Fast Finger Frenzy Deluxe • development thread

2»

Comments

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Looks great, but to be honest I don't love the backgrounds. They look cool, but to me it doesn't match the art style of the actual gameplay. It should be something more techy in my opinion. Everything else is lines and circles, I'd try and work that into the background.

Menu is awesome, that's a good deal of pollish there.
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited July 2012

@jonmulcahy

Thank you very much for your comments, Jon, appreciated. :-) Yes, I'm pleased with the Menu and I think I'll have to get on with finishing that before carrying on with the levels...

Pertinent remark about the backgrounds too; it would work great as you say - matching background style with the techy actor elements - but the effect I'm after is to have those techy-type elements contrast with a more organic background; and to an extent, I like to think that because this is more of an unexpected contrast (perhaps...) that it adds a bit more "flavour" being distinctively different types of graphics (yet somehow seen as part of the same, if you get my drift)... that was my thought-process there.

So, much appreciated constructive crit which I won't be dismissing out of hand and I will be thinking on about what you've suggested... although just to say I might still stick with the "organic/techie" feel after all, so please don't feel I've ignored your constructive crit if it doesn't change...

:-)

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

edited December 2015

Hi, I've resurrected this game and have been working on it today - I think I'll finish this one next year as well before I carry on with my adventure game (this'll be my fifth app I'll be publishing next year along with Ambient Writer, Neko Montaaju, Sort 'Em and Spot the Difference Victorian Valentine Postcards).

Thanks to @jonmulcahy - I have gone down the techno background route as suggested for this game - thanks again, good call.

It's a simple game to put items into a well as fast as you can. The levels will become more complicated as they progress with different coloured draggable actors and wells, as well as having to add two numbers to make a certain total, spelling out a word, etc. Hope fully it'll be quite addictive.

Here's the latest progress video if you're interested to see - hope you like the beginnings of it - there'll be more more work done on it next year, as I say.

P.S It's now called Fast Finger Frenzy Deluxe.

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Love it ! The mechanic is so simple but I don't think I've seen it done before, and your execution/design works really well ! The music works really well too, although I'd put the main background music and the 'level complete' music in the same key / tempo.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

looks awesome! what happens if someone tries to use multiple fingers? does it work?

What would be cool is if you use multiple fingers the walls become deadly and if you touch them the level restarts, but if you use one finger they are safe

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@jonmulcahy said:
    looks awesome! what happens if someone tries to use multiple fingers? does it work?

There is a knock at the door, and then you are hooded, bundled into an unmarked van and "arrested", gyroscope took months setting this up with various law establishment agencies, he insisted on waterboarding, I explained he would be in breach of several international conventions on human rights (and the App Store's TOC) and he eventually backed off.

edited December 2015

@Socks - Ha! :smiley:

And glad you love it. A simple principle but as I say, hopefully addictive. Another good call re: the music - i've since made it a sound effect when go is touched so it doesn't clash. And the level stops automatically now when the player has cleared.

@jonmulcahy Hi Jon, it doesn't work with multiple fingers - not that it would help a user if you could, I don't think...

Good idea about the walls but as there's obstacles and there'll be different colours to sort, etc, all against time, I think I probably won't make touching the walls a penalty but nice thought tho.

:smile:

P.S i'll add barriers and switches to later levels, i'm thinking.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Woohoo! So glad to see this one resurrected! Can't wait to play it!

@Socks said:

@jonmulcahy said:

There is a knock at the door, and then you are hooded, bundled into an unmarked van and "arrested", gyroscope took months setting this up with various law establishment agencies, he insisted on waterboarding, I explained he would be in breach of several international conventions on human rights (and the App Store's TOC) and he eventually backed off.

Holy crud that's a long sentence, Socks. ;)

@Braydon_SFX said:
    Woohoo! So glad to see this one resurrected! Can't wait to play it!

Glad for that, Bray, thanks! Should be ready end of Jan to middle of Feb latest at a guesstimate.

edited December 2015

Here's another vid. update showing the first four levels. Simple at the beginning, then things will start to get more difficult with barriers, switches, different colours, numbers and letters.

Hope you like it; any comments appreciated, thanks. (Tiny problem with one of the level's given time I know about, cheers!) (And the barriers don't show half as well as they do on the iPad but I'll still make them more visible, I think)

edited December 2015

Hi, here's another progress video of Fast Finger Frenzy Deluxe showing the first 7 levels. As I say, easy at the beginning, getting more difficult further on.

Hope you like how it's coming together:

P.S @jonmulcahy Jon, I think I will make a certain wall colour end the game if touched, thanks for the suggestion. :smile: The player can always retry the level or start again from fresh.

edited December 2015

Here's another vid showing the first 9 levels. The later levels show switches and red barrier which, if touched, loses the game. (This works but not shown touched in this version). Also shows moveable walls. I've sorted the scoring and seconds clock which was going wrong.

I've decided that instead of 100 levels there'll be 80, or possibly 60. Even 60 would give a couple of hours gameplay which I think would be good value for the minimum price i'll be asking in the store.

Here's the latest vid., hope you're liking it. It is quite addictive the more its played but I understand not so much just watching the vid! Again any comments appreciated, thanks.