IMPORTANT MARKETPLACE NOTICE

Comments

• ogreofwartogreofwart Hello Everybody on the Gamesalad Planet. I come in peace, warts'n'all!!! Lancashire UKMember Posts: 281

@PhilipCC : I think they are commenting on my remark about future file format submission earlier on in this thread :)

• ogreofwartogreofwart Hello Everybody on the Gamesalad Planet. I come in peace, warts'n'all!!! Lancashire UKMember Posts: 281

Looking forward to the new Salad Bar( all you can eat for $10/£6.60).
    Love to Beta test if possible.
    Pretty please, I've been a very good and patient Ogre waiting all this time o:)

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited January 2015

@GameSalad@skeggie.co.uk said:
    Can't see it myself as PNG is a de-fecto standard file type

@ogreofwart. In several threads, and at the Meetups, it has been confirmed that 24 bit and 32 bit PNGs will be required file format.

It is also worth mentioning that for those of you who have a Mac, you already have the app Preview.

Preview can open and manipulate over 28 file formats, many of which can ben converted to PNGs. When you choose Export hold down the Option key and all the file format options will be revealed. If the original is a vector-based logo or illustration the vectors will be retained, so you can resize without loss of quality.

The list is too long to post here, so I put it in a separate thread so others may find it too: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/76342/convert-graphics-to-png-on-mac-with-preview?new=1

Thanks for that info, its good to know were not all constricted to one particular format for our game usage.
    I myself use Windows but can bear this knowledge in mind in the future.
    I am now just looking forward to seeing the new Marketplace and us all being bigger and better.
    The new Graphene project is also very intriguing and I will be looking forward to seeing what that will do too.

• LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880

Any news on this because the Market place is dead as can be at the moment. :(

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

Yep. Lots of money going other places right now.

• LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880

I better upload my stuff there then ;)

• RPRP Member Posts: 1,990

Blip... waits for reboot.

This is odd!!
    I got an email about an hour ago saying I that uploading onto the Marketplace has stopped.
    This as far as I know has been the case since December.
    Is it an incredibly slow notification or does it mean somethings happening with MarKet II ?
    Has anybody else had this message?

• ArcadeDreamArcadeDream Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2015

The upload process is the biggest problem I think. It takes way to much time and it's just painful uploading to the marketplace. I hope you guys took feedback from sellers. Also finding what your looking for can be difficult. If you guys fix these problems I think the marketplace will thrive.

• RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    edited February 2015

Previously they announced that they were not taking new Market Place members. Now they are not currently taking market place member submissions. It's on hold for everyone.

I think the latest email is a tell-tale sign that we are about to see an update. That being said, I hope the update planning was well in progress before the announcement. Nothing I dislike more than a "please stand by" update that takes months. We bust out system wide major site updates each week (tied to a huge live database tied to audio, video, billings, the works). Not using that as a way to belittle GS, but somethings are taking so long it is making my head hurt.

We will just have to be patient @RP the powers that be know best.
    Calm yourself now, and take one of those special tiny pills the doctor gave you. Stop Growling!!
    Yeah I think things might be moving too, lets hope its soon, my fingers are itching to get some more artwork up for grabs ;)

• bernardoespanolbernardoespanol Member Posts: 6

I'm here again with money trying to look though the marketplace.
    Please ban sellers who abuse the tag system. (LIving in the Cloud LLC im looking at you)
    Please put in a better tag system. I say look at the GameMaker Market Place and do better.
    2d tags, Animated tags, 3d, topdown, etc, etc....

Please please junk the sloppy stuff thats filling this marketplace up. There is good, decent and sloppy spam. The Marketplace would do well to lose the fluff.

I'll be back in a few weeks if I don't find anything (get sick of looking) tonight.

• kganczakkganczak Member, PRO Posts: 18

Looking forward to this feature as well...

• RiveraonlineRiveraonline Member Posts: 54

Any set date for the new marketplace to be back up,i have so much great art assets to post!!

