Windows Creator RC 0.13.2 is available

stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435
edited April 2015 in GameSalad Kitchen

Windows Creator Release Candidate build 0.13.2 is available

It is highly recommended that you uninstall any versions earlier than 0.13.1 of the Windows Creator Nightly before installing the new one.

Features

• Fixed certain string/font combinations causing Display Text to crash in native preview.
  • To match Mac Creator, you now must log in to use Windows Creator. To make this process easier, you have the option of having Windows Creator remember your password to auto-login when you start it. Also, once you have successfully logged in, if you can't connect to the internet for some reason in later sessions, you will be able to use Windows Creator for 7 days before being required to log in again.

Android Viewer over usb support
In order to use the Android Viewer over usb, you will need to install the Android SDK (found here). You will then need to tell Creator where to find the adb.exe program (under platform-tools of the SDK), which you can set in the preferences dialog.

Native Preview
We have temporarily disabled the OpenGL version check for native preview. If you run native preview and it crashes, please send us the result of the dxdiag program. This will help us support as many graphics cards as we can.

Known Issues

• While the Show Ad behavior still exists, it has been deprecated in favor of the Show Banner behavior, and will be removed in a future release. If you use Show Ad in your project, please change the behavior to Show Banner.
  • There is a known bug where if you use the new native previewer, and then try to use the old web previewer, Windows Creator may crash. Please shut down Creator and restart if you want to switch between the previewers.
  • While the joystick attributes can be used in your project, joysticks are not yet implemented in native or web preview. However, you can test joysticks by previewing on the viewers.
  • Network commands not currently supported.
  • The Windows version of adb.exe can lock up. If you try to use the Android Viewer over usb, and both Windows Creator and the Viewer appear to have locked up, try restarting your computer. If you still cannot use the Viewer, contact our tech support. Unfortunately this is not something we have control over.
  • If you open a project with File->Open after starting up Windows Creator instead of File->Open Recent, and try to preview, Creator may crash. For some reason the Open File dialog appears to cause the crash on some, but not all, machines.
  • Native preview on Vista machines will crash Windows Creator.

Report Any Bugs
If you find bugs in the build, let us know! We'll be watching the forums, support tickets and bug database for info on this.

Thanks for your help!

Download the the build here:

http://gamesalad.com/download/releases

Scroll down until you see "Releases for Windows (Offline Setup)"

Comments

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

Nice @stevej!

@stevej said:

• Native preview on Vista machines will crash Windows Creator.

Had to try on my old Vista Home Premium machine. Tried a number of projects and seems to work fine for me, the native Preview really running VERY well compared to the WebPreview.

• wcsd9739wcsd9739 Member Posts: 37

I haven't had a chance to test 13.2 yet, but the Android viewer in 13.1 is working like a dream! However, it doesn't seem to support multiple touches. Are other people having this problem, or is it just my scripting?

• dsgnronedsgnrone Member Posts: 10

Installed today, on opening project with multiple tables, named tables were there but were empty.

Windows 7

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435

@Hopscotch said:
    Nice stevej!

Had to try on my old Vista Home Premium machine. Tried a number of projects and seems to work fine for me, the native Preview really running VERY well compared to the WebPreview.

Interesting. Maybe it only crashes on certain versions/patch levels of Vista.

@dsgnrone said:
    Installed today, on opening project with multiple tables, named tables were there but were empty.

Windows 7

If you could please submit a bug report about this at bugs.gamesalad.com, and attach your project, it would help us out.

• ookami007ookami007 Member Posts: 581

@dsgnrone said:

Windows 7

Same issue.

I re-created the table and that part of it works... but it's not saving the table when I make changes.

edited April 2015

Getting an error when trying to sign the APK as well... plus, it's not finding zipalign, or at least, doesn't save where it found it.

jar signed.

Warning:
    No -tsa or -tsacert is provided and this jar is not timestamped. Without a timestamp, users may not be able to validate this jar after the signer certificate's expiration date (2045-05-21) or after any future revocation date.

@ookami007 said:
    I re-created the table and that part of it works... but it's not saving the table when I make changes.

I've tested table save/load and have not had any problems. If you could submit a bug report with steps to reproduce the error you're seeing, and attach any relevant projects, that would help us track down the issue.

@ookami007 said:
    Getting an error when trying to sign the APK as well... plus, it's not finding zipalign, or at least, doesn't save where it found it.

jar signed.

Warning:
    No -tsa or -tsacert is provided and this jar is not timestamped. Without a timestamp, users may not be able to validate this jar after the signer certificate's expiration date (2045-05-21) or after any future revocation date.

Can't get rid of the error and APKs (with the tmp.apk extension) generated will not load on my android device.

Unusable.

@ookami007 said:

FYI - This WORKS in the Release version. So there is something wrong with RC. Everything else... all versions of java and android sdk are the same.

• zolnier@hotmail.comzolnier@hotmail.com Member, PRO Posts: 25

@stevej said:
    I've tested table save/load and have not had any problems. If you could submit a bug report with steps to reproduce the error you're seeing, and attach any relevant projects, that would help us track down the issue.

