Have you ever searched for hours after an error...

ThoPelThoPel GermanyMember, PRO Posts: 184

...and then found out that something was "hidden" in an "otherwise:" section of a rule? I have!

Vote for this feature request --> http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1119

Request: Show with a sign or counter behind the "Otherwise:" label, that behaviors exist or not exist.

Answers

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912

Great idea! Would save a great deal of time when debugging. You have my vote :)

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Voted!

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

I've learnt over time to always write the word OTHERWISE after the rule name each time I use it. This solves this issue but I totally agree that a flag marker would improve the use of the "otherwise" rule. Also voted!

• Shenanigans StudioShenanigans Studio Member, PRO Posts: 73

Just spent 30mins bug hunting and then I remembered reading this post the other day and sure enough I had rules in the "otherwise" section. Full support from me!

• ThoPelThoPel GermanyMember, PRO Posts: 184

Just 26 votes missing to position 1 - come on!

-> http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1119

Vote now ;)

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730

@gingagaming said:
    I've learnt over time to always write the word OTHERWISE after the rule name each time I use it. This solves this issue but I totally agree that a flag marker would improve the use of the "otherwise" rule. Also voted!

Yes, I've done this too for years so this issue is sort of a non-issue really. Just like many other things in the world of GS you have to find a workaround that solves your problem and then go with it.

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    edited June 2015

This is one of those (in theory) simple interface improvements that could, and should have been implemented years ago.

I remember @quantumsheep chasing up for this a good 2-3 years or more ago, and coming up with the simple solution that the otherwise header should be displayed in red or something when theres any data in the otherwise Tab. Just something really simple, but extremely useful to users...

But yup.. the interface has needed a good overall for years, with lots of small, but important/useful improvements (multiple copy paste of actors/snap to grid/layer controls/zoom function etc). I believe this is how Graphene was originally born... from the many requests for Creator interface improvements...

Indicating that the Otherwise section has been used though, should be a super easy to implement fix though compared to most of the other often requested/lacking interface tools... you would think...?

Sadly... its always been the GS way... implement big time consuming features that might not even be used by the majority of users, and ignore small but really useful usability improvements that would benefit every single user. Saying that though, theres definitely been a huge improvement with updates this year... would still be really nice to see some long overdue/useful interface improvements though... :)

@JSproject : I'm new to the community, but I hope that a feature request with enough votes will be realised :-)

Perhaps we should open a "Workaround" thread in the forum. It would be easier to newbies (like me :-) ) to learn GS without reinventing the wheel.

@ThoPel said:
    JSproject : I'm new to the community, but I hope that a feature request with enough votes will be realised :-)

I was like you, I was hoping.. then I was struck by reality and (unwillingly) adapted. With time you will learn what I mean by that ;)

The various interface issues with GS, that have caused countless of lost hours because of its poor design, will probably never be solved in GS but rather in Graphene.

@JSproject : You have lost hours, please invent 10 seconds to vote for my feature request. Pleeaassse :-) It will be worth it.

@ThoPel said:
    JSproject : You have lost hours, please invent 10 seconds to vote for my feature request. Pleeaassse :-) It will be worth it.

You misunderstood. I lose no time at all and never has because of a missing "otherwise" flag

@JSproject Okay, I've misunderstood.

Using a workaround (like entering a "OTHERWISE" after the name of the rule) needs time, that is just a kind of losing time.

@ThoPel said:
    JSproject Okay, I've misunderstood.

Using a workaround (like entering a "OTHERWISE" after the name of the rule) needs time, that is just a kind of losing time.

You can write O or anything really, takes only a second which is nothing in the grand scale of things. I agree that auto-flagging a rule with a otherwise section would be nice but it does not really bother me. Wait until you work on a bigger project.. backing out of an actor does not remember which tag you were in, no folder structure for assets, unsorted attributes etc. - those are the interface issues you would really want to have resolved then. It has been brought up countless of times. Still love the GS tool though but there is so much room for improvement for sure.

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454