• sbuccisbucci Member Posts: 4

Any update is appreciated. I would like to start selling assets.

edited April 2015

@sbucci

According to "The State of the GameSalad"....here is number 7

"New marketplace. Nothing new to report here. Work is still being done on this front and I'll let you guys know when I hear more!"

• jorkosjorkos Member, PRO Posts: 353

Dear GS....market place has been down for months now....any progress? There has been no real updates on this for so long.....please help us. Thanks

• bluewindybluewindy Member Posts: 13

hmmm...........................

• vr55vr55 Member Posts: 2

Nothing new. Very sad((

It's strange the MP couldn't have been going on as usual...I mean it's still up and running so it's not like it's shut down to be making changes to it. I would think they would be giving us ideas on how the new MP will function or maybe there is no plan other than to just shut it down and reboot. Which would not entirely be a bad thing there is way to much stuff in there that appear to be assets for the sake of the seller.

I'd personally like to see something similar to the enveto market. Now that's a real marketplace. Ratings...categories...new release by dates. It's not like a burst balloon on a floor. Lol.

Look forward to it cuz with no 3rd party advertising allowed unless you know...you don't know.

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    edited May 2015

Hope its got all the bells and whistles and is going to be worth the wait because we made DBM in a day :P

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@DeepBlueApps said:
    Hope its got all the bells and whistles and is going to be worth the wait because we made DBM in a day :P

For you :cookie:

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692

@Lovejoy that will go nice with my cup of coffee i just made :)

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@DeepBlueApps said:

Yep, it's taking an phenomenal amount of time !? If you go far back as early September 2014 the message is 'New marketplace. Great progress still being made here' - and that was 8 months ago !! I'm sure the Marketplace might be a little more complex to set up than some other websites, but I can't see how it could take a year !

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    edited May 2015

Maybe the drawn out delay of the new marketplace is nothing to do with an actual code implementation... Maybe it's that ugly old GS issue of internal company politics holding it up. Maybe Mr Felter can't decide, chose a half arsed system or keeps changing his mind on which marketplace model to choose.. Wouldn't be the first time decisions from the top cost GS a lot of time or money, only to be scrapped or re-implemented.

So it might not just be a simple case of the coders/web team knocking out a competent marketplace in a reasonable time. I'm guessing there's more to it behind the scenes.. that's responsible for the lengthy delay!

• ant_ladant_lad Member Posts: 222

I can't see why png is considered defacto. CSS could be used with much more efficiency, due to it not having any 'weight' and next to zero load times. Unless all CSS is converted to png upon export? But I can't see a company making such a horrible decision in regards to their customer base.

• WebWarriorWebWarrior Member, PRO Posts: 62
    edited May 2015

@ant_lad said:
    I can't see why png is considered defacto. CSS could be used with much more efficiency, due to it not having any 'weight' and next to zero load times. Unless all CSS is converted to png upon export? But I can't see a company making such a horrible decision in regards to their customer base.

I'm rather confused. PNG is an image format. CSS is a stylesheet language for web pages. Why (or perhaps a better question is "how") would we make CSS the standard image format for GameSalad assets?

• ant_ladant_lad Member Posts: 222

If this is truly HTML compliant, CSS shapes can be used instead of a lot of the images used. A lot of games made through this are 'basic' with 'basic' images. For example, take an endless runner with 2-3 colors. 1 color for floor and ceiling, 1 color for character, 1 color for spinning gears. Backgrounds too. Those could be created using CSS instead of png, freeing up that much more space and load times. I don't know 'how' to make it easy to use, but I did come across a template recently that utilized CSS for color and shapes (just like a website, since every device is HTML compliant). Maybe put out a call to advanced users to see how it was done.
    Yes, CSS is a style sheet, technically, but has become the way to create shapes and most colors for HTML instead of PNG. It has greatly reduced loading times and site sizes.

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

Just wanted to point that our engine and most native engines do not (except the html5 engine) consume html/css and that html is slow to parse compared to lua or other formats for shape data.