fadamionfadamion Member, PRO Posts: 309

I have noticed that illegal characters in the file will crash it also import as no type then change type after importing.

What is illegal character? If you mean é à...etc, actually you can import this kind of character by saving the csv in utf-08. (Hope you understood what I said).

Yep, a common cause of import problems is invalid characters.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

Then how to check/know what are the illegal character?

@stefdelec I forget exactly but I think accents and symbols and things like the "..." character can throw off the import.

When I've had this problem, I've broken my csv file up into chunks and imported each chunk until I find the problem. That helps me narrow down where I have an invalid character. For example, if you imported the first 10 rows of your csv, does that work? What about the first 1,000 rows? First 10,000?

• coupons.valcoupons.val Member, PRO Posts: 5

I'm working on a Windows machine and am having the same problem trying to do the same thing. How do I even know if it's working on importing the CSV file? After I select the file and click open, it doesn't do anything. Should there be a progress bar or spinning wheel or something to let me know it's at least trying to import it?

@coupons.val said:
    I'm working on a Windows machine and am having the same problem trying to do the same thing. How do I even know if it's working on importing the CSV file? After I select the file and click open, it doesn't do anything. Should there be a progress bar or spinning wheel or something to let me know it's at least trying to import it?

I'm not sure about the progress indicator as I use the Mac version but I would try what I suggested right above... importing a few rows to make sure that works first and then increase as you go. It's not a solution but will at least tell you if Creator is importing properly and also might help narrow down a problem area such as an improper character.