New to Gamesalad!

nick9607nick9607 Member, PRO Posts: 2

Yes, as the title says I'm brand new to gamesalad, and creating games in general. This has been something I've been wanting to do for a very long time. I would like to tip my hat to the developers, you made this very easy to learn with all the great tutorials.. I'm in the process of making my first fully functional game. It will be of the RPG variety which I enjoy a lot and would like to move my story telling into other peoples minds. Given that, I have learned to make movable actors, collisions, tables, controls (on screen) etc etc. A few things I feel I'm missing is the ability to make vendors (I think I have an idea this is done with by just making tables for each vendor to sell out of with max item capacity.. etc. Not sure if this will use to much memory or if there is a simpler way I have yet to learn. Just to make it clear, I've only been using This program for 4 days now.. and am already into my 5 scene on my rpg, with a functional inventory, gold counter, and health bar. I will be working on adding the collectable spells, I know I can turn these on and off for the character already using the same table method as my inventory.. etc. I would like an opinion on other tutorials that would be good for me to watch, this will be a single player RPG, no multi-player support.

Any help is appreciated. And I look forward to bringing many templates and tools to this community when I figure out how to do some wonky stuff. Another thing is I love math, so I will be creating some AI systems in this as well. I know from what I've been reading this is rather difficult to do in this program, but if anyone can point me towards some material (online tutorials etc) that can help me achieve this I would be might grateful!

Thanks for reading this and your time, hope to hear from you guys soon!

Comments

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

Welcome aboard Nick. While it sounds like you have your first project planned out, I suggest making something smaller than an RPG for your first game. Many (most) new users including myself tend to start out on their dream project before even spending the time to learn Gamesalad and this can often lead to disastrous results. Start with something small, learn from it and move on to bigger things.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck!

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

Sounds like you have a great start. Have fun with it.

• nick9607nick9607 Member, PRO Posts: 2
    edited February 2016

Thank you 2, Just got my Pro upgrade today, time to get started.

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

Great. Now you can go full throttle.

• shumicpishumicpi Member Posts: 29

Hello and welcome to this community and yes you are doing great here :)

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@jamie_c said:
    Welcome aboard Nick. While it sounds like you have your first project planned out, I suggest making something smaller than an RPG for your first game. Many (most) new users including myself tend to start out on their dream project before even spending the time to learn Gamesalad and this can often lead to disastrous results. Start with something small, learn from it and move on to bigger things.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck!

I agree.

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

While I can't point you to any good tutorials for your project I can recommend working on each game mechanic in separate files where possible as it can easily get messy and you can easily get lost if you work on the one project file and keep adding code to it while working on new mechanics.

Once you're happy with the new mechanic you can try and add it to your main project file.

Good luck with your RPG.

• neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826

Welcome and all the best with your projects ... :wink: