Spare Code ? Dump It here.

Comments

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

@Braydon_SFX -- Nice solution to a pesky problem! Thanks for sharing!

@zweg25 -- Very handy grid spawner! I will be using this today. Thanks for sharing!

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634
    edited January 2016

@Socks said:
    One more wobbly background, this time it settles.

@Socks,

I may finally be using a modded version of this on a game. Would you like attribution, or do you revel in anonimity? :p

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@mhedges said:

@Socks said:
    One more wobbly background, this time it settles.

@Socks,

I may finally be using a modded version of this on a game. Would you like attribution, or do you revel in anonimity? :p

No attribution needed, help yourself.

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634

@Socks said:

Much obliged, @Socks ! I guess I'll take it out of the scene, then.

Here is a demo for page swiping. It uses a more mathematical approach.
    Some things it includes are:
    1) Method for determining camera velocity
    2) Method for paging a scene (using camera width)
    3) Demo of how to make a logical "IF-THEN-ELSE" within an expression
    4) Use of interpolate to manipulate the camera

Get it here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/1gqm39qe2nav4xl/PageSwipeV4.zip

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

Here is a pretty self-contained RPG Inventory system using only

2 Tables, 2 rules and 2 behaviors for managing it.

Flexible for any number of slots.

Project attached.

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

@mhedges said:

@Socks said:

Much obliged, @Socks ! I guess I'll take it out of the scene, then.

Funny. I actually have those socks.

@gattoman said:
    Funny. I actually have those socks.

:o

edited March 2016

Kinda' wave thing, GS project below . . . (give the GIF a few seconds to load)

edited March 2016

Wave.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

I was showing my son this geometric design I learned as a kid. It's really simple: you draw a square, then draw an inscribed square that connects the midpoints of the sides, and repeat. Then you color in triangles in a spiral pattern. I think it's called Baravelle's spiral.

I decided to program it in GameSalad. It's not really useful for anything but it was a fun, quick project.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

Something I cooked up to keep track of the days of the year in real time. It recognises leap years too. Great for when you want to make items that are related to the year. Pop ups for notifications, rewards etc. that might be seasonal or Day specific.

How to change a random number into a text label by using boolean logic.

Say you want to randomly change the image of an actor. The standard way is to get a random number and then have a series of rules to change an image according to the new number.

But instead you can just use boolean logic and do it in a single change attribute. The boolean test looks like this:

Change Attribute: self.ImageName To:( self.randNum ==1)and("NameOne")or( self.randNum ==2)and("NameTwo")or( self.randNum ==3)and("NameThree")or( self.randNum ==4)and("NameFour")or( self.randNum ==5)and("NameFive")

You just have to change "NameOne" etc., to the names of your images.

Here is an example:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/lu594eu6wb43qaa/NumbersToNames.zip

• owen_dennisowen_dennis Just a guy, you know. Member, PRO Posts: 236
    edited April 2016

@RThurman said:
    How to change a random number into a text label by using boolean logic.

Say you want to randomly change the image of an actor. The standard way is to get a random number and then have a series of rules to change an image according to the new number.

But instead you can just use boolean logic and do it in a single change attribute. The boolean test looks like this:

Change Attribute: self.ImageName To:( self.randNum ==1)and("NameOne")or( self.randNum ==2)and("NameTwo")or( self.randNum ==3)and("NameThree")or( self.randNum ==4)and("NameFour")or( self.randNum ==5)and("NameFive")

You just have to change "NameOne" etc., to the names of your images.

Here is an example:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/lu594eu6wb43qaa/NumbersToNames.zip

This is really cool. Could you break this down a little further? I've never seen "==", "and", or "or" used in anything before. What are they doing?

@owen_dennis said:
    This is really cool. Could you break this down a little further? I've never seen "==", "and", or "or" used in anything before. What are they doing?

== means 'is equal to'
    as for 'and' and 'or' -- you might want to do a google search for boolean operators in Lua.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069
    edited June 2016

Here is a project for universal joystick input. It includes controls for movement with keyboard, "floating" virtual joystick, or a Physical/USB controller all feeding into one move behaviour.

I created this for an RPG we're making for the purpose of cleaning up some legacy code of constrains, spawns, and unneeded rule checks while still meeting needs for input and precision. It supports 3 touch multi touch and can easily be expanded.

