Apple will blocks ads soon

Hi every one
just i want conform that, does Apple will close iAds and all ads will be blocked if the user choose so. And what if there is a reward video is this also will be blocked

Thanks

Comments

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

I get the impression that Apple plan to try and kill off in-app advertising, but it may take a while. They're closing iAds, and going to start to allow ad blocker software from what I read... which will make in app ads for most, redundant.

I imagine over time that they'll then start introducing new requirements that either restrict or outright ban adverts, as they no longer get a cut of any advertising revenue, so will likely try and force them out of apps on iOS completely. Well thats my view on it...

So could reverse the trend of everyone expecting everything for free, and drive the market back towards one that pays for downloads. (hopefully)...

As for reward videos... Im guessing they'll initially get caught by ad-blockers too, and then by Apples overall anti-ad strategy... so may need some rethinking. Until it all starts kicking into place though, still a bit of a guess as to how its all going to pan out.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@Chunkypixels said:
    I get the impression that Apple plan to try and kill off in-app advertising, but it may take a while. They're closing iAds, and going to start to allow ad blocker software from what I read... which will make in app ads for most, redundant.

Is that so? Will the ad-blockers expand from web to in-app?

Is there an article about this somewhere? I've heard theories about this as well, but as far as I understood it, they were just the typical rumors based on no concrete information, just reading too much into the closing of iAd.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Chunkypixels said:

Agreed, I've also noticed a move towards featuring paid apps in the last few months.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited February 2016

@pHghost said:
    . . . as far as I understood it, they were just the typical rumors based on no concrete information, just reading too much into the closing of iAd.

Not just the closing of iAds, but also Apple allowing ad blocking and a general move towards paid apps.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@Socks said:

@Chunkypixels said:

Agreed, I've also noticed a move towards featuring paid apps in the last few months.

Imo that would be awesome

edited February 2016

@pHghost ...the subject is getting discussed on a lot of the mobile developer forums.

Also... think about it... if Apple no longer run/make money from their own ad network, but continue to allow other networks, then they're helping Google and other rivals to make a big chunk of advertising revenue from the iOS ecosystem. If they ban/kill off ads completely, they stop Google from making money from iOS, as adMob is a google owned company.

I think adMob turns over a much larger revenue in iOS placed ads than iAds does... so makes sense for Apple to kill off their own declining ad network in order to kill off a main competitor from making more money off of them.... if that makes sense.

So all for political/financial gain to Apple. Possible upside is that it changes the course of the App Store and paid games returning to be the norm.

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

As much as I would love to think that Apple is being a dick by blocking ads to annoy Google you have to realise that the money they make from ads (and even the entire app store) pails in comparison from the sales of phones, tablets and computers. Apple is a hardware company, and any core business decisions are likely based on the ability to sell machines in a way they want to. The main reason for them launching iads wasn't too make money. It was to try to improve the experience of advertising for the end user. When that failed, and it has failed, they decided to kill all advertising on ios.

Because advertising is terrible for the end user. It lags apps, downloads data and gets in the way of content. Apple want the best possible experience for people using their hardware. And they now think that the best experience doesn't involve advertising. So they're getting rid of it.

Apple limiting developers ability to serve ads, especially annoying ads, it's not new news http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/09/apple-begins-rejecting-apps-that-offer-rewards-for-video-views-social-sharing/

edited February 2016

@imjustmike ...good points regarding advertising being an insignificant revenue for Apple compared to the money they make from hardware sales, and how it might all just be about them trying to improve the user experience.

Going to be interesting to see where it all leads though, and how far Apple decides to go with it.

Could lead to a huge upheaval for AppStore developers, but make the Appstore a better place to be...

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

This is why we had already changed our approach we have three apps coming out to are paid and one is free with the main attempt to push to the paid apps as well as one other free app we already have out there. This is our approach. I'm glad ads are taking a back seat.

• claycollins33claycollins33 Member, PRO Posts: 8

This is in regards to the latest blog posts from Apple I'm assuming? Interesting. :p

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

I completely agree it would be a sensible thing for Apple to do, and would drive down Google into the ground.

That said, I don't really see it happening in the short term (I might be wrong, of course). I think iPhone users are so used to 'free' apps, it would create a huge backlash. There might be a gradual shift, of course, but I suspect it will take years before we maybe get there.

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

@pHghost said:
    I completely agree it would be a sensible thing for Apple to do, and would drive down Google into the ground.

That said, I don't really see it happening in the short term (I might be wrong, of course). I think iPhone users are so used to 'free' apps, it would create a huge backlash.

Agreed. I think people will see this as negative. Why is this game free on android and I have to pay for it on my iPhone? It will totally kill sales in China and India!!

Maybe they will limit the amount of adds per hour or something.

My opinion it will hurt small indie developers as well. Favors the big boys.

I think they have been debating this for the last couple years. I think as China and emerging markets becoming important they won't just ban advertising and free games outright.

But Apple does what Apple does.

• OrvilFoxOrvilFox Member Posts: 67

Something confirmed is, Apple is not shutting down iAd program as a whole. What they actually stopped is the platform that can allow developer to advertise their own apps via iAd.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

@neo1998x, yes. It seems like there is a big misunderstanding on the whole issue. As I understand it Apple is closing its in-house iAds development group. Which is a group that used to work with high profile advertisers to help them create interactive 'fancy' iAds, not just the standard banner ads we often see in games. This iAds development group is now being outsourced to a 3rd party.

