Spare Code ? Dump It here.

Comments

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

Great stuff there @Socks and @floatingwoo

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

@Socks said:
    One more wobbly background, this time it settles.

Love it!

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826
    edited August 2015

Here is the link to the original thread for a full mini game project file. I hope someone finds it of benefit. It is my first shared item so please be kind. Cheers :wink:

Heart Defender

• RainbrosRainbros Member Posts: 124
    edited August 2015

@Socks Maybe I'm missing something obvious but I don't see what is making the dots move...?

EDIT: JK. I now see that the dot is not the center of the image ;)

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited August 2015

@Rainbros said:
    Socks Maybe I'm missing something obvious but I don't see what is making the dots move...?

EDIT: JK. I now see that the dot is not the center of the image ;)

Yeah, it's just rotating, but that rotation is offset because of the order in which the actors are spawned.

edited October 2015

Move towards actor along slope

Short video at (h)ttps://youtu.be/p88g11UG56o

This was requested here.

Position the shaker actor anywhere in the scene prior to previewing. Use the arrow keys to move towards or away from the shaker actor.

Note: Made with Mac Creator 0.13.38

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• wayback_gamerwayback_gamer USMember, PRO Posts: 124

@Socks your faster frame rate just literally restored my excitement for making games. Can the stick man be made transparent/no background? Can I submit example with request to use the stick figure in a game if so? Sure I can remove the background, but why not ask. It's truly amazing!!!! I can't say that enough and think of Jimmy Kimmel when I say it haha

@ Socks now I'm going to make games all day everyday and I have to have someone come over and make me stop and sleep haha, not to take away anything from anything anyone else who has contributed to this thread, but the frame rates example is just Sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edited October 2015

@wayback_gamer said:
    Can the stick man be made transparent/no background?

25 pages, hundreds of posts / examples / ideas . . . . . so I might need a reference to this stick man ! :smile:

@wayback_gamer said:
    Can I submit example with request to use the stick figure in a game if so?

Help yourself.

EDIT: just realised you probably mean the fast frame swap demo . . . . if that's the case then, yep, help yourself to the files and the artwork, if you want to be able to see through the background just change the actor's blending mode to Multiply (in the graphics attributes) - example attached . . .

If you want to do more than just have a figure running (for example you might want jumping), then grab yourself a free 3D application like blender, and then look for some free mo-cap (motion capture) files.

@Socks sorry for any confusion. Thank you for the reply, advice and attachment.

Wow @Socks you even managed to answer my forum question before I asked it with the attachment in your last reply. Thank You!!

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

Took a brake from my project and started playing around with "Display text" and "Replicate" behaviors.

Ofcourse, you can do much better effects with an image editing software, but i thought i´d share what i got out of GS.

Could be useful to someone...

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

@NipaDidIt Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

@NipaDidIt said:
    Took a brake from my project and started playing around with "Display text" and "Replicate" behaviors.

Ofcourse, you can do much better effects with an image editing software, but i thought i´d share what i got out of GS.

Could be useful to someone...

Nice ! Good use of Replicate too.

One note, replicate replicates replicate ! :smile:

What I mean by that is that if you have 3 copies of an actor replicated at 0°, then 3 at 90°, 3 at 180° and 3 at 270° . . . . you might think to yourself you have 12 copies, whereas in fact you have 81 copies !

When you replicate - for example - an actor 5 times to the right (0°), and then add another Replicate behaviour to make 5 copies downwards (270°) you will end up with the original Replicate behaviour (5 copies to the right) being replicated, giving you 25 copies - this is useful in that you can generate grids of actors really quickly.

• BellowBellow Bartender Member, PRO Posts: 227

Dungeons and Dragons stat system with level up, health, armor and attack.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

Pick a random number from 0-9 without repeating any previously picked number, and without using tables.

Does the same thing as with tables, but with a string instead.

The string functions are immensely useful if you break out of the idea that they are only for text. Nice demo, @Armelline! Of course, it becomes trickier if you want, say, a random number from 1-100. But you could possibly use a string that looked like 001002003...098099100 and use similar logic (though you might run into the maximum string length). That and who wants to type in that string in the first place. :p For small ranges, this is right on the mark.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

@tatiang said:
    The string functions are immensely useful if you break out of the idea that they are only for text. Nice demo, @Armelline! Of course, it becomes trickier if you want, say, a random number from 1-100. But you could possibly use a string that looked like 001002003...098099100 and use similar logic (though you might run into the maximum string length). That and who wants to type in that string in the first place. :p For small ranges, this is right on the mark.

Absolutely - I experimented with 0-99, using the method you mentioned, but concluded that realistically you're probably better with a table at that point, though this method is entirely possible. I didn't dare try 100+ :D

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

Great routine @Armelline! Super for small sets as you say, without the extra overhead of tables. The right tool for the job!

Circle Timer

Here's a bit of a strange way to make a circle timer, but why not! Set game.timerDuration to the number of seconds for the countdown. This could be used for a cool down timer for a button in a game.

• wilsongaluchowilsongalucho Member Posts: 180
    edited December 2015

Might use this circle timer for my game thanks for sharing @tatiang :smile:

• LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880
    edited December 2015

A proto where I did some crazy stuff. Could be a cool enemy for a game or something...

@LumpApps said:

Looks cool ! Weird !! But cool :)

Random Growing Isometric Path . . . . might inspire a game for someone . . .

8 bit fuse . . . . good for a count down / timer / loading bar . . .

• floatingwoofloatingwoo Los Angeles, Calif.Member Posts: 393

Eccelente! grazie @Socks

@floatingwoo said:
    Eccelente! grazie @Socks

Cheers woo !

Here's a radar, might be useful for someone, maybe for a mini-map with little red dots for the enemies / targets . .

(gif looks crap, the actual project is much smoother)

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@Socks said:
    Random Growing Isometric Path . . . . might inspire a game for someone . . .

@http_gamesalad might like this...

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Since we currently do not have an accurate way to detect when the player is actually touching the custom collision shape of an actor, this simple demo shows a workaround.

Hope it's helpful!

• zweg25zweg25 Member Posts: 738

Here is a simple grid spawner. Uses a loop so visually it is not instantaneous. But very handy for me, so i figured I'd share. Happy Holidays!