Video ads (Any way to activate without changing scenes?)

Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

Hello,

I would love to have a video ad displayed in my game from time to time, but it seems to only way to do so is have a scene change.
Why is this the case? Is there a way to work around this.
With GS slow loading times, every game I build is on one scene. Therefore having a change scene just takes away from the flow of the game. And players are met with a loading wheel.

I know reward videos are said to be on the table soon, although not seen confirmed so I could be wrong, would there be away to have an option to run a video ad. Just like any other rule?

Thanks,

Comments

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@Two.E

I use the Pause Scene behavior in cases like this. Is fast and returns you to normal game-play scene when done.

Remember to not show more than 20 video ads per player, per day. This is the Chartboost limit.

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

I agree with @Hopscotch
    The pause game behavior is good for this. In the pause scene you only need one actor with a rule to unpause the game. Loads extremely fast even on older devices.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

@Hopscotch said:
    @Two.E

I use the Pause Scene behavior in cases like this. Is fast and returns you to normal game-play scene when done.

Remember to not show more than 20 video ads per player, per day. This is the Chartboost limit.

Thanks.
    How do you control the 20 per day limit?
    Will chart boost just stop fulfilling videos and the game will just pause/unpause without anything happening, or is it the developers job to stop showing after 20?

Thanks,

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@Two.E said:

@Hopscotch said:
    @Two.E

Thanks.
    Will chart boost just stop fulfilling videos and the game will just pause/unpause without anything happening, or is it the developers job to stop showing after 20?

Thanks,

You can limit the amount of ads in chartboost settings. If there's no ad to show, your game will continue normally.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

@Two.E said:

@MentalDonkeyGames

By nature, you usually ask the player if they want to watch a rewarded ad.

This is why, you as developer, needs to control how many have been shown this day.

You don't want to give the user the option, then lead them to an empty page if the Chartboost limit is exceeded.

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 521

@Hopscotch said:

@Two.E said:

@MentalDonkeyGames

By nature, you usually ask the player if they want to watch a rewarded ad.

This is why, you as developer, needs to control how many have been shown this day.

You don't want to give the user the option, then lead them to an empty page if the Chartboost limit is exceeded.

Hi! in the game I am working on, the user should watch a a reward video, to advance to the next level (or to replay the same level). If there is a limitation of 20 videos per day, does that mean that he can not advance when reach 20 videos?
    Then the same problem may occur outside of the USA and Europe, if Chartboost not have ads to show? :(
    Chartboost "fill" the Ad reward value even if there is no advertising?
    I did not know about this, now my work is frozen :worried:

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

How long are the levels? If they are short, putting an ad after every single one of them is WAY too much.

But to answer your question: you don't need to use rewarded ads for what you are describing. Just put a normal video or interstitial ad on the scene switch.

Hi @pHghost , each level are between 5 to 10 mins.
    Sorry but I have no experience with ADs, the interstitial video ad can be interrupted? I use reward because it fill the "Ad reward value" variable and I can use that to confirm that the video ad was watched. I can do that with interstitial video Ad? Thanks

OK, 5-10 minutes is a fair amount of time for showing an ad.

Some interstitials can be interrupted, yeah, and there is no check if it was watched at the end.

There are two things to address here:

Ad limit. With 20 per day, and 5 - 10 minutes per level, you are looking at about up to 3 hours of gameplay each day, which for a mobile game is quite OK, I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Countries without rewarded ads. This is a much bigger problem, as it would completely cripple your game.

Both of these issues could lead to a lot of bad reviews, which would equal business suicide. In all honesty, I think it is better to stick to using to unlock extra content, not the main parts of the game.

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    edited October 2017

Thanks @pHghost

Ad limit. With 20 per day, and 5 - 10 minutes per level, you are looking at about up to 3 hours of gameplay each day, which for a mobile game is quite OK, I wouldn't worry about that too much.

you are right! :smile:

Countries without rewarded ads. This is a much bigger problem, as it would completely cripple your game.

Both of these issues could lead to a lot of bad reviews, which would equal business suicide. In all honesty, I think it is better to stick to using to unlock extra content, not the main parts of the game.

You've left me thinking, maybe you're right.
    I'm thinking of changing the rewards ADs to interstitials AD, which the player must see to move forward, but if there is no AD or if he has no connection, let him move forward anyway. That is, if they want to "cheat" so be it ... but I suppose it will not be the majority.
    That way everyone happy :wink:

@CasualEvolution said:
    I'm thinking of changing the rewards ADs to interstitials AD, which the player must see to move forward, ...

Using normal interstitials to unlock rewarded content is not allowed by the ad companies. The contracts and terms for interstitials are different to those of rewarded ads. Please check with the ad company before you plan your campaigns around this.

• goonergooner Lancaster, PAMember Posts: 135

@MentalDonkeyGames said:
    I agree with @Hopscotch
    The pause game behavior is good for this. In the pause scene you only need one actor with a rule to unpause the game. Loads extremely fast even on older devices.

Sorry to OP for going off topic here ... Is this actor a button that the user must click to unpause? thanks

Hi @Hopscotch thanks for the warning, and what happens if I put a reward video, BUT I give the reward beyond of the "AD reward value" was or not filled?
    I want to avoid "getting stuck" if there is no AD or there is a connection problem.
    This would be easier obviously being able to confirm with the AD provider, if there is AD to show, but since that function is not available, we have to get creative!

@Hopscotch said:
    Using normal interstitials to unlock rewarded content is not allowed by the ad companies.

But this is not what would actually be happening. If you put an interstitial between the levels, you still get an ad impression, but technically you aren't unlocking rewarded content, since the next level will load up even if there isn't an ad served, so it doesn't break any rules.

edited October 2017

Hi @Hopscotch @pHghost
    Actually what I'm thinking, is put a button "watch AD", so that the user is the one who is willing to watch the AD to be able to play the next level. However, I will not confirm if the reward_AD was or not seen. If the system does not send an AD or there is no connection, in any case anyway I will advance to the next level.
    In other words, the user will believe that he unlocked the next level by accepting to see an AD, however, I will advance to the next level without confirmation that he did so.
    What do you think about it? this would be "illegal"? :P

But why even pretend this is so? Why not just simply show an ad on scene change?

edited November 2017

Because in this way in this way, watch an AD it is a voluntary action of player :)