Guru live stream special (Saturday March 26 due to Easter)

The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
edited March 2016 in Community Tutorials

Since Sunday is the Easter holiday and I will be away with family, I have moved the stream to Saturday. This gives me the opportunity to have a very special guest who is only available on Saturdays. I am very pleased to have as my guest a longtime and very influential gamesalad user, the bowl boy sidekick himself and the most respected young man on these forums @Braydon_SFX ! One of the great things about these shows is you get to meet and hear from many of the great users who help you nearly everyday! I will be doing this as an interview. Get to know Braydon and how he found gamesalad and why he started making games and what his future goals are. This is a can't miss stream!!!

As usual this stream will be available for those who can't be there live once YouTube processes it.

Live stream starts Saturday 1:00pm est US / 5:00pm London UK

To view the stream just click the link in my signature guru video channel and while you are there please subscribe.

Comments

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

Cool, looking forward to this!

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    ... and the most respected young man on these forums @Braydon_SFX !

I second that!

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Looking forward to it!

• RPRP Member Posts: 1,990

Iffy when and if I'll make this one. I gotta spend some time with my girl this weekend, she's been away in Miami for the last week. Got peeps visiting from Texas for VFX stuffs too. I've been all over LA this week with work and I caught a cold on top of it! UGH!!! juggle, juggle...

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

Thanks to @Braydon_SFX for being my guest! To see the replay of the broadcast go to my guru YouTube page. Link is in my signature below.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

Fantastic! I just found this post at 10:30 Easter Sunday. It's already 21:00 US ESDT, so with any luck when I get back to my Mac, (I'm out looking for Easter eggs), it would have processed and be up.

What a great Easter Egg to find hidden in the forum. :)

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274

It is nice to see the faces matched up with the names.

@BazookaTime said:
    It is nice to see the faces matched up with the names.

That's one of my main goals is to show the real people on the forums and get to know them.

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    edited March 2016

I think its a nice idea Dave and I look forward to future casts but if I'm honest i watched 35 minutes and turned it off....I'm happy to say why via pm.

I was expecting to hear a lot more of Braydon but it was 95% you and 5% Braydon who was just agreeing with you like a "yes" man, maybe have 10 questions set out and let the guest fully answer before jumping in and changing the direction of the conversation.

I can't fault your enthusiasm, passion and the broadcasting quality :)

@UtopianGames said:
    I think its a nice idea Dave and I look forward to future casts but if I'm honest i watched 35 minutes and turned it off....I'm happy to say why via pm.

I was expecting to hear a lot more of Braydon but it was 95% you and 5% Braydon who was just agreeing with you like a "yes" man, maybe have 10 questions set out and let the guest fully answer before jumping in and changing the direction of the conversation.

I can't fault your enthusiasm, passion and the broadcasting quality :)

Yes, I'm still getting my feet under me on this. Been decades since I did this type of broadcasting. Figuring out the comfort level of the guest et... I defiantly need to do more show prep as it's called with my guests. It takes a while to get into the swing of figuring out when a guest is at a loss of thought or is uncomfortable with a commenting on something specific. I fully realize the show is less than perfect and every week I try to get things a bit more right. Heck last week I forgot to bring in my mic for the first few minutes...lmao. Lots to think about as I'm not only the host but the technical director as well and try to check the chat feed as well. As I progress, things will settle in. I would like to add some video packages and such. I have ideas to build it out in the future but trying to keep it simple at first. As you saw at a point I did recognize I needed to get on track with the questions to Braydon so it is clear I am aware I am not perfected my hosting duties..lol I always welcome feedback and appreciate it as the show is to inform the audience and not about me which is why I prefer to have guests. I have reached out to others as well to come one the stream and we will see if they feel comfortable doing so. As you know it is well documented that people's biggest fear is public speaking and so that plays a big part in getting guests and when I have a guest I am always trying to keep that in mind. It's more of a juggling act than it appears. My main focus right now has been getting down the broadcasting end of things, great audio, good image quality and starting and ending the show, which isn't as smooth as I want it to be. I need to do new intro and exit motion graphics to help with that. There is much that goes into producing a broadcast quality program. In my limited time I am trying to pull it together...lol We'll see how it goes, I'll either be able to pull it off or not. If I believe there is not enough interest or I just am not up to the challenge, I'll just politely sign off :) Especially with summer coming it's nice to not have commitments on the weekends and go dune driving in my Jeep ;)

edited March 2016

Nice reply Dave, its easy to forget how many things you have to juggle, keep up the great work and I'm sure it will run a lot smoother as you gain more experience.

@UtopianGames said:
    Nice reply Dave, its easy to forget how many things you have to juggle, keep up the great work and I'm sure it will run a lot smoother as you gain more experience.

Yeah, last week when I forgot to click on my mic in wire cast was just a simple bonehead move..lol as I was focusing on coming in on time after the temp intro I'm using. Still getting used to wire cast and my main issue with the software is the way it handles audio and external usb devices. So I can't monitor the live audio feed as it makes all the audio pitchy for some reason as this is acknowledged by wire cast. I have to route all the audio into my mixing board to monitor all the feeds. I monitor the audio out by the audio meters in the software and set the levels based on that, which is fine because meters are a true representation of the audio levels anyway but makes it hard to spot my audio error as my mic monitoring goes straight from my audio converter to my mix board. The issue with wire cast is I can't import and export usb audio at the same time, I have to choose one and since my broadcast mic is a tubed analog mic I need to pick USB in. I may pickup a USB mic which will avoid the issue but USB Mics are crap and not near as warm as my tube mic. So errors like that tell me I need to focus on getting what I'm doing technically correct and causes a bit of tunnel vision. Kinda makes me irritated as I spent $500 on wire cast and it is top notch switching, steaming software but their audio switching needs work. We'll see how it goes, right now I'm getting an average of 35 views and although it's nice, it's not quite enough to invest a ton more time and money.

