We need a pathfinder tutorial!!!

ETGgamesETGgames Member, PRO Posts: 190

Please can someone make a tutorial with the new path finder behaviour. Perhaps how to use it with AI movement or something. That would be great for the community and myself.

Comments

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

You need to remember most tutorials are done by volunteers. We have limited time and also have our own games to work on as well. There are only a few of us who do videos. Be patient when time allows someone will do it.

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    edited August 2015

Have you watched and read

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

Getting the pathfinding working for turn-based, grid-based movement is really pretty easy.

Real-time is more interesting, though! If I find the time this weekend I'll make a turn-based tutorial, but I'm not at all sure I was doing real-time right.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@ETGgames said:
    Please can someone make a tutorial with the new path finder behaviour. Perhaps how to use it with AI movement or something. That would be great for the community and myself.

Here is a novel concept. Make a demo project and try experimenting with it on your own. this is what those of us do who make videos and give answers.

• tintrantintran Member Posts: 453
    edited July 2015

After reading https://help.gamesalad.com/hc/en-us/articles/206039217
    I thought i'd give Path Find a try.
    Here's a sample project that uses path find. maybe you can play around with it more.

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611
    edited August 2015

Guys, I'm trying to learn A* path finding and trying to make a pac-man type game with an aim to do this isometric style.

Any info or links of where to start would be great?

for now I'm looking at what's in this thread and I'll go with that, but please if anyone has some info or made any progress please let me know and we can share our findings :)

@tintran said:
    After reading https://help.gamesalad.com/hc/en-us/articles/206039217
    I thought i'd give Path Find a try.
    Here's a sample project that uses path find. maybe you can play around with it more.

hey man i tried your demo, very nice, have you tried making a pac-man type game yet! I've tried to have a mess with your demo but I'm useless at this :( need to do some more reading on it..

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    edited August 2015

@jay2dx

@BlackCloakGS said:
    Have you watched and read

Edit:updated the cookbook article url

@BlackCloakGS said:
    jay2dx

yeah watching it now actually the "read" link is broken though :(

and thanks man :)

edited August 2015

@BlackCloakGS said:
    jay2dx

reading now, suggest everyone else reading this does too, its great :) thanks @BlackCloakGS

so now i just need to get my head around all the code and mix the two methods together for my pac man game :)

the current demos are turn based, so what i need to figure out is:

1: grid based movement, "so pathfinding works"
    2: player can move freely "smooth" like paceman, but within the pathfinding grid
    3: enemy can move freely "smooth" and hunts the pac man also within the path finding grid.

shouldn't be too hard RIGHT! :)

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

@jay2dx how did you do?

Hey man, I shelved the idea based on the fact that pacman256 got released and it didn't do that well!, I turned my focus onto a platformer instead, 1 year in the making now! Almost ready to show on the forums,

Good luck with it though man

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

@jay2dx really? It didn't do well? The reviews seem great though. Good luck with the platformer!

edited June 2016

Yeah what I meant was not enough to make a similar game to release and capture the traffic, I was going for a more Crossy road style pacman game actually, just found it too hard, I actually think it was the layer orders that stopped me, the game I envisioned would need to be in 3D to work well, I'm learning unity now anyways so we will see :)

• lonzzy007lonzzy007 Member Posts: 7

I am trying to do RST God mode game. I know good luck with that on Gamesalad lol

Anyway its going well. Needs to pathfind routes through tunnels so i need to use these tables (for the first time) but its limited. is that because it am on free trial still?

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

@lonzzy007 said:
    I am trying to do RST God mode game. I know good luck with that on Gamesalad lol

Anyway its going well. Needs to pathfind routes through tunnels so i need to use these tables (for the first time) but its limited. is that because it am on free trial still?

@lonzzy007 The paid version is the same as the trial version as far as table structure/limits and table behaviors are concerned.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User