You asked for it, you got it! GameSalad now offers convenient monthly billing!

Comments

• GameLabs222GameLabs222 Member Posts: 197

While I would really love to just be able to pay to own software, and pay a small upgrade fee for major updates, I know most companies are moving towards subscriptions. But I suppose I can't complain about a dollar a day.

Good form GS team.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@ralphbugs said:
    I see. May I know what happens if during the minimum monthly subscription my card
    being cancelled or there's no more money in the bank? The subscription will be
    terminated and then I don't have to pay the rest of the months?

The world doesn't work that way. You commit yourself to 12 months of payments. You would still owe whatever amount is still due, perhaps late fees and extra charges as well.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• SummationSummation Member, PRO Posts: 476

@Lovejoy said:
    The world doesn't work that way. You commit yourself to 12 months of payments. You would still owe whatever amount is still due, perhaps late fees and extra charges as well.

I would think the enforceability of GameSalad's Terms of Service would depend somewhat on the country of origin of the subscriber?

I'm not sure that GameSalad's current terms of service mention anything about delinquent accounts being sent to collections and if so, how collections work in other countries. (from ToS):

1. Fees

You must have an Account to use the Services. You can sign up for a free membership Account to access and use the basic version of the Services or any other Free Services, but to access and use the Fee-Based Services, you must pay GameSalad’s then-current applicable fees for the Fee-Based Service you are purchasing (e.g. an annual subscription fee or one-time fee). Payments will be charged to your Account on the date on which the relevant Fee-Based Service is first made available to you (“Activation Date”). Thereafter, for subscription fees, on each anniversary of the Activation Date, your subscription will automatically renew and your Account will be charged for the then-current annual subscription fee, unless you cancel your subscription to the relevant Fee-Based Service before the upcoming anniversary of the Activation Date. Except as expressly stated by GameSalad in these Terms, all fees paid or owed by you are non-refundable.

You agree to pay all fees charged to your Account based on GameSalad’s fees, charges, and billing terms then in effect as shown on the payment page of the Site. If you have a balance due on any Account, you agree that GameSalad may, and you hereby authorize GameSalad to, charge such unpaid fees to your PayPal account, or such other payment method accepted by GameSalad, or otherwise bill you for such unpaid fees or other applicable charges. If you do not pay any amount due on time, or if GameSalad cannot charge your PayPal account or other payment method for any reason, GameSalad, in addition to any other rights or remedies it may have, reserves the right to either immediately suspend or terminate your access to all or a portion of the Site and/or Services. All payments to your Account must be made from a source for which you are the named account holder. GameSalad is not liable for any loss caused by any unauthorized use of your PayPal account, or any other method of payment by a third party in connection with your use of the Site or Services, or the use of your Account. GameSalad reserves the right to change its fees and billing methods at any time; any changes to the fees or billing methods will be posted on the Site or through the Services. Your continued use of the Services after the changes have taken effect means that you accept such changes. You are responsible for paying any taxes that may apply, or relate to, your use of the Services (including, without limitation, any income or other taxes payable by you if you sell Executable Packages developed using the Services), in addition to the fees or other applicable charges due under these Terms.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

I don't believe it. GS offers something advantageous to some members and already others are complaining. Sheesh!

• CobraBladeCobraBlade Member Posts: 97

Hopefully next, a lifetime membership will be made available. Pay big now, and have Pro features for life... Hey a guy can dream, right?

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

This is a good move by GS...hey...it's cheaper than a mobile phone bill by leaps and bounds !

Good show GS !

@Thunder_Child said:
    This is a good move by GS...hey...it's cheaper than a mobile phone bill by leaps and bounds !

Good show GS !

TextNow phone plans are cheaper. $26.99/month for unlimited text, 1GB data and 1250 rollover minutes.

• EpicoreGamesEpicoreGames Member Posts: 188

If after 1 month the game salad pro subscription has expired , does my game that was uploaded to app store still able to show ads or use other pro features that have been added before it expired?

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692

Whats stopping you paying for 1 month then cancelling your subscription? Easy to cancel with Paypal if thats one of the payment methods.