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

I think its a good show really , I like to see it every week , I feel like its hard to be in @Lost_Oasis_Games place , cause I tried to put myself in his place , and I was like what would i say next when my guest is done talking and stays quiet . He has a way of keeping things going. What I dont like is that sometimes it takes a long time , things that could be said in a minute or 2 , drags to 5-10 minutes, but thats just a personal opinion as a viewer. I enjoy the show , and i enjoy getting to know the people in the forums. Thanks for doing it every week @Lost_Oasis_Games and I hope you continue with that.

edited March 2016

35 views is a shame because you deserve more, I'm not sure where all the users have gone but over the last year and a half for us it's took a massive dive from thousands of customers to a mere handful and hence our decision to move on.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Thanks for having me on, Dave. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to doing it again!

edited March 2016

@Icebox said:
    I think its a good show really , I like to see it every week , I feel like its hard to be in @Lost_Oasis_Games place , cause I tried to put myself in his place , and I was like what would i say next when my guest is done talking and stays quiet . He has a way of keeping things going. What I dont like is that sometimes it takes a long time , things that could be said in a minute or 2 , drags to 5-10 minutes, but thats just a personal opinion as a viewer. I enjoy the show , and i enjoy getting to know the people in the forums. Thanks for doing it every week @Lost_Oasis_Games and I hope you continue with that.

Yes awkward silence is a no, no in broadcasting and is considered worse than babbling on which you generally see happen with news anchors who have to live report on breaking news and doing a live unscripted show is kinda like that. Usually a scripted or planed talk show does what's called a pre-interview where they ask the guest questions and record their responses and then weed out those questions that a guest might not have much to say about. But that requires a lot more time invlolved for both parties and most guests I would invite don't have that kind of time to invest so it will never be a broadcast like that. That is why from the outside I was talking over my guests but that is just me misjudging how much a guest has to say on a subject or question. The goal of any host is to keep things filled and moving along which requires more skill than may be apparent. Making a talk show interesting for a whole hour is difficult even for the best talent. To get an idea how hard it is just turn on your camera and try talking for an hour and then watch it... The hardest thing to do is watch yourself and evaluate it. I learn to do that when in college as in public speaking classes they make us watch ourselves and when I was in radio we would do broadcast recordings and had to listen to them. I watch each episode and pick myself apart. Sometimes it's painful to watch but the goal is to spot the issues and work to get better and at the sametime not be mechanical or try to tackle too many issues at once or you lose track of other elements. Like the audio issue I showed, that was becuase I was focused on tightening up the transition from the opening graphic and informing the guest we were going live and also setting the next video and audio feeds for the brodcast after the open. This is why most would have a technical director to handle all that so as a host you can just focus on your guest and responses and not worry about the technical stuff. In this broadcast I made a lower third for Braydon and forgot to air it as there is so much going on. Oh well, I could go on and on about the things about the show I pick apart...lol

This gives me an idea maybe I'll do a little behind the scenes video.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

Loved the show @Lost_Oasis_Games and @Braydon_SFX !

Was devastated when I was prevented from watching it live. I would love to see @Braydon_SFX back again.

Keep it up @Lost_Oasis_Games , it is much appreciated and will have a growing positive effect on the community.

@Lost_Oasis_Games
    Dave, I think you are being too hard on yourself. You are doing a great job and I enjoy your broadcasts tremendously.

I've been a DJ, an MC and I produce video, so I understand the complexities and appreciate the effort. May I suggest how to improve this video broadcast and turn it into a hit?

(I know you have a good sense of humour, so take this in fun.) :)

Re-record @Braydon_SFX 's clips and have him ask all the questions you answered! ;)

Title: An in depth interview of the Gamesalad Guru by veteran member Bowlboy. :D

edited March 2016

@PhilipCC said:
    @Lost_Oasis_Games
    Dave, I think you are being too hard on yourself. You are doing a great job and I enjoy your broadcasts tremendously.

I've been a DJ, an MC and I produce video, so I understand the complexities and appreciate the effort. May I suggest how to improve this video broadcast and turn it into a hit?

(I know you have a good sense of humour, so take this in fun.) :)

Re-record @Braydon_SFX 's clips and have him ask all the questions you answered! ;)

Title: An in depth interview of the Gamesalad Guru by veteran member Bowlboy. :D

Lol that is clever.... I think it's good to be demanding of oneself, I don't get down on myself, I just push myself to do better as I know I have the capacity just have to put in the effort. I am going to work on my new graphics for an open and close. I will be having Braydon on many times and well as hopscotch as they enjoy coming on and they are great guests. I've reached out to a few others but they are not confident on air so they politely declined. Getting guests is not easy..lol May I can hire a dancing bear. ;)

Ugh! I was sick all weekend! I slept through it and caught the very last, last bit of it. Damn time zones! Keep it up!

edited March 2016

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    Getting guests is not easy..lol May I can hire a dancing bear. ;)

I'll see if I can rustle up a dancing koala. ;)

Well I could round up some dancers...but it will require ID to get in. ;)