Some general information is available in the project itself on how to use it/what values should change.

Hopefully it can be of use to others as well!

Follow us: Twitter - Website

@AlchimiaStudios -- very nice! This will come in very handy.

Thanks for sharing with the community.

• LivieGamesLivieGames Member Posts: 44

Awesome! Thanks heaps everyone. This is the best community i have ever come across. Great team work :)

• Nabbo (ReflectiveByte)Nabbo (ReflectiveByte) Member Posts: 278
    edited October 2016

Well it has been long time since someone updated anything here, so I thought I could contribute my research here with custom text.

I made custom fonts which instead of showing numbers from 0 (Min) to 9 (Max) shows bars for e.g.
    Instead of 3 it shows ---

So you can create health bar of any enemy with out constraining anything!!! Just you need to select my custom font HP 2 and experiment with Alignment and size and Direction!!

This has unlimited possibility, depending upon requirement - any one can make their own
    fonts like instead of bar make custom font heart/armour/strength/etc.

I am using this on one of my projects and it works great!! Do check it out!! You need to touch the enemies to kill them!!

• smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

The best thread in the world (ever). Is back, nice.

@Nabbo (ReflectiveByte) said:
    I made custom fonts which instead of showing numbers from 0 (Min) to 9 (Max) shows bars . . .

Great idea !

• mshuraih mshuraih Member, PRO Posts: 179

Well it has been long time since someone updated anything here, so I thought I could contribute my research here with custom text.

I made custom fonts which instead of showing numbers from 0 (Min) to 9 (Max) shows bars for e.g.

So you can create health bar of any enemy with out constraining anything!!! Just you need to select my custom font HP 2 and experiment with Alignment and size and Direction!!

This has unlimited possibility, depending upon requirement - any one can make their own

I am using this on one of my projects and it works great!! Do check it out!! You need to touch the enemies to kill them!!

nice ! i m finishing a game using the constrain table ..etc .. I wish i saw this sooner !

edited October 2016

Cool @Nabbo (ReflectiveByte)

If you now combine it with the "%c" string pattern matching format, which I explained in this thread:

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/89627/uppercase-lowercase-leading-zeros-reverse-repeat-ascii-keycode-etc

then you can have "unlimited" prepared characters, or a much finer grained health bar.

• thx u all for good response, @Hopscotch can you check and try to implement this and can u let us know if its possible, maybe it will make our live much easier!!

Well I am planning to put something here weekly if I get time and support!! Sure I have some hacks n cheats that makes life easy!!

• @Hopscotch I see "Repeat a string of text" command which may do some wonders with custom fonts? I dont know how to implement these but sure if this works then its really a good shortcut, can u implement this and share ur experience??

edited October 2016

@Nabbo (ReflectiveByte) , the commands are quite easy to use.

Attached is a project showing the use of the functions, as well as rough proposals in using them in conjunction with health-bars (on scene 2).

There are two proposals:

1. Health Bar consisting of a single character
      Use as many characters in the ASCII range 33 to 126 to create a finely grained single character health bar.

2. Health Bar consisting of multiple characters
      For longer health bars, and more detail, convert the powers of ten to individual character. So a value of 32 will be represented as ":::2" where ":" is a filled character, and the "2" is the fractional representation. (This makes no sense to me :D )
      See the project and it will be clear. A font would need to be prepared as such:

Note: The project does not include appropriate fonts for the Health Bars. These would be individual to your project.

edited October 2016

Here is a small template for a "Find the word in a sentence" game.

Easy to add sentences.
    Setup mode to adjust the word width to calculate spacing between words.
    Each word spawns as its own actor to easily add effects for both right and wrong choices.

Project attached

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

@Hopscotch said:
    Here is a small template for a "Find the word in a sentence" game.
    Project attached

Love this! Was already working on something for this!

edited November 2016

Here is a simple project to visually set the values of an exponential function by manipulating two points on the graph.

Exponential functions have many applications in game design:

• Button bounce effects
    • Power increase in items for a satisfying feel as you progress
    • Increasing cost of items in a clicker game
    • Curve balls :)
    • etc.

Use the project to visually define the slope of the desired curve, then read off the values of a and b to use in the formula.

Have fun!