Actors and Coming back to a game: Saved? In progress?

mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCSMember Posts: 634

Hello -

I'm currently working on a clicker type game, which stores values in a table (if you happen to remember my most recent post(s)).

When you click on a particular item, an actor (representative of what you are purchasing) appears on the screen. So let's say you've clicked on "red ball" four times; as a result, four red balls would appear on the screen.

The problem is as follows: Using GS Viewer, the values of the items clicked are stored in a table, and the representative actors appear. If I hit the home button, or even if I quit GS Viewer, the values are saved, so I'd restart with three red balls, but the balls (representative actors) are not there.

Has anyone death with this before? Would I go about it creating a loop spawning representative actors (in this case 3, the value stored) at game.time = 0 or the like? Is there another way to approach this?

Thanks, regards.

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Yes, you would need to spawn the actors (or use the Replicate behavior) to display the ball actors at the start of the scene.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634
    edited July 2015

Hello -

I'm bringing this one back from the dead.

I have two scenes, a "tap to start" intro scene, and a game scene.

In the tap to start scene, I created a temp variable to obtain the value from the score table where I should be storing the number of actors I acquired at the "store" with my "earned clicks". I know that the value is stored, since I have another actor display the stored value in the game scene.

Another portion of the game scene should show a spawned actor which is a graphical representation of the numerical value. For example, if my table value is 2, then 2 humans should spawn in a "pen" (confined area). I tried to spawn those actors with a loop that while the number of spawns is less than the saved value, then spawn another human actor. But it's simply not spawning anything; a new human is spawned if I click on one in the store.

BTW, every time I click on the purchase actor, the value is written to the table and then I save the table through the Save Table behavior.

Any ideas where I am doing it wrong?

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634

Eureka! I rechecked the loop, and noticed there was a timer in there which mucked things up. I removed the timer, and it's now working again.