I reported a similar issue on the earlier "nightly" release of the Windows creator. Please check the table bug report that I submitted previously, because I'm having the same issue with tables as stevej is having with this release. Tables don't show in the web preview at all - empty!

These ongoing table issues need to be fixed before the release or this is going to be disastrous for us Windows developers!

@zolnier@hotmail.com said:
    I reported a similar issue on the earlier "nightly" release of the Windows creator. Please check the table bug report that I submitted previously, because I'm having the same issue with tables as stevej is having with this release. Tables don't show in the web preview at all - empty!

These ongoing table issues need to be fixed before the release or this is going to be disastrous for us Windows developers!

Table data doesn't show up in the table editor when you load the project, or Display Text doesn't show table data in web preview? If the latter, does Display Text show table data in native preview?

@ookami007 said:
    FYI - This WORKS in the Release version. So there is something wrong with RC. Everything else... all versions of java and android sdk are the same.

Odd, absolutely nothing's changed with the publishing flow code. What version of Java are you using? I've heard there's "issues" signing apps with the more recent versions of Java.

• SummationSummation Member, PRO Posts: 476
    edited April 2015

@stevej said:
    Odd, absolutely nothing's changed with the publishing flow code. What version of Java are you using? I've heard there's "issues" signing apps with the more recent versions of Java.

@stevej I'm using windows creator 13.1 and I was unable to sign my app with the latest Java SDK (8.something).

Tatiang was kind enough to link me to an older Java SDK and that worked.

I should mention that I believe the Java I'm using now is like 6.3 because 6.5 was archived and you needed to create an oracle account to be able to download it, but not 6.3 apparently.

Of course, the point is irrelevant because I should be able to sign the app with the latest version. But it still got done, so I'm not complaining! o:)

@Summation said:
    Of course, the point is irrelevant because I should be able to sign the app with the latest version. But it still got done, so I'm not complaining! o:)

Unfortunately the problem signing with newer versions of Java is between Google and Oracle, it's not something we can control.

• SummationSummation Member, PRO Posts: 476

@stevej said:
    Unfortunately the problem signing with newer versions of Java is between Google and Oracle, it's not something we can control.

Oh, good to know!

• RevenantueRevenantue Member Posts: 2

For some reason this breaks everything for me. My instanced bullets no longer work predictably (they sometimes rescale, sometimes won't move, sometimes will do as they're supposed) and my main player's rules are completely ignored 70% of the time (move to the position of the mouse and rotate towards the cursor).

This release is completely unusable for me.

@Revenantue said:
    For some reason this breaks everything for me. My instanced bullets no longer work predictably (they sometimes rescale, sometimes won't move, sometimes will do as they're supposed) and my main player's rules are completely ignored 70% of the time (move to the position of the mouse and rotate towards the cursor).

This release is completely unusable for me.

There's a known issue with spawning actors not behaving correctly in native preview that's being fixed. You might try web preview in the meantime. What was the last version that worked for you?

• RevenantueRevenantue Member Posts: 2

@stevej said:
    There's a known issue with spawning actors not behaving correctly in native preview that's being fixed. You might try web preview in the meantime. What was the last version that worked for you?

I was using 0.10.5 before this one. Actually I just reverted back.

• FrantoFranto Member Posts: 779

Web preview has proven to be quite awesome. The only "drawback" is that if your game is big, it will leave large folders in temp when testing. No problem at all though, just delete temp when you are done testing. I'm not sure if the folder is for every preview session, or every creator session though.

Anyway, I'm very impressed by 0.13.2 performance and stability.

• myke66myke66 Member Posts: 74

I have a ball and peg type app I have been creating and on the RC, when the ball hits a peg, the peg shrinks and fades out as intended, but the ball sticks to the peg until it disappears then it bounces away, in the old version it bounces off correctly.

@myke66 said:
    I have a ball and peg type app I have been creating and on the RC, when the ball hits a peg, the peg shrinks and fades out as intended, but the ball sticks to the peg until it disappears then it bounces away, in the old version it bounces off correctly.

This may have to do with a bug involving spawned actors not getting updates when attributes change. That's been fixed, we're hoping to get a new RC out with it this week or next.

• safransafran Member Posts: 32

The table bugs are still there. I have to recreate tables and rows, afterwards copy the tables from a backup copy to the table folder. I checked the bug tracker, the Bug 905's status is unconfirmed. Please check again.

• DirtyWater3000DirtyWater3000 Member, PRO Posts: 2

When is the next stable release coming.

@DirtyWater3000 said:
    When is the next stable release coming.

The bug count for 0.13 currently stands at 10. Generally it takes a half a day to a day to track down and fix a bug, although sometimes it can take up to an entire week or more for particularly nasty ones. But those are rare.

@safran said:
    The table bugs are still there. I have to recreate tables and rows, afterwards copy the tables from a backup copy to the table folder. I checked the bug tracker, the Bug 905's status is unconfirmed. Please check again.

We've tracked down the bug, and it looks like the row and/or column names aren't being copied correctly with the table data. It's on the schedule to be fixed with the final 0.13 release. If you're pressed for time, you can get around the issue by referring to table rows and columns by their index instead of name.

• safransafran Member Posts: 32

It's ok @stevej I already managed to find a temporary solution.