The GS staff comes out with a more affordable way to go PRO and already people thinking about ways to cheat the system...

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692

@Lovejoy said:
    The GS staff comes out with a more affordable way to go PRO and already people thinking about ways to cheat the system…

Yes that life I'm afraid, we run several ecommerce businesses and you'd be surprised what lengths some people go to, i just hope GS has the old "cancel subscription" covered.

@DeepBlueApps said:
    Yes that life I'm afraid, we run several ecommerce businesses and you'd be surprised what lengths some people go to, i just hope GS has the old "cancel subscription" covered.

From the terms:

"After 12 months, the subscription renews on a monthly basis when your payment method on file is charged."

The cheating the system dilemma can be solved if GS simply charges on a true month to month basis, taking payment up front for one full month, then repeating (like Netflix, for example).

Apparently, the system does have the capability of charging customers month-to-month, as the quote from the terms describes.

It's just a matter of how the GS team chooses to move forward with their business strategy.

• ralphbugsralphbugs Member Posts: 39

@Lovejoy said:
    The GS staff comes out with a more affordable way to go PRO and already people thinking about ways to cheat the system...

I would prefer if they implement monthly subscription without minimum subscription period. At least if they can make 3 months instead the whole year subscription. It's like "Hey, we got 'monthly' subscription here but its wiser if you take the annual plan coz its all the same".

I'm not a full time developer, more like a hobbyist. Still did not making any profit. I was a Pro user before so I know it has a lot of advantages. Whenever I got free time, I play with GS. So, forking out $29/m is not something I can do regularly.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

I would imagine if you cut and run, any future attempts at monthly billing could be denied.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@Lovejoy said:

Well, more affordable...it breaks the payments into parts, so it's more manageable, but in the end is more expensive, so definitely not more affordable, due to the 12-month minimum subscription period.

It's great to have this option, no doubt, if you cannot manage a one-off $299 payment, but let's be clear that this is primarily a business decision on GameSalad's part.

I wouldn't be too afraid of cut and run -- as @jonmulcahy mentions, if you ever want to come back, doing something like that is stupid, you burn your bridges and GameSalad might refuse you further PRO until you pay everything back.

• yattamoveyattamove Member Posts: 236
    edited April 2015

My subscription is about to end and thinking hard if I should renew. Then I've read about this and got excited!

But then that's until I've read the fine print. :#

I do this as a hobby like everybody does, and paying just when there's time to do creative stuff is reasonable. I thought I could pay this month for PRO (considering I have the time to "waste" on my hobby), then on busier months, I could opt out, etc.. etc.. I guess this scheme is rather disappointing. To me at least.

But I've read the thing over and over. It says that when you are an old subscriber and will be renewing anytime soon, you could renew on a monthly basis. Did I read it right? Does it mean I could renew this month, then when I get busy next month, I could opt out? Then I can renew again on the months I wanted? That would be most convenient for me. If that is the case, it is a no-brainer for me to renew.

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934

The way I read it it's basically like a cell phone contract. If you cancel early you still owe the remaining months. Or their might be a termination fee built in somewhere.

As far as the cut and run I would expect the account to be suspended completely. Even from free use.

@pHghost this is actually considered more affordable for some because $299 is out of reach in one sitting for some people. Yet they can "afford" $29 each month. One could argue that if they saved that $29 they can afford each month while building their game they would actually be able to afford the yearly price. Sadly most people are not disciplined enough to just smart that money aside and not spend it.

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934

@yattamove no I would expect that once you skip a month you have to start over with a yearly commitment.

If your yearly rental is up yiu would have essentially satisfied your first years commitment so they will let you continue to run month to month without a commitment of 12 more months.