BUT iAds as a service to be shown in apps is not going away. It's confusing because they are both referred to as iAds but covered two different areas.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327
    edited February 2016

@jamie_c said:
    @neo1998x, yes. It seems like there is a big misunderstanding on the whole issue. As I understand it Apple is closing its in-house iAds development group. Which is a group that used to work with high profile advertisers to help them create interactive 'fancy' iAds, not just the standard banner ads we often see in games. This iAds development group is now being outsourced to a 3rd party.

BUT iAds as a service to be shown in apps is not going away. It's confusing because they are both referred to as iAds but covered two different areas.

This was my understanding. iAds as Apple envisioned them, and as they demoed them at their introduction, have failed. Apple is calling quits on them, cutting their losses. But iAd banner ads are not going away. At least I've seen nothing saying they are.

• passmitspassmits Member, PRO Posts: 26

They don't get it.. Apps are free because we put advertise on them. If they block advertises, less apps will be free-to-play.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

@passmits said:
    They don't get it.. Apps are free because we put advertise on them. If they block advertises, less apps will be free-to-play.

I think Apple are quite happy for that to happen. As am I, to be honest. I'd pay $5 for a true Peggle or Plants vs Zombies or Where's My Water sequel, but I'm not being nickel and dimed and forced to Facebook share and all that nonsense like those "sequels".

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

I think Apple are quite happy for that to happen. As am I, to be honest. I'd pay $5 for a true Peggle or Plants vs Zombies or Where's My Water sequel, but I'm not being nickel and dimed and forced to Facebook share and all that nonsense like those "sequels".

I couldn't agree more. I WISH there were less games but more that were worth actually paying money to play.

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

The video adds are a bit much. I don't actually like video adds while Im playing games. The simple interstitials I can quickly kill and move on is OK. Just an extra click between games..........

• OrvilFoxOrvilFox Member Posts: 67

But besides how annoying it is, it will be a lost of method to promote the downloads of your app. And for companies such as Admob and Chatboost, it is a disaster.

And sadly, personally and honestly.. Since I myself is not 18 yet, the advertisements is the only way I discovered for our game to make revenue. Selling paid app will cause a series of legal and bank problems that we might not want to deal with... :s

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited February 2016

games can still be free and sell in-apps just as clash of clans or candy crush do

I do not see premium games as a good model for indies like us at all except you get featured.

Ads are enabling the small man to make a living of this craft as it lowered the wall to test out an indie game for a consumer.

Also in-app purchases are much less likely to happen, (specialy consumable) in an indie game than a big title with server saved account.

Allowing to block ads might be nice for apple and the consumer but does hurt the flexibility and opportunity to try out smaller alternative things as an indie developer.

On the other hand you could ad block on google play since "ever" and my main ad revenue always came from google play. So the impact might not be to much of a big deal at all.

• WildSnakeWildSnake Member Posts: 19

Ads exclusion will not only lower down the number of games released but execute whole genres of games presented on the platform.
    Independent publsihers just wouldn't be able to ask the price for a lot of casual board, puzzle and arcade two-days-play games. And actually most of such games aren't bad at all - pure gameplay without all these million-budget-charged flowers around it.

So I don't see any reason for happyness if such decision would be made by Apple. At least not for me as indie game developer and publsiher for last 15 years.
    I'd say Apple will kill little competitors of giant publishers.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    This is why we had already changed our approach we have three apps coming out to are paid and one is free with the main attempt to push to the paid apps as well as one other free app we already have out there. This is our approach. I'm glad ads are taking a back seat.

We are also taking this approach. It also saves issues with ads not working or loading potentially crashing your app. Generally we begin by offering something for free with no ads or anything until it has an audience. Once it has a sizable audience we then offer a paid version with more features as our own ad screen in the original app. So far this model is generating more revenue than ads ever did for us.

• Village IdiotVillage Idiot Member, PRO Posts: 486

I don't understand how Apple can't make money out of iAds – if it goes through iAds, don't they get the money? Why can't they just ban the competition?

Anyone know?

@wolala123 cheers for that update.

So yup, it confirms that the whole iAds system is being closed down... so, once Apple have killed off their own in-house advertising network, I can't see it being too long before they start trying to discourage or kill off other advertising networks on iOS. If Apple has no financial gain from Ads, then Ads no longer have any value in their ecosystem, and only become an annoyance to the end user, something that doesn't sit well with Apples overall design/user experience philosophy...

Going to be interesting to see how it all pans out, with their attempt at steering the market back to premium/paid apps or completely free with no Ads.

I wonder why the change?

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

Apple is doing great with changes like these. Most gamers got spoiled by getting everything for free, and we as developers had to go free or ruin our game experience to make a little money, it shouldn't work that way. It also forces developers to spend more time in creating better a better game. The era of earning a quick buck with a shitty game will be over very soon if this is really going to happen. Say all you want, but this is excellent news:)!

@WildSnake What you are saying is absolutely nonsense. Ads wren't a bad thing when they got introduced to the mobile platforms, but nowadays it feels like I'm watching more ads instead of playing a games. It will only encourage developers to polish their games. I think apple wants to eliminate all the crap that is coming into their App Store, and I don't blame them. It only restores the App Store to the way it was a few years ago. Don't get me wrong, its great to see so many developers around the world publishing games to the App Store, and make a little money with the ads, but I think you don't realise that 95% of these games are toilet water. And the fact that less games get released on the App Store is only good thing. It will increase the chances of getting featured. If you're a store owner, would you rather sell some really great things and a pile of garbage that sits in the back, or would you like to have a clean store with only great products? And is it really bad for indie developer in comparison to the massive publishers? For some indie's yes, maybe. But for the majority, probably not. It's only really bad for developers who want to sell ads instead of a great game.