• tylerglessnertylerglessner Member Posts: 246

Sorry if its already been asked, but I was a Pro member up until about a year ago, would I still have to buy the minumum 12 month monthly subscription or would I be able to jump straight in to month to month

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

ok so I pay first 12 months back to back. Now Im on my 13th month. It now costs 29.99 per month. No more yearly requirement. I can now pay 29.99 a month. I pay for 13th then 14th then 15th then 16th. Now I decide Im gonna walk away from GS for a few months. So I come back a few months later. I decide I only want to use GS for another month. SO I pay another 29.99. Then I decide Im gonna walk away again. Then come back a few months later. Is this the way it will work. Or the moment i decide to skip a month or so of paying 29.99. Does that mean when I come back. I have to commit to another 12 months, before I can start the 29.99 again. Can I come and go... Or Am i forced to stay commited monthly?

@tylerglessner said:
    Sorry if its already been asked, but I was a Pro member up until about a year ago, would I still have to buy the minumum 12 month monthly subscription or would I be able to jump straight in to month to month

A answer to this question would nice to have as well.

• LoadedLoaded Member Posts: 240

Great work, I too would prefer a month-to-month with opt out at any time (even if it was more expensive). But beggars can't be chosers.

Website » Twitter » Facebook » Loaded Arts - Fun for thumbs.

Developer Blog » 08/01/2015 - Week 72 – Apple, the great dictator…

• SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870

Okay, I get it now. No, you will not be able to go month to month for 3 months and then quit for 2 or 3 months, and then go again. It's an either/or situation. Either you pay $300 up front for a year, or you still commit to a year, but make the payments monthly.

"Skipping out" on a contract like this will affect your credit rating. And by affect, I mean completely ruin.

@FINNBOGG said:
    ok so I pay first 12 months back to back. Now Im on my 13th month. It now costs 29.99 per month. No more yearly requirement. I can now pay 29.99 a month. I pay for 13th then 14th then 15th then 16th. Now I decide Im gonna walk away from GS for a few months. So I come back a few months later. I decide I only want to use GS for another month. SO I pay another 29.99. Then I decide Im gonna walk away again. Then come back a few months later. Is this the way it will work. Or the moment i decide to skip a month or so of paying 29.99. Does that mean when I come back. I have to commit to another 12 months, before I can start the 29.99 again. Can I come and go... Or Am i forced to stay commited monthly?

Think of it as a cell phone or TV contract. You can go month to month as long as you want. Once you cancel your account that contract is terminated. If you want to resign up, your starting fresh.

@SlickZero said:

"Skipping out" on a contract like this will affect your credit rating. And by affect, I mean completely ruin.

I wouldn't use the word "ruin" (at least not with people who don't realize you're exaggerating...)

http://www.usa.gov/topics/money/credit/credit-reports/bureaus-scoring.shtml

• CobraBladeCobraBlade Member Posts: 97

This is certainly a good idea though... Can't help but wish that Pro was still a bit more affordable though. $299 becomes closer to $400 for Ozzies.

Ok so this wasnt created to be a " use as you need" system. This is a " we understand you cant pay 300$ right up front, so we will accept the yearly subscription in 12 installments. But at a a slightly higher cost.

299/12 vs 29.99x12

299/12 being the better deal.

@FINNBOGG said:
    Ok so this wasnt created to be a " use as you need" system. This is a " we understand you cant pay 300$ right up front, so we will accept the yearly subscription in 12 installments. But at a a slightly higher cost.

299/12 vs 29.99x12

299/12 being the better deal.

yea, pretty typical. I use crashplan for backups, I got 4 years for $189, where if i paid the $5.99 a month bill it would cost me 287. I also have a similar plan with my webhost. I pay every quarter instead of every month, saves me about $5 a month.

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634

The "Time Value of Money" concept says that money is worth more now than in the future. Paying GS $299 now is not equivalent to paying $299 over 12 months; they would earn less money with the latter. However, the payment plan alternative is good for both parties, as the purchaser gets to pay in installments, thus freeing cash flow, while the seller does not lose monetary value in the offer. It's a win-win.

@mhedges said:
    The "Time Value of Money" concept says that money is worth more now than in the future. Paying GS $299 now is not equivalent to paying $299 over 12 months; they would earn less money with the latter. However, the payment plan alternative is good for both parties, as the purchaser gets to pay in installments, thus freeing cash flow, while the seller does not lose monetary value in the offer. It's a win-win.

